Have they done anything?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

One thing that puzzles me about the international game is the low profile of the Kangaroos.
Relative to their Dark Side inferiors their brand seems non existent. You hardly ever see their tops, they don't seem to attract anything like the general acclaim and attention that they deserve. Have they been in any schools, or done any publicity at all? Can it be so difficult to sell the greatest group of rugby players on the planet?
Take this week of all weeks - if a southern hemisphere team comes over in the lesser code, they are generally talked up and so if the northern hemisphere team loses it's never the end of the world.
While selling TGG so wonderfully, I do not recall seeing anything stressing the awe inspiring brilliance of billy Slater and Inglis. Sure, they've been mentioned, but not sold as players that any sports lover would be insane not to want to see. That would have the dual effect of getting people properly watching true masters of their arts and giving us a mitigating line should thing's not go brilliantly tomorrow.
Does the fault lie with the kangaroos themselves - do they not care what anyone thinks of them?

#2 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I've thought that myself. The general public in this country have no idea about the prowess of the Kangaroos. I'd put that partly down to them but mostly down to the media's complete lack of interest. We know the struggle we face in the UK when it comes to the games coverage, the people guilty of that arent going to tell their audience that, in fact, the best Rugby team on the planet isnt, shock horror, the rugger lot.

I think the only way to beat them is to grow the international game to the extent that the buggers cant ignore us - or the Kangaroos - any longer. And hopefully the Wallabies go bust ;-)

#3 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

inb4 boxhead

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#4 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

EW's post is spot on. On the plus side, the RLWC articles in the 'Sport' mag speak about the Roos (and Inglis in particular) in exactly those terms. Likewise SBW.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#5 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Most people in the UK think that the Australian rugby league team will be a pale imitation of the rugby union team.  After all, all they hear suggests that rugby union is a huge sport in Australia and you never really hear about rugby league being a big sport there.  

That my be nonsense, but it is the main perception.  Changing that is not straight forward and that it happens to be true is not a major advantage.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#6 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Most people in the UK think that the Australian rugby league team will be a pale imitation of the rugby union team.  After all, all they hear suggests that rugby union is a huge sport in Australia and you never really hear about rugby league being a big sport there.  

That my be nonsense, but it is the main perception.  Changing that is not straight forward and that it happens to be true is not a major advantage.

That's very true. I have a workmate who's a rugger fan but one who probably knows more about RL than 99% of the population down here (he can name a few players past & present, he knows who the big teams are & he knows Hemel Stags are awesome) and I've been drip feeding him stuff about the disparity in Australia and I can see he's kind of shocked but not letting on - he really had no concept that RL is a bigger beast down under & why would he? When I told him the Wallabies were having their match fees cut due to financial problems he thought I meant the RL side. Then the coup de grace was that there are 5 Aussie Super 15 teams with a combined salary cap of $25M but 15 Aussie NRL teams with a combined salary cap of, think I'm right, $94.5M next year with it set to rise even further.Plus that's with smaller squads required.

But the secret will remain & something like the Lions trip to Australia will always be presented to the Great British Public as a clash against the undisputed sporting titans of Australia (when,in fact, they're now 4th in the pecking order after soccer).

Dont worry though, I'm saving up really hard and hope to have a media empire of my own at some future point.

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

It's such an easy preconception to challenge compared with the ones we've been undermining over the last few weeks, because it's true, anyone can google it and loads have people have been to Australia.

#8 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

I know a bloke who went to Sydney and told me he'd watched an Aussie Rules game. I said who played and he said the Roosters! 

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

It's a very good point EW. We have seen effort and features from pretty much every team over here. We have seen nothing from the Aussies really.

#10 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm always amazed when English people I work with try to give me stick about the Wallabies losing. I tell them I don't give a damn about Union and few do.

I like to set straight the misconception that Union is big in Australia, pointing out (truthfully) that it is probably the 6th most popular sport, and point out the only reason the Wallabies are competitive is because the ARU steals players from NZ and the Pacific.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

The roos maybe low profile but the other nations Samoa/Fiji/tonga/PNG/Kiwis have all taken part in numerous promotions.

#12 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

One thing that puzzles me about the international game is the low profile of the Kangaroos.
Relative to their Dark Side inferiors their brand seems non existent. You hardly ever see their tops, they don't seem to attract anything like the general acclaim and attention that they deserve. Have they been in any schools, or done any publicity at all? Can it be so difficult to sell the greatest group of rugby players on the planet?
Take this week of all weeks - if a southern hemisphere team comes over in the lesser code, they are generally talked up and so if the northern hemisphere team loses it's never the end of the world.
While selling TGG so wonderfully, I do not recall seeing anything stressing the awe inspiring brilliance of billy Slater and Inglis. Sure, they've been mentioned, but not sold as players that any sports lover would be insane not to want to see. That would have the dual effect of getting people properly watching true masters of their arts and giving us a mitigating line should thing's not go brilliantly tomorrow.
Does the fault lie with the kangaroos themselves - do they not care what anyone thinks of them?

Profiles are often built on rivalries. The Wallabies have had a fairly even rivalry with the All Blacks, a strong third team in the Springboks and the odd challenge from England. In contrast, the dominance of the Kangaroos has been pretty much total for three decades, aside from a couple of choke jobs against NZ in the last WC and a 4N final. Sometimes a team can be too good for their own good.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#13 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Is (a small) part of the reason for it not also that Wallabies shirts are seen as somewhat fashionable so loads of people wear them? Kangaroos shirts aren't readily available and, when they are, the prices seem to be exorbitant.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#14 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

they are famous ok, everyone in soho is talking about them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users