Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Could You Stop Drinking?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Booze (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Could you stop drinking alcohol for a few weeks before an important event?

1. Yes (30 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. No (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

I could stop drinking for a while...now where did I put the vodka?  ;)

Seriously, I did end up in a bit of a mess in my mid-20s. Having left the army, I decided to remain living in Shropshire and ended up out of work for 12 months and drinking heavily every night. One night drunk and crying, I decided to move back home and have never gone down that road of self-destruction again. 

I once went out for my usual drink or four and had a very lucky escape. Having arrived at the pub and sat down with a pint, I realised I'd forgot to take some cigs back for my landlady. Cigs duly delivered, I arrived back at the pub only to find a huge wagon embedded in the pub where I had been sat. I had only been away for perhaps four minutes. Scary!

#22 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

I used to drink to oblivion most nights - didn't go to bed sober for 30 years. One day decided to stop. The first night got no sleep just laid in bed shaking and sweating. Got about 1 hours sleep the second night and by the fifth night my head hit the pillar and was out like a light in minutes. Never looked back and never going back there again. 12 years now.

#23 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

One of the most stupidest things about this whole Hock affair is that speaking from a purely selfish view, who mainly benefits if England were to win the WC? Chiefly I would say the actual players themselves. This might be by way of enhanced contracts, media work or just general celebrity.

Yet in order to possibly achieve this some players can't forgoe a drink for a few weeks? Something that might set themselves up for life? Pretty dumb IMO

#24 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

My body will only allow boozing on Saturday,recovery time is two days.As for smoking,did it for 40years and stopped 5 months ago.Am currently on E-cigs and I've got to tell you I feel a different person.

#25 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

My body will only allow boozing on Saturday,recovery time is two days.As for smoking,did it for 40years and stopped 5 months ago.Am currently on E-cigs and I've got to tell you I feel a different person.

You look fabulous in your sig pic...

:biggrin:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#26 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

A mate of mine was a bit of an alcy and when he tried to stop, I did too out of unity.  

It was very difficult.  I would just skip drinking on Friday (easy), then find something else to do on Saturday evening (OK), then I would be deperate for a drink on Sunday and be hungover on Monday.  I am a fairly moderate drinker and my wife finds it odd that I am cautious about my drinking when I do not drink that much, but I am a fairly moderate drinker because I am so cautious about it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#27 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

I assume we are talking spirits here and not beer as there's hardly any alcohol in that, it's practically a soft drink.....?

28m391z.jpg

#28 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

i enjoy a drink be it red wine, real ale, Stout and other contnentiel beers for the taste and to relax but don't do the get ######/hangover any more.

#29 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

One thing I've noticed, now I'm in my mid-30's, is the afternoon hangover. When you wake up after a night out and feel perfectly fine, go about your day, only to come down with a really sh**ty hangover in the afternoon. It's an absolute pain in the backside because you think you've got away with it. Never had them up until a couple of years back. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#30 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

One thing I've noticed, now I'm in my mid-30's, is the afternoon hangover. When you wake up after a night out and feel perfectly fine, go about your day, only to come down with a really sh**ty hangover in the afternoon. It's an absolute pain in the backside because you think you've got away with it. Never had them up until a couple of years back. 

Try and drink less but every pub should be like Sam Smiths and a have a 2.8% lager/bitter ( more stout like) at £1.65 and £1.35 which are great tasting session beers.

#31 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I assume we are talking spirits here and not beer as there's hardly any alcohol in that, it's practically a soft drink.....?

Really? You've obviously never tried this

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#32 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Am currently on E-cigs and I've got to tell you I feel a different person.

Did s/he come free with the e-cig?

LUNEW.jpg

#33 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

I am surprised how hard many on here have found giving up.

Have done it both times I was pregnant and whilst feeding.

Can take or leave it, never have even a single drink if driving.

Is it something about sports fans?

#34 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

As some of you are aware, I got into trouble last year with my drinking, I have not had a drop since August 5th 2013, and that was the first since April.

I was a 90+units/week guy, now I'm a zero u/wk, and I feel great, better than I've felt in 20 years!

Still got to wait to 2017 for my license though

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#35 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

As some of you are aware, I got into trouble last year with my drinking, I have not had a drop since August 5th 2013, and that was the first since April.

I was a 90+units/week guy, now I'm a zero u/wk, and I feel great, better than I've felt in 20 years!

Still got to wait to 2017 for my license though

I know some of us gave you some stick last year, but good luck with it. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#36 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,288 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

I know I could because I have done it. I had a drink problem when I was 23. I stopped drinking for about 4-5 months, had one relapse and have never been out-of-control drunk since then,

#37 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

I had a few drinks this afternoon to calm the nerves during the Australia game.

#38 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

I had a few drinks this afternoon to calm the nerves during the Australia game.

I hope it was Guinness, not Fosters!

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

I hope it was Guinness, not Fosters!

Newcastle Brown actually!

#40 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

I can stop drinking. I've just finished one now.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."