• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#121 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

hey I like tanya

I was referring to her question about Hardaker a couple of minutes before kick off which seemed pointless at such a juncture

McNamara seems to have decided that he isn't mates with the media. He isn't the first in sport-there are some very well known examples andf it's his call. I just think if that's the waqy it is he needs to cool out.

Yeah Hanley also behaved that way and look how we have struggled for column inches since. If you do not like the to be asked awkward and tough questions do not take the job.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#122 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

And we wonder why we can't even buy column inches of publicity for our game!

He cannot be taken seriously.

The national team coach is a buffoon.

And if he isn't, he does an amazing impression of one.

I've been out of the country for a bit

but from what I've heard there's been more publicity for the tournament and the sport in particular than ever: almost overwhelmingly positive

Sport team managers let the media get under their skin all the time there's a long list and it looks like McNamara has joined it. The time to call McNamara a buffoon will be if the team gets humiliated. As yet there doesn't seem to be any sign of that.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#123 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

I think he is doing a reasonable job :ph34r: Maybe we will see the benefit of the SA trip in the next few weeks.? Maybe it will come out that he handled the problems in camp really well? It all has to move towards the business end and then we can make our judgements.

Edited by Scubby, 02 November 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#124 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

I know I look back fondly at the endless columns and reports in the media when we had the previous England coaches in charge.

#125 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Yeah Hanley also behaved that way and look how we have struggled for column inches since. If you do not like the to be asked awkward and tough questions do not take the job.

I take your point but what if the team have a successful time on the field? There's a good chance of that.

It's an awkward situation, but shouldn't define his stewardship IMHO

Keeping it local

#126 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

christopher you love him because he picks your love child ;)

ps i see your asking for another of your favourites to be drafted into the starting team..Burrow.  I suppose he will ''terrify the opposition'', they 'won't know what to do''  blah blah blah...Stevo has been peddling that ###### for years

Edited by jacksy, 02 November 2013 - 05:34 PM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#127 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

I take your point but what if the team have a successful time on the field? There's a good chance of that.

It's an awkward situation, but shouldn't define his stewardship IMHO

He should of answered the questions in the first place and got them out of the way. Instead it gets dragged on and on and he(national coach) comes across sulky. Like it or not people love scandal and it helps to sell papers. If we want a bigger profile for our players good and bad press go together.

Edited by jacksy, 02 November 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#128 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

christopher you love him because he picks your love child ;)

ps i see your asking for another of your favourites to be drafted into the starting team..Burrow. I suppose he will ''terrify the opposition'', they 'won't know what to do'' blah blah blah...Stevo has been peddling that ###### for years

Not biting mate, if you want to discuss it like an adult, I'm happy to discuss team selections with you.

#129 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

He should of answered the questions in the first place and got them out of the way. Instead it gets dragged on and on and he(national coach) comes across sulky. Like it or not people love scandal and it helps to sell papers. If we want a bigger profile for our players good and bad press go together.

this is nonsense. It is normal for sports people to have issues with the media. Ferguson wouldnt speak to the BBC for years yet Utd had no issues on their channel.

The post match interviews are nothing and woild never make any kind of news or paper.

They are usually full of stock answers and I have no issues with SM not answering questions he is not happy with.

#130 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

He should of answered the questions in the first place and get them out of the way. Instead it gets dragged on and on and he(national coach) comes across sulky. Like it or not people love scandal and it helps to sell papers. If we want a bigger profile for our players good and bad press go together.

yes he should have for reasons you give

but he didn't

my points are;

the questions could have been better, and didn't need asking at both of these junctures.

his stance doesn't make him a bad coach and he is in good company there, lots of successful sports managers/coaches have at the very least fractious relations with the media

his team is playing reasonably well and that's what's really important

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 02 November 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Keeping it local

#131 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

this is nonsense. It is normal for sports people to have issues with the media. Ferguson wouldnt speak to the BBC for years yet Utd had no issues on their channel.

The post match interviews are nothing and woild never make any kind of news or paper.

They are usually full of stock answers and I have no issues with SM not answering questions he is not happy with.

Let's not bother with them then.

And let's not complain that the press and wider media ignore us..

The Man U comparison is ridiculous!

#132 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

We are a sport that suffers from a distinct lack of column inches..imo any news is good if it gets people taking note of our sport and players.

#133 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

You beat me to it..comparing Fergie and football to SM and league is silly.

#134 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

yes lets bother with them

the media haven't been ignoring us

there are plenty of other examples besides maan U, which in principle is perfectly relevant anyway

at least Mcnamara isn't bland

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 02 November 2013 - 05:48 PM.

Keeping it local

#135 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Not biting mate, if you want to discuss it like an adult, I'm happy to discuss team selections with you.

Tell me what will Burrow bring to the team?

#136 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

yes lets bother with them

the media haven't been ignoring us

there are plenty of other examples besides maan U, which in principle is perfectly relevant

at least Mcnamara isn't bland

Macnamara isnt bland???? are you serious. If SM had had spilled the beans about what went on and who exactly who was involved. Why he took the steps he did, then that may of closed the matter. It would most likely have also got all those players names and pictures into many newspapers. Then a great deal many more people would now know that there is a WC tournemment going on.

Edited by jacksy, 02 November 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#137 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Tell me what will Burrow bring to the team?

An injection of pace and unpredictability which I think will work against a tired Fijian pack

#138 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,263 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Macnamara isnt bland???? are you serious.

well clearly not

otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion

Keeping it local

#139 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

An injection of pace and unpredictability which I think will work against a tired Fijian pack

Exactly what I thought you would say. Which coincidentally is exactly what Eddie and Stevo say everytime there is a tournement.

Edited by jacksy, 02 November 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#140 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

well clearly not

otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion

I have met the guy he is bland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users