McNamara might have to leave the country

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

If England lose tomorrow, the RFL should sack him and bring over Wayne Bennett immediately (pay whatever it takes).

The WC is too important to the game over here to leave the team at the mercy of a oath who has achieved nothing in the game.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 BULLETT

BULLETT
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

But how can you prove that your way is right without it being the end of his reign? He cannot be judged yet. In another 6 weeks we will have an idea whether the work and strategies he has been adopting over the last couple of years have worked.

I agree totally with you on how we should in the end judge McNamara’s tactics. But for me the bigger test is how we reengage the UK public to RL. A perfect end for UK RL would be England V Wales in the final but as much as we can dream that is unlikely to happen.   Next best for me would be loads of ‘incidents’ preferable good ones but we have to except that there will be moments when we have to handle them the best way we can. That’s what happened today and it did the trick for me

#43 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

That would be impossible. How can you test your own methods if you are not allowed to ignore others?

Macnamara's methods were tested in the club game, and exposed as hopeless.

He shouldn't be in the position, simple as that.

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Macnamara's methods were tested in the club game, and exposed as hopeless.

He shouldn't be in the position, simple as that.

Whilst I am not McNamara's biggest fan, and i do think we could do better, I do think he gets plenty of unfair stick.

The reality is that club coaching is very different to International coaching.

#45 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

On a lighter note, why when you want to make a dramatic exit do you always push the wrong door. See 1.20 of this video. :biggrin:  LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/24675754

Iv'e no problem with what he's done, typical journo's wanting gossip for cheap stories instead of good quality, in depth rugby material for decent articles. Good on you Steve Mc

#46 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Whilst I am not McNamara's biggest fan, and i do think we could do better, I do think he gets plenty of unfair stick.

The reality is that club coaching is very different to International coaching.

That I would not disagree with, but surely an international coach should be required to have some sort of pedigree?

This guy has nothing, and if the players don't respect him due to that, then we have a big problem on our hands.

#47 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,098 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

I agree totally with you on how we should in the end judge McNamara’s tactics. But for me the bigger test is how we reengage the UK public to RL. A perfect end for UK RL would be England V Wales in the final but as much as we can dream that is unlikely to happen.   Next best for me would be loads of ‘incidents’ preferable good ones but we have to except that there will be moments when we have to handle them the best way we can. That’s what happened today and it did the trick for me

Ré engagé? When was it engaged in

The first place

I get the impression That thé public have been env engaged in this world cup like never before

I Aldo think mcnamara has shown à great deal of moral strength good for him

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 25 October 2013 - 06:32 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

That I would not disagree with, but surely an international coach should be required to have some sort of pedigree?

This guy has nothing, and if the players don't respect him due to that, then we have a big problem on our hands.

He did serve his apprenticeship as an assistant.

Again, I think people are harsh with him as I have actually quite enjoyed watching England under his reign.

Like i said earlier, I'll hold off until after this WC as this is what it has all been building to.

#49 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Years ago RL journos were mythical figures, roaming from ground to ground, seemingly stocked up with as much inside info as Syd Scoop or The Insider.

The perception, for me at least, has completely since seeing them repeatedly on SL Backchat. The combination of fairly ludicrous self-importance and, most disturbingly, often quite evident lack of knowledge and an inability (Chris Irvine) to grasp slightly complex concepts is astonishing.

Edited by M j M, 25 October 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#50 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

He did serve his apprenticeship as an assistant.

Again, I think people are harsh with him as I have actually quite enjoyed watching England under his reign.

Like i said earlier, I'll hold off until after this WC as this is what it has all been building to.

I've said in another thread that I am going to stop getting involved in discussion about him now, so I will stop.

However, when we get flogged tomorrow, and end up nowhere near the final, then the guy has got to go, and we need a real RL coach to be out in charge.

C'mon England.

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

I've said in another thread that I am going to stop getting involved in discussion about him now, so I will stop.

However, when we get flogged tomorrow, and end up nowhere near the final, then the guy has got to go, and we need a real RL coach to be out in charge.

C'mon England.

fair enough mate!

enjoy the game.

#52 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

fair enough mate!

enjoy the game.

I hope so, you too.

#53 BULLETT

BULLETT
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Ré engagé? When was it engaged in

The first place

I

When we had Shaun Edwards on BBC breakfast signing for wigan. And I agree with you on Mcnamra.

#54 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

just seen the footage on calendar, didn't have a clue what he was saying before I think caught "ok guys the coach is leaving"

There you go, why is everyone making a song and dance about this?
The guy had travelled to the press conference by public transport and he had to get the bus home.
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#55 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Napoleon Bonaparte was told great things about one of his generals, "Oui, oui" said the French despot "but does he have luck ?". Steve McNamara is an unlucky coach. Doomed to take over the reins at Bradford once the money had run out appearing as the Frank O'Farrell figure to Nobby's Matt Busby. He then after serving his apprenticeship takes over the reins of the national side from Tony Smith at a time when the gap between Super League and the NRL which for a time had appeared to have closed in the mid noughties widened to grand canyonesque proportions.

It's not McNamara's fault that the quality of player available in the northern hemisphere has decined in relation to the NRL

He will indeed be the last England / GB coach to enter a world cup with the majority of his squad from Super League

He may even be the last full time coach England has for a while

He certainly cannot be held responsible for the actions of certain professionals, who ignoring an agreed team rule chose to go on the razz, after an embarrassing defeat in a trial game against a nation with NO rugby league pedigree. Nor does he blub to the press that he did nothing wrong or more brazenly thought he played well in the aftermentioned defeat.  

I do not know the bloke personally but he strikes me as a man of integrity, who has set process in place during his tenure as coach that could be of great use to whoever may suceed him. It also a fact that at press conferences with any Australians it should be noted that whatever the sport Aussie journalists see themselves as self-appointed cheerleaders for the green and gold and were no doubt loving it today.

Steve McNamara is our coach he deserves our support in this tournament leave any inquests for afterwards.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#56 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

I'd walk out of a room containing Chris Irvine, Dave Hadfield and Danny Lockwood.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#57 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

There are no sports journalists anymore, they're sports controversyists.

They seem to have this belief that people have to speak to them and give them the answers they want, when they want. And woe betide anyone who doesn't play their game.

The infamous Cantona press conference about seagulls, trawlers and sardines was the perfect example of this. Labelled as "gobbledegook" by the Independent, when everyone who wasn't a media hack knew exactly what he meant.

EXCLUSIVE: I'm not their biggest fan....SHOCKA

#58 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

All this is kind of reminding me of the film Mike Basset: England Manager...

If only Macca had quoted If. Then said England will play 4-4-2 before storming out

#59 BULLETT

BULLETT
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

I'd walk out of a room containing Chris Irvine, Dave Hadfield and Danny Lockwood.

To be fair to create a totally dramatic scene one would not walk into a room containing those three.

#60 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

I come from a position of not being the greatest fan of Mcnamara. However with the events of the last few days I'm definitely warming to him. Good on him sticking to his guns first with hockgate and now this.

Whether intentional or not he has now taken pressure of the team. This can only be a good thing.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users