Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New signing

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,710 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Looking at the Widnes squad I could see a number of Widnes players going out on long term loans this season. They have around 29 players listed and as one of their fans says we only take players when we need them so there is quite a number not getting game time. It would be farcical for us to be playing against Widnes players playing for other clubs in our league, especially if we have one on DR from them!!

Lads like Declan Hulme, Gilmore, Pickersgill, even Leuluai will not be getting that many first team games.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#102 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Kavanagh,flynn,craven and hulme all have to be realistic targets for regulars up here next year.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#103 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Yeh I like those names . I think one thing we learned is we want guys we can gel in over a length of time . Especially if it's a key area like half . Ask Betts who's less likely to be reserve to Hanbury and Brown ... Gilmore or Craven say ? The uncertainty and infrequency was a little bit destabilising last year , so one down the pecking order on a lengthier spell is far better , who we can integrate . Flynn you'd think should be ok , Hulme to . I guess the forwards can fit in easier on short notice , Kavanagh and Leuleui most welcome .

#104 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

I thought kavanagh got released ??

#105 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

I think he got a 3 yr deal when they hit SL , so I reckon he's got one left . He's done himself no harm in this comp.
Very solid

Edited by DavidM, 08 November 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#106 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

A couple of the Widnes fans on here rate Gilmore very highly so surely we are better giving a guy like him a go for a season rather than having Craven sporadically when he isn't in the first team squad. Declan did himself no harm up here last season and I hope we see quite a bit more of him. The DR was a very mixed bag for us last season, sometimes it seems we were offered players and didn't take them, then when we needed players we struggled to get anyone. Will be interesting to see how both clubs play it this season.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#107 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Did he not go to cas last year ?? (Kavanagh)

#108 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ben Davies ... Then on to Fax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users