Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

McNamara might have to leave the country

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#81 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

Then why didn't he just answer the questions? I get that now is the time to be patriotic, but I just can't understand how McNamara's behaviours is in any way acceptable. Dealing with the media in a professional manner is part of the job.

I'm pretty sure that it is only upon release of his book that Alex Ferguson has said what really went on with Beckham and why he left the club. Sometimes it is up to an individual what they want to comment on.
I happen to think that it was the journalists who were out of order here.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#82 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

I fully expect England to lose tomorrow. It is not the result that bothers me but the performance. If we can trouble them like we did at wembley a few years ago it will set the tournament up great. We are 3rd in the world. Therefore, worse than semis and SM will be in trouble, lose in semis is what should happen according to any rankings you look at. Final would be a huge bonus and winking it would be unbelievable.

#83 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

If Ellery Hanley had been Coach and walked out we wouldn't be questioning things, as he already has the players respect but then again I don't feel he would of needed to kick Gareth hock out to prove he is in control.
waddell

#84 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Then why didn't he just answer the questions? I get that now is the time to be patriotic, but I just can't understand how McNamara's behaviour is in any way acceptable. Dealing with the media in a professional manner is part of the job.

He did deal with them, he told them he wouldn't be answering questions regarding those players but they didn't listen so he gave them the respect they deserved.

Just read Danny lockwoods twitter musings he sounds like a scool child not a journalist.

#85 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

I know where you are coming from but they are completely different scenarios. They earned respect from players before he even coached them. Ferguson through his sheer length of time at United and proving he knows how to make Manchester United win matches, Mourinho proving he can turn sides into title winning sides like did at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Madrid. These accolades earn respect off players. McNamara has not earned this yet.

He wants to do things his own way. But where has he showed his own way works. Before you can say your opinion is right you have to proven it has been in the past. McNamara just hasn't.

In sport you only earn the right to ignore everybody elses opinion once you prove your own is right. Nobody has any reason to believe McNamara is doing the right thing. We do not know McNamaras logic behind his decisions.

Why should we believe it is the right decision to not pick the two best half backs in SL. Why should we believe it is the right decision to drop arguably the best prop in the world or drop one of the most destructive back rowers in the world. Why should we believe he is right to leave 75% of the dream team out of the England squad.

All these decisions are very bold ones. They're are obviously going to annoy people as you cant please everyone. Credit to McNamara for doing it as you say at least he is doing it in his own way. But when Fergie sold Beckham United fans said calm down Fergie knows what he is doing and I believed them. If you said to me calm down McNamara knows what he is doing I just can't believe you even though I want to. He just doesn't have the credentials to back it up.

Brilliant post. All about credibility. If we lose by 30 or more later today he will struggle to come back from it.

#86 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

On a lighter note, why when you want to make a dramatic exit do you always push the wrong door. See 1.20 of this video. :biggrin: LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/24675754

Just watched it. Actually feel sorry for him now. He could not handle the situation. Out of his depth - to think it wasn't going to dominate the conference shows a complete lack of awareness.

Not sure who is in charge if press relations but they are out if their depth as well. He looks a lonely isolated guy right now.

#87 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

Just watched it. Actually feel sorry for him now. He could not handle the situation. Out of his depth - to think it wasn't going to dominate the conference shows a complete lack of awareness.

Not sure who is in charge if press relations but they are out if their depth as well. He looks a lonely isolated guy right now.

I'm sorry but you are just making things up now. He didn't look out of his depth or isolated, he looked very much in control of the situation. He demonstrated this by walking away from the deaf journalists who couldn't hear the bit about not wanting to talk about individuals.

#88 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

He looked a bit rattled in general and he looked on the verge of tears at one stage, which is probably to be expected in the circumstances.

I hope it does not affect Englands game today, we need a good competitive game to start the Tournament off.

Edited by boxhead, 25 October 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#89 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

I'm sorry but you are just making things up now. He didn't look out of his depth or isolated, he looked very much in control of the situation. He demonstrated this by walking away from the deaf journalists who couldn't hear the bit about not wanting to talk about individuals.

I'm not making anything up - I'm describing what I saw.

If that had been me I would have been really disappointed in myself when I watched it back.

"I've got to go, the bus is going" is right out of the top drawer

#90 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

I'm not making anything up - I'm describing what I saw.

If that had been me I would have been really disappointed in myself when I watched it back.

"I've got to go, the bus is going" is right out of the top drawer

But it isn't you is it? That's because you are sat behind a keyboard criticising instead of doing the job that is a piece of cake ie leading England to victory. Damn shame you never bothered bro, we could have done with your expertise.

