Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Have we peaked ?

For a while.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Not being the Harbinger of gloom, but does anyone think that some of the Demi excitement and partial superiority we have felt over the last four years maybe on the wain, or does anyone think that the next few seasons will be utopia and Fev will be back in the big league and chasing all asunder? I would love peoples' opinions,

Edited by Andrew Vause, 24 October 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#2 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Far to much change in playing staff for me and a coach we know nothing about :-(

#3 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

You are correct about waves, our (Leigh) wave was 1999-2003, it started to fade 2003 and was on the way down when we eventually made SL.

It is now on the rise again for 2014, optimism sweeping the town, excellent signings, great sponsorships and sound financial backing.

It is very hard to keep a wave if the club cant/doesnt move upwards, the FT clubs in the NFP meant we were always the best PT club in our wave but didn't get promoted when the wave was the greatest. Crowds averaged 3000, and we pulled 10,000 for a challenge cup game

For both our sakes lets hope the vote is for change asap

#4 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

Not being the Harbinger of gloom, but does anyone think that some of the Demi excitement and partial superiority we have felt over the last four years maybe on the wain, or does anyone think that the next few seasons will be utopia and Fev will be back in the big league and chasing all asunder? I would love peoples' opinions,

i think we were on the wane, the last couple of seasons have been increasingly difficult. i also think this is understandable. we were very successful but going nowhere. the new coaching staff and new young ambitious players should bring new enthusiasm, at least i hope it will. as i have said before, it could be like the early days of peter fox.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

In a state of flux. A lot depends on the new coach, how the finances work out and the settling of the SL problems. I can't help feeling that we have geared our cash flow including the million plus that comes from being a SL club. The new development with the Wigan led rebellion will have sent waves of anxiety throughout the clubs as many are having problems. It could all work out but conversely it could all collapse in a pile of confused rubbish. All businesses are down to cash flow in the end and it is hopeful ours has something solid to fall back on if things go wrong.

#6 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Over the last few seasons we have progressed on the field and had a settled team. Big changes this year and I don't see how all these players will be happy so season may be a difficult one if some don't leave. Also a new coach who hasn't coached at this level so it is a difficult question but I have faith in the club and hopefully when we all know what's happening we will continue to push on to better things we all need to stick together and we will get there

#7 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

I don't think they're on the wane, but other clubs have definitely improved. In 2010 and 2011 they were head and shoulders above the rest, and the GF drop goal defeat to Fax was a fluke. They have always under performed in the NR Cup though, so something has been wrong right from the start. Nowadays the extra couple of per cent needed to win the big games is getting harder and harder to find. In the big knockout games, it has been a case of it being Rovers' to lose and the other club's to win, because the underdog finds it easier to raise its game; a bit like Fev versus Cas in reverse!

Lets not forget that Rovers have lost all 3 field goal shoot-outs they have been involved in. These are nothing but a lottery, and bear no reflection on whoever was the better side over 80 minutes. If those results had been reversed, Rovers might easily have had another 3 trophies in their cabinet.

Next year Rovers should be in the running for the league title again, unless the new coach is awful, because the quality is still there, even if the new guys don't come off. But what if one or two of them are a roaring success? Then there's the mid-season signing we seem to get every year, like Will Sharp. If I was ploughing my money into the club, I would be unhappy with the return for my investment, and maybe they have faith in JB to get that extra couple of percent out of the team in the vital games?

They'll be at least in the top 4 again, even if not the very top, and then its down to what happens on the day! 

#8 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Because of the situation regarding the number of players we have..he will find it hard to find a settled side; There is no longer any tightness to the squad and it will be a while before some will gel and therefore we may see a dip next season;  Maybe they will have found the right formula for the business end; Maybe I'll be totally wrong because I always am;

#9 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Might not be a bad thing if expectations are down a little for the start of next season. Last year there were comments from some fans prior to the season that it would be a disappointment if we didn't win all 3 trophies (Shield, Play-offs & NRC) and a let-down is always on the cards when expectations are that high. It's been tough having a target on our backs as the team everyone wants to beat over the last few years - lots of teams appeared to produce their best performance of the season against us last year, for instance - so to be honest I'm not unhappy to read people saying Sheffield are the team to beat, Leigh fans saying they have recruited well (which they have), Batley fans knocking the guys they have sent to us etc.

Next year is a difficult season to weigh up and there will be lots to watch out for early on. For instance, first big decision at the start of the season is will Liam Finn still be captain? I think and hope the answer will be yes but it will be revealing either way. Looking at our squad, I still think we have the personnel to be major players next season, but as Steve Slater says above, anything can happen in one-off matches. One thing's for sure, it's never dull being a Fev fan.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman, 26 October 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#10 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

i think next season is the start of a new era at Fev. the coach seems to be looking at the long term with his new recruits, and i agree expectations are not as high for next season. i, for one can accept that a playoff place will be a good result for us.   we have to be realistic and not be calling for the coaches head after a couple of defeats. the future is looking bright.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#11 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

We will see. The players have to gell and I think the friendlies will give us a good idea of where we stand. It could be that we still have some problems to work out on the finance side of things. A lot depends on the final decision at THE meeting after the World Cup. Feisal's majority new board will no doubt have their own ideas.

#12 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

We will see. The players have to gell and I think the friendlies will give us a good idea of where we stand. It could be that we still have some problems to work out on the finance side of things. A lot depends on the final decision at THE meeting after the World Cup. Feisal's majority new board will no doubt have their own ideas.

Nervous times ahead over the next few weeks! Rovers have a recent unfortunate habit of bad timing whenever things have changed over the last 18 years. If the status quo had remained in place they would have been in pole position for a franchise in the next review, and if we were to change to two leagues of twelve next season would have been irrelevant, and a perfect time to prepare for the future. BUT if it's back to P&R, with the Grand Final winners going up, Rovers' dreams could end up being shattered by the narrowest margin of an extra time drop goal, and all the hard work behind the scenes going down the pan! Would it bring an end to the year-on-year growth in attendances?

Some say they are not bothered about Super League, and that Rovers would be better off staying where they are, but I'm not happy being the team to beat every year, and becoming increasingly unpopular, especially when we poach players from other clubs. It's not what Fev are about......We are traditionally a team of giant killers, a small town club famous for competing with the big boys. Regardless of their inadequate stadium and financial struggles, Wakey have remained in Super League for 15 years, and anything they can do, we can do better!

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

Have to say I've been surprised by some of the signings - time will tell whether they were smart business or not but I expected Feisal to splash the cash a little bit more.  On the other hand, with no certainty about promotion or the format of the competition, maybe he's better keeping his powder dry.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#14 PonteBlue

PonteBlue
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

i think next season is the start of a new era at Fev. the coach seems to be looking at the long term with his new recruits, and i agree expectations are not as high for next season. i, for one can accept that a playoff place will be a good result for us.   we have to be realistic and not be calling for the coaches head after a couple of defeats. the future is looking bright.

Agree. A play off place is a good place to start. Lots of new players, a new coach etc, etc......

Think the side will need time to get to know each other. Hopefully things will gel in time for the business end of the competition.

#15 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Agree. A play off place is a good place to start. Lots of new players, a new coach etc, etc......

Think the side will need time to get to know each other. Hopefully things will gel in time for the business end of the competition.

We should be improving year on year not taking a step back

#16 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

I was surprised to see the amount of support that Lenagan received in the letters to League Express. we all know that changes are needed but the letters seem only to want what is their interests, sod everybody else. We are all RL and the rules should be for the good of the whole structure. One cynic asked how may Championship clubs have had crowds of 10,000. For that matter how many SL clubs get threm. They talk about the flea attempting to wag the dog. Meaning the Championship clubs Others about SL breaking away.

These comments deserve a reply and I will certainly be writing back and I hope others do too.. Have we peaked? , No, but we are in danger of being crushed under the heels of a few SL owners. who want everything their way. I hope Championship clubs and the SL clubs who don't agree with Lenagan get together with a united front. Congratulations to Mark Campbell for his outspoken comments on Lenagan. Lets have some more. Show the powers that be that we mean business.

#17 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

if those s/l clubs were in the championship, how many would get crowds of 10,000. they just show their ignorance.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#18 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

I was surprised to see the amount of support that Lenagan received in the letters to League Express. we all know that changes are needed but the letters seem only to want what is their interests, sod everybody else. We are all RL and the rules should be for the good of the whole structure. One cynic asked how may Championship clubs have had crowds of 10,000. For that matter how many SL clubs get threm. They talk about the flea attempting to wag the dog. Meaning the Championship clubs Others about SL breaking away.

These comments deserve a reply and I will certainly be writing back and I hope others do too.. Have we peaked? , No, but we are in danger of being crushed under the heels of a few SL owners. who want everything their way. I hope Championship clubs and the SL clubs who don't agree with Lenagan get together with a united front. Congratulations to Mark Campbell for his outspoken comments on Lenagan. Lets have some more. Show the powers that be that we mean business.

I suspect that League Express only publishes the letters that suit it's agenda (or gives the impression that those of that view are in the majority).  I've stopped buying it for this reason.  I switched to League Weekly, which has a more balanced view on the subject.

#19 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

I usually buy League Weekly but tried the other for a change. Probably more reason to write if they are only giving Lenagan supporter's point of view. It says beneath my posting 'jamescolin, the shootist' what the heck does that mean? Further what are all the extras about people spying on you. Backdoor advertising?

#20 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

Far to much change in playing staff for me and a coach we know nothing about :-(

But you also have a new conditioner from Warrington who has developed a fantastic gym, poss the best rugby gym in the UK for your lads to use, which will make them stronger, fitter and faster -

Bastion has had proven success at Wolves juniors, and will, IMO lead you onto bigger and better things

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users