Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

McNamara might have to leave the country

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,111 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Deffo generating more news than a series of 'the lads are in good spirits' etc etc quotes anyway.

Now if only someone gets arrested for drunkenly haranguing the press box tomorrow.  B)

#62 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

All this is kind of reminding me of the film Mike Basset: England Manager...

If only Macca had quoted If. Then said England will play 4-4-2 before storming out

Let's hope his speech at the end of the tournament isn't "Four more years".

#63 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Ain't got a problem with McNamara walking out.. I applaud his stance. No prizes for which Journo was moaning about this on twitter.

Chris Irvine?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#64 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Chris Irvine?

Bingo! We have a winner.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#65 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

On a lighter note, why when you want to make a dramatic exit do you always push the wrong door. See 1.20 of this video. :biggrin:  LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/24675754

Just watched that. Good on him.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#66 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

I quite like the stubborn streak he shows. He is his own man and will live or die by the decisions he makes, good on him.

As has been pointed out, Mourinho and Ferguson have done this kind of thing, and had plenty of debates with the media - that doesn't mean they are out of their depth!

Like comparing a pair of Rolls Royce with a Lada. Mourinho and Ferguson were winners who earned the right to act like prima donnas and get away with it.. McNamara has won nothing and just looked unprofessional.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#67 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Didn't Fergie once walk out of a press conference? It's nothing new and will happen again. It's now important for the team to gel together for the sake of the game over here, lest the media wolves really will be out for a tasty meal.

Not a football buff but I think Fergie walked out of a press conference and refused to speak to some journalists for YEARS. Would not hold a press conference if they were there.

That's the way to do it!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#68 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Like has been eloquently said before there is no real comparison between Fergie and Macca.
It looks like petulance at the moment rather than dismissive behaviour. I really hope he is more astute than what he's portrayed and his decision's are vindicated but It reall is a major hope at the moment.
waddell

#69 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Bingo! We have a winner.

And I've only just found out about this just now! Not even looked at twitter yet!

#70 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Now if only someone gets arrested for drunkenly haranguing the press box tomorrow. B)

I'll see what I can do. ;-)
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#71 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,111 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Like comparing a pair of Rolls Royce with a Lada. Mourinho and Ferguson were winners who earned the right to act like prima donnas and get away with it.. McNamara has won nothing and just looked unprofessional.

On the contrary, I think he handled the persistent and childish questioning quite professionally. He gave ample warning and eventually walked out.

#72 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

Not a football buff but I think Fergie walked out of a press conference and refused to speak to some journalists for YEARS. Would not hold a press conference if they were there.

That's the way to do it!

Fergie refused to do interviews with or have present anyone from the BBC after they did an article criticising his son. He walked out several times once he spotted anyone with BBC connections at the conference.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#73 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

On the contrary, I think he handled the persistent and childish questioning quite professionally. He gave ample warning and eventually walked out.

I'll agree to disagree. He was like a petulant child avoiding an inevitable question rather than tackling it head on. No disgrace in putting it to bed as a 'disciplinary' matter. We moan about lack of media coverage for RL, then we have the spotlight and treat journos like that. No wonder we are never taken seriously - McNamara has neither the track record or profile to act the prima donna.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#74 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,111 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'll agree to disagree. He was like a petulant child avoiding an inevitable question rater than tackling it head on. No disgrace in putting it to bed as a 'disciplinary' matter. We moan about lack of media coverage for RL, then we have the spotlight and treat journos like that. No wonder we are never taken seriously - McNamara has neither the track record or profile to act the prima donna.

The journalists were clearly after some gossip. He clearly wanted to keep it under wraps. Why couldn't they respect that and ask questions about the forthcoming game?

#75 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

The journalists were clearly after some gossip. He clearly wanted to keep it under wraps. Why couldn't they respect that and ask questions about the forthcoming game?

I'm sure they would have if the press conference hasn't ended abruptly at the six minute mark. However you need to face the fact that controversy is news - it happens, you deal with it and move on. Instead the questions will persist and will only get worse if England lose tomorrow.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#76 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,111 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

It only ended because they kept pushing the matter. They should have moved on to another question. Or is respect and professionalism only expected of certain people?

#77 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

It only ended because they kept pushing the matter. They should have moved on to another question. Or is respect and professionalism only expected of certain people?

What world of fluffy kitten journalism do you live in?

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#78 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,111 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

What world of fluffy kitten journalism do you live in?

Yeah it's really cutting edge stuff why a player got picked or not. :rolleyes:

#79 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,554 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

When we had Shaun Edwards on BBC breakfast signing for wigan. And I agree with you on Mcnamra.

And you equate that with thé media attention this world cup is betting?

And Edwards signing on breakfast tv equates with an engagement of thé british public with rugby league

Well wé live and learn

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#80 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yeah it's really cutting edge stuff why a player got picked or not. :rolleyes:

Then why didn't he just answer the questions? I get that now is the time to be patriotic, but I just can't understand how McNamara's behaviour is in any way acceptable. Dealing with the media in a professional manner is part of the job.

Edited by giwildgo, 25 October 2013 - 09:48 PM.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant