McNamara might have to leave the country

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#21 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Like I said on Twitter earlier, he's either a man on the verge of a breakdown or he's trying to play a very clever game. He doesn't come across as a hothead usually, so I think there is more to this.

The media were clearly trying to wind him up too, the worst thing he could do was to warn them because they knew he'd backed himself into a corner and just kept asking.

#22 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

I saw Roughyedspud walk out of the Plough once when the Stella was too warm.

#23 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

All the journo's clearly didn't expect him to walk out otherwise they wouldn't have continued with that line of questioning.. 

Had he stayed and answered the questions as they'd have preferred we would have got zero column inches on the press conference in tomorrows rags. Now he's walked out we're much more likely to get some coverage.

What makes me laugh is that the Journo's are properly upset about it all!.. Danny Lockwood has spent all afternoon on twitter digging out McNamara!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#24 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

I left before the end of the 2004 Tri Series final at Elland Road. The only time I have ever left a stadium before the end. Have never been so upset/deflated at a game.

#25 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

I quite like the stubborn streak he shows. He is his own man and will live or die by the decisions he makes, good on him.

As has been pointed out, Mourinho and Ferguson have done this kind of thing, and had plenty of debates with the media - that doesn't mean they are out of their depth!

I know where you are coming from but they are completely different scenarios. They earned respect from players before he even coached them. Ferguson through his sheer length of time at United and proving he knows how to make Manchester United win matches, Mourinho proving he can turn sides into title winning sides like did at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Madrid. These accolades earn respect off players. McNamara has not earned this yet.

He wants to do things his own way. But where has he showed his own way works. Before you can say your opinion is right you have to proven it has been in the past. McNamara just hasn't.

In sport you only earn the right to ignore everybody elses opinion once you prove your own is right. Nobody has any reason to believe McNamara is doing the right thing. We do not know McNamaras logic behind his decisions.

Why should we believe it is the right decision to not pick the two best half backs in SL. Why should we believe it is the right decision to drop arguably the best prop in the world or drop one of the most destructive back rowers in the world. Why should we believe he is right to leave 75% of the dream team out of the England squad.

All these decisions are very bold ones. They're are obviously going to annoy people as you cant please everyone. Credit to McNamara for doing it as you say at least he is doing it in his own way. But when Fergie sold Beckham United fans said calm down Fergie knows what he is doing and I believed them. If you said to me calm down McNamara knows what he is doing I just can't believe you even though I want to. He just doesn't have the credentials to back it up.

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

He warned the media not to ask questions about Hock etc but they persisted. End of conference. Clearly taking a leaf out of Fergies book and good on him, too.

#27 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

On a lighter note, why when you want to make a dramatic exit do you always push the wrong door. See 1.20 of this video. :biggrin:  LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/24675754

#28 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Danny lockwoods tweets are far more embarrassing than anything Steve McNamara has done.

Also is it me or are the same people who said McNamara should have dealt with it in house now having a go at him for keeping the details in house?

McNamara has actually gone up in my estimation over the last week.

#29 BULLETT

BULLETT
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Anecdote alert; My local shop owners who never pick up on the challenge cup, grant final etc promos mentioned the 'walk out'. Job done !

#30 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

What did he think they were going to ask him?

I'm sure the England PR team would have briefed him - that's their job, after all.

I guess he just got fed up of fielding questions about that when he wants to remain positive… what's wrong with that? It might annoy the press and it's not ideal, but he's tried to draw a line under it and they keep pushing (as they naturally will).
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#31 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

just seen the footage on calendar, didn't have a clue what he was saying before I think caught "ok guys the coach is leaving"

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#32 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

It looked like that there has been a couple of PR people telling him how react to stuff like this. It has taken the focus off the situation and now the media are talking about him waling out rather than the booze situation.

#33 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

It looked like that there has been a couple of PR people telling him how react to stuff like this. It has taken the focus off the situation and now the media are talking about him waling out rather than the booze situation.

He looked a bit grumpy, like he was actually wound up. To be fair, he did make it clear he wouldn't answer any more questions on the subject as it's been dealt with (and the England statement the other day said the same). He's perfectly within his rights not to talk about it.

