Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The positives of living in the UK?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

We've had the debates regards energy prices, scandals, education, religion etc. But what about the positives of living in the UK? Travelling recently from Ambleside to Keswick in the Lake District, the surrounding hills and countryside was simply breathtaking, dressed as it was in its glorious autumn colour; a dream for any photographer. Called also to Arnside, where the views are just as stunning and place so laid back. We do indeed have much to enjoy. What's your positives? 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#2 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

The cheese is very nice.

People are politer than most people.

Most of Europe envies the concept of the local pub.

The humour is special and admired throughout most of the world.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#3 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

The cheese is very nice.

People are politer than most people.

Most of Europe envies the concept of the local pub.

The humour is special and admired throughout most of the world.

Unless it's a Weatherspoons or Sam Smiths the local Pub is only for people who got money.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Despite what you read in the tabloids and see on TV, most of the natives are friendly.

Despite what the French* and Americans may tell you, the food and drink is damn good.

There are parts of the country whose beauty will leave you stunned and exultant.

*a classic example of one event being held up as a tendency. Honestly, we burn one Joan of Arc, just one, and our continental neighbours never stop banging on about how we overcook everything.

Edited by Futtocks, 25 October 2013 - 03:28 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

We get to vote for our MPs secretly.

We get to slag them off openly while doing it.

#6 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

This country, for all it's flaws is simply brilliant.

#7 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have enjoyed many cottage holidays/bed and breakfasts in places such as St Davids in South Wales, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Oxfordshire, other parts of the Cotswolds, London, Northumbria, North Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland etc Armed as always with my National Trust card, there is so much to see, as well as some fabulous walks. Been abroad many times, but my heart is here in the UK. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 25 October 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Unless it's a Weatherspoons or Sam Smiths the local Pub is only for people who got money.

That working for a living is a poor way of making ends meet is pretty much the only major drawback.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#9 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,875 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

Walking in Cumbria, Devon/Cornwall, Forest of Dean, South Downs, Malvern Hills, Scotland (rural bits) etc...

Castles, history, beer, whisky, amazing variety of food, local rivalries, 

Probably lots more

28m391z.jpg

#10 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

That working for a living is a poor way of making ends meet is pretty much the only major drawback.

A pint/chicken breasts going to watch the game are well above what they should be.

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Walking in Cumbria, Devon/Cornwall, Forest of Dean, South Downs, Malvern Hills, Scotland (rural bits) etc...

Castles, history, beer, whisky, amazing variety of food, local rivalries, 

Probably lots more

Once walked the Pennine Way and some amazing scenery and fun along the route. One lad sank up to his knees in a bog on Kinder Scout. Being quite big, it was a job and a half getting him out.  ;)

Edited by Saint Billinge, 25 October 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

I like knowing that if the urge took me I could drive to where Jeremy Clarkson lives, stove his head in with a piece of masonary and be back home within 90 minutes of such a humanitarian act.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,070 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thé diversity of people and cultures that stands firm despite the efforts to erode it by bigots

Pork pies

Beer

Buildings

Thé right of everyone to have gelant care: something that Is having to be defended as hard as it wass to fight for in the first place

Holby city

Casualty

M'y home and family

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 October 2013 - 07:22 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#14 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Sutherland and Assynt

#15 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

After travelling to a few countries...

We are pretty tolerant.

Pretty rational.

Pretty innovative.

Pretty calm.

Generally nice. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#16 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

It's dead handy for Larry the Leit to be able to nip over to the continent with his band.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#17 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

I agree!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

I posted this on the random link thread but it's worth a read to see how the US viewed us in WW2. Some things have changed a lot, others haven't.
http://www.hardscrab...ww2/britain.htm

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#19 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

I agree!

There's a first time for everything. :)

(and so do I )
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#20 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Sutherland and Assynt

Assynt is beautiful.

Stopped at the Inchnadamph Hotel on my first University geology field trip - the area is very important in the history of geology.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users