#91 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

But it isn't you is it? That's because you are sat behind a keyboard criticising instead of doing the job that is a piece of cake ie leading England to victory. Damn shame you never bothered bro, we could have done with your expertise.

No. It's not me. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't think many of us on here are in the squad or have coached at that level but I think it's ok that we have an opinion - or do we all have to agree with you before we can do that...??

#92 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

No. It's not me. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't think many of us on here are in the squad or have coached at that level but I think it's ok that we have an opinion - or do we all have to agree with you before we can do that...??

Chillax Bro, you are entilted to your opinion, it's just that I aren't the one claiming that I would have done this or that am I homes? You are the one with all the answers about what not to do. It's just a shame, for all of us, that your superior nous was not chosen to lead us to the promised land but tragically, only assigned the role of internet critic. Bloody shame that, because I would have loved to have seen us beat the Aussies. Ah well. If only.

#93 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

Chillax Bro, you are entilted to your opinion, it's just that I aren't the one claiming that I would have done this or that am I homes? You are the one with all the answers about what not to do. It's just a shame, for all of us, that your superior nous was not chosen to lead us to the promised land but tragically, only assigned the role of internet critic. Bloody shame that, because I would have loved to have seen us beat the Aussies. Ah well. If only.

I've just put that in the Ali G translator and I'm loving it now..... A win today and we can all have a beer and a big hug....

#94 Nimrods Son

Nimrods Son
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

Didn't, think fat-boy from eastenders was a RL fan!

#95 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,124 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

I'd walk out of a room containing Chris Irvine, Dave Hadfield and Danny Lockwood.

Wilson presumably absent covering the cricket?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#96 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Hey you all, leaves me dad alone. hes good for the country ok 

#97 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Irrespective of whether one is a supporter or otherwise of the coaching/selection abilities of Steve Macnamara, I would be very concerned if I was his employer, for the reason that he seems not to be in control or have the backing of the staff under his jurisdiction.

There are some basics for all walks of life whether in business or sport.

For my sins I was the MD of a company not large, but still had some 50 employees and my strength was in the capabilities of my management team, for the reason we have different individuals a manager has to be all things to all of his staff, a mother, a cajoler, a mentor, a coach etc. etc. by adopting these simple policies he/she will gain the respect of their charges.

Having acquired that respect people will listen to the manager, abide by their rules and regulations and give him/her their all. SM seems to have failed in this department else the players involved (members of the Hockgate team) would have stood by his instructions in the first place, and we would not now be ruing the absence of the players involved.  

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#98 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

He looked a bit rattled in general and he looked on the verge of tears at one stage, which is probably to be expected in the circumstances.

I hope it does not affect Englands game today, we need a good competitive game to start the Tournament off.

He didnt look rattled to me

Maybe ive lost my touch 

are so many interesting things to discuss about thé world cup with Camara without going on about hock ànd graham a story that neither matters or is interesting

These hacks nées à kick up thé ass

Well played Steve

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#99 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

Irrespective of whether one is a supporter or otherwise of the coaching/selection abilities of Steve Macnamara, I would be very concerned if I was his employer, for the reason that he seems not to be in control or have the backing of the staff under his jurisdiction.

There are some basics for all walks of life whether in business or sport.

For my sins I was the MD of a company not large, but still had some 50 employees and my strength was in the capabilities of my management team, for the reason we have different individuals a manager has to be all things to all of his staff, a mother, a cajoler, a mentor, a coach etc. etc. by adopting these simple policies he/she will gain the respect of their charges.

Having acquired that respect people will listen to the manager, abide by their rules and regulations and give him/her their all. SM seems to have failed in this department else the players involved (members of the Hockgate team) would have stood by his instructions in the first place, and we would not now be ruing the absence of the players involved.

Brilliantly put. I've been in similar situations myself. As a result I'm finding the current situation and dynamics really interesting.

A great performance today will put all that into the shade though....

#100 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

The general consensus seems to be judging a coach on his media skills. A rather strange set of criteria.

For those questioning his management of the situation; I don't think you could be more wrong. He stated that he would not discuss individuals and would be happy to discuss the forthcoming game. The journalists seemed more interested in taking a line of questioning about a topic, he had clearly stated was not available for discussion, So what was the point in carrying on? I would have done exactly the same.

In fact, he should be applauded for showing strong leadership.

Edited by getdownmonkeyman, 26 October 2013 - 08:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users