Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The positives of living in the UK?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

The British coastline, amazingly diverse and with some absolutely beautiful towns and villages dotted along it and stretches of isolation despite this being thought of as an overcrowded island.

Our ability to laugh at ourselves and our freedom to laugh at and satirise our politicians.

The NHS.

The traditional English pub and the large diversity of real beer available. I like strolling into a pub I haven't frequented before and finding a new (or old for that matter) beer I haven't come across before. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#42 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

The British coastline, amazingly diverse and with some absolutely beautiful towns and villages dotted along it and stretches of isolation despite this being thought of as an overcrowded island.

Our ability to laugh at ourselves and our freedom to laugh at and satirise our politicians.

The NHS.

The traditional English pub and the large diversity of real beer available. I like strolling into a pub I haven't frequented before and finding a new (or old for that matter) beer I haven't come across before. 

Watched Robson Greene's documentary about Northumberland, an area of outstanding beauty yet still undiscovered by many. Also, the coastline in Northern Ireland is amazing. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Watched Robson Greene's documentary about Northumberland, an area of outstanding beauty yet still undiscovered by many. Also, the coastline in Northern Ireland is amazing. 

That reminds me of Bill Bryson's reaction to seeing Durham for the first time. He was actually angry about it. Why? Because he'd lived in Britain for all these years and nobody had told him that such a beautiful place existed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have a very selfish desire to keep areas like Kielder Forest quiet.  It's one of the few truly undisturbed yet truly beautiful places in Britain.  Too many beautiful areas of Scotland are over-visited meaning it's hard to get every bit of peace from them.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#45 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,313 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Scandinavians are seen as very well behaved, and they are as long as everything is going as expected.  The trains were cancelled for the storm and it has been a battle of everyone for themselves ever since.  The behaviour would not be acceptable in the UK.  We may be a mess when things are OK, but often pull ourselves together when things go wrong.  Many more sensible nations are the opposite way round.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#46 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have a very selfish desire to keep areas like Kielder Forest quiet.  It's one of the few truly undisturbed yet truly beautiful places in Britain.  Too many beautiful areas of Scotland are over-visited meaning it's hard to get every bit of peace from them.

Indeed. You wouldn't want Donald Trump building a golfists' playground there, would you?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#47 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

The wonderful thing about Northumbria is the quietness when out and about on the roads. It's certainly true that it is not on the same radar as such places like the Lake District. I did once get attacked by a tern when visiting the Farne Islands. ;)  

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#48 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

The days where you could join a Rugby/Cricket club as a non paying member so you could take advantage of the cheap beer is long gone.

Try Leigh RUFC have their own bitter Round Ash goes down a treat.

Posted Image

#49 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Try Leigh RUFC have their own bitter Round Ash goes down a treat.

Haven't Saints got their own beer as well?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#50 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Haven't Saints got their own beer as well?

Yes but it is a bog standard Robinsons Keg brew. As far as beer at a sports ground goes its ok. But it's nothing to write home about.

#51 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I have a very selfish desire to keep areas like Kielder Forest quiet. It's one of the few truly undisturbed yet truly beautiful places in Britain.

"Undisturbed"? It's a man made forest and reservoir.

LUNEW.jpg

#52 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

That's very true but it's home to some of the UK's most endangered species, it's fantastically beautiful at the right times of the year and it's ignored by so many people for your reasons that it's almost deserted all year round.  In terms of sheer beauty, it's not quite to the quality of Loch Lomond, Glencoe or the Lake District but it's far less covered in tourists who'll happily spoil it with litter and other mess.

Take, for example, the east side of Loch Lomond, it's the only area of Scotland where you can't go wild camping because so many people have exploited that privilege and ruined it for the rest of us.  The idea of wild camping is that you leave the area as you found it yet you get parties of people turning up in vans, having parties, leaving their litter and spoiling the areas.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#53 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Much of our natural landscape is manmade.  Humans have been at it for thousands of years.

#54 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,166 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Much of our natural landscape is manmade. Humans have been at it for thousands of years.

Correct
Sheep have had a massive effect on the Lake District and the dales: without them both places would look very different
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#55 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,640 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

This, too. "In the OECD as a whole, the poor employment situation had a major impact on life satisfaction. This trend is not visible in the United Kingdom where, from 2007 to 2012, the percentage of British people declaring being very satisfied with their lives increased from 63% to 64%."

see http://www.theguardi...ty-of-life-oecd

#56 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,166 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

chippy tea

a true english institution, which I don't indulge in very often these days

had one last night from Midgeleys in West park. Triple mushies(which I admit is pushing it a bit), brown sauce big mug of tea.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#57 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,313 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

Most of the world things far more of Britain than we realise.  I bought my cap from the Engelsk Herremagasin (English Gentlemens' Store), which is a large store for anglo-phile Danish men.  Englishmen are pretty much the first choice of Scandinavian women.  Even the Faroe Islands and adopted strong tea with milk and fish and chips from the UK.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Most of the world things far more of Britain than we realise.  I bought my cap from the Engelsk Herremagasin (English Gentlemens' Store), which is a large store for anglo-phile Danish men.  Englishmen are pretty much the first choice of Scandinavian women.  Even the Faroe Islands and adopted strong tea with milk and fish and chips from the UK.

There's a strong streak of Britophilia in Japan, too. Original-model Minis, red telephone boxes, old Garrard turntables, etc. - loads have been shipped to Japan over the years.And they just love Scotch whisky.

#59 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

China built it's own Thames Town

#60 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Englishmen are pretty much the first choice of Scandinavian women.

Really? Where's my passport?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users