Sadly, it does mean the knives have been sharpened, so if we get a flogging tomorrow he's going to be under serious pressure. I bet Tim Sheens is loving this, though to be fair to him he seems to think it will galvanise England and they'll have a point to prove. He could be right… here's hoping!
www.bristolsonics.com

#34 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

Didn't seem that bad the press conference... Personally I thought "good on him" for sticking to his guns and doing as he said he would.   I personally dislike the job most journalist do and all their interested in is only provoking reaction to get a story.   Most don't give a damn about anyone or anything except to get a coup, a reaction in order to get an head line and get them as high up on news channels as possible.     As a professional they stink, all though no doubt journalists would say they are not all the same.  So yep you need to be able to handle the press, but Mcnamara isn't the only one to have such situations and one thing for sure Fergie wouldn't tolerate it... in fact he would ban the said journalist and news organisation from future press conferences as he has done a few times and they for sure soon adapt. Unfortunately for McNamara or any RL coach they haven't the aura for journalists not to try it on.  

#35 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

He looked a bit grumpy, like he was actually wound up. To be fair, he did make it clear he wouldn't answer any more questions on the subject as it's been dealt with (and the England statement the other day said the same). He's perfectly within his rights not to talk about it.

Sadly, it does mean the knives have been sharpened, so if we get a flogging tomorrow he's going to be under serious pressure. I bet Tim Sheens is loving this, though to be fair to him he seems to think it will galvanise England and they'll have a point to prove. He could be right… here's hoping!

It won't matter whichever way the result or performance goes... Mcnamara won't get any credit if it goes well as it will be the players but he will be the one to cop it if it goes wrong as it will only be him at fault.... those with an axe to ground have already decided about him already no matter what.  He should recognize he can't win and just ignore it.....

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

I know where you are coming from but they are completely different scenarios. They earned respect from players before he even coached them. Ferguson through his sheer length of time at United and proving he knows how to make Manchester United win matches, Mourinho proving he can turn sides into title winning sides like did at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Madrid. These accolades earn respect off players. McNamara has not earned this yet.

He wants to do things his own way. But where has he showed his own way works. Before you can say your opinion is right you have to proven it has been in the past. McNamara just hasn't.

In sport you only earn the right to ignore everybody elses opinion once you prove your own is right. Nobody has any reason to believe McNamara is doing the right thing. We do not know McNamaras logic behind his decisions.

Why should we believe it is the right decision to not pick the two best half backs in SL. Why should we believe it is the right decision to drop arguably the best prop in the world or drop one of the most destructive back rowers in the world. Why should we believe he is right to leave 75% of the dream team out of the England squad.

All these decisions are very bold ones. They're are obviously going to annoy people as you cant please everyone. Credit to McNamara for doing it as you say at least he is doing it in his own way. But when Fergie sold Beckham United fans said calm down Fergie knows what he is doing and I believed them. If you said to me calm down McNamara knows what he is doing I just can't believe you even though I want to. He just doesn't have the credentials to back it up.

But how can you prove that your way is right without it being the end of his reign? He cannot be judged yet. In another 6 weeks we will have an idea whether the work and strategies he has been adopting over the last couple of years have worked.

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

In sport you only earn the right to ignore everybody elses opinion once you prove your own is right.

That would be impossible. How can you test your own methods if you are not allowed to ignore others?

#38 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Didn't seem that bad the press conference... Personally I thought "good on him" for sticking to his guns and doing as he said he would.   I personally dislike the job most journalist do and all their interested in is only provoking reaction to get a story.   Most don't give a damn about anyone or anything except to get a coup, a reaction in order to get an head line and get them as high up on news channels as possible.     As a professional they stink, all though no doubt journalists would say they are not all the same.  So yep you need to be able to handle the press, but Mcnamara isn't the only one to have such situations and one thing for sure Fergie wouldn't tolerate it... in fact he would ban the said journalist and news organisation from future press conferences as he has done a few times and they for sure soon adapt. Unfortunately for McNamara or any RL coach they haven't the aura for journalists not to try it on.

Those journos should stop whining and thank Steve Mac - by getting grumpy and walking out, he's given them a far better story than if he'd mumbled some boring coach-speak.

It's definitely good PR for the comp, though he didn't need to give the joyless citizens that make up the RL press corps another reason to whine (watch this come back and bite me on the behind tomorrow, when I'm dealing with them at the Millennium!)
www.bristolsonics.com

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

I reckon the journos on Twitter are sounding like a real sour bunch. They were clearly digging for a juicy story sbout a boozy punch up. They then get arsey when their questions are not answered.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#40 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

the more you ignore him, the closer he gets -were wasting our time

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users