TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

McNamara might have to leave the country

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#141 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,652 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

I have met the guy he is bland

I have as well in a professional capacity

he's quetly spoken which is not the same as bland.

if he was bland he wouldn't have done and said what he did when people got on his t its

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#142 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have as well in a professional capacity

he's quetly spoken which is not the same as bland.

if he was bland he wouldn't have done and said what he did when people got on his t its

Mine was not in a professional capacity. I do not dislike the guy, i just find him and his methods predictable and formulaic and exactly what the Aussies like.

Edited by jacksy, 02 November 2013 - 06:14 PM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#143 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,652 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Mine was not in a professional capacity.

and?

When speaking to McNamara I always found his answers and observations to the point, well put, sincere  insightful and direct: never bland.

I repeat so far his team have played at the very least acceptably. His current slightly scratchy relationship with the media isn't that big an issue, the way his team is playing is. If his team plays garbage and gets humiliated then I'll get concerned.

I repeat yet again plenty of perfectly acceptable, famous and respected even sports managers have minor to major fall outs with the media sometimes last for years, careers even. It doesn't define their career

Keeping it local

#144 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

Let's not bother with them then.

And let's not complain that the press and wider media ignore us..

The Man U comparison is ridiculous!

not really - it dismisses the theory that McNamara should make out with the interviewer whenever he is asked a question.

McNamara did nothing wtong, people just didlike him. Thats what we're really talking about here.

#145 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

I find some of this ridiculous. Steve McNamara hasn't done anything wrong and yet he is being castigated far more than Gareth Hock (and one other if the rumours are to be believed). the players subject of the disciplinary procedures were well aware of what was expected and yet still chose to act as they did. McNamara disciplines them (rightly) and then gets hammered because the press hound him about it.

#146 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

I find some of this ridiculous. Steve McNamara hasn't done anything wrong and yet he is being castigated far more than Gareth Hock (and one other if the rumours are to be believed). the players subject of the disciplinary procedures were well aware of what was expected and yet still chose to act as they did. McNamara disciplines them (rightly) and then gets hammered because the press hound him about it.

I'm not sure that's how it's seen by everyone.

For me, he has got himself in a corner because:

1. His organisation of the camp has been poor enough to allow some of his squad to go on the lash. In a 4 week controlled environment that is unacceptably poor management. The players are at fault but so is he.
2. He has been too slow to deal with the players when they have strayed. When the media are watching virtually 24/7, like they do in a tournament, action needs to be fair but instant.
3. Premiership football managers can afford to be offhand with the media. They love it and will keep coming back for more. RL is not in that place and the coach has to dance with the media. His reaction to Tanya Arnold was that of defensive, naughty teenager. Simply not good enough.

If we win the cup or play a part in a great final most of it will be forgotten. If we don't get to that level, however, it will get more difficult for him than it is now. I hope he is bright enough to see that coming & think about how he will deal with the media when it happens

#147 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,652 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

1. His organisation of the camp has been poor enough to allow some of his squad to go on the lash. In a 4 week controlled environment that is unacceptably poor management. The players are at fault but so is he.
2. He has been too slow to deal with the players when they have strayed. When the media are watching virtually 24/7, like they do in a tournament, action needs to be fair but instant.
3. Premiership football managers can afford to be offhand with the media. They love it and will keep coming back for more. RL is not in that place and the coach has to dance with the media. His reaction to Tanya Arnold was that of defensive, naughty teenager. Simply not good enough.

If we win the cup or play a part in a great final most of it will be forgotten. If we don't get to that level, however, it will get more difficult for him than it is now. I hope he is bright enough to see that coming & think about how he will deal with the media when it happens

good stuff

but

we don't know if it was 'the lash' and we know nothing of the organisation of the camp

slow? how do you know?

they can afford to be off hand with the media, and McNamara might well have got it wrong, but for crying out loud all he did was get a bit narked at ssome irrelevant, stupid questions.

Keeping it local

#148 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

good stuff
but
we don't know if it was 'the lash' and we know nothing of the organisation of the camp
slow? how do you know?
they can afford to be off hand with the media, and McNamara might well have got it wrong, but for crying out loud all he did was get a bit narked at ssome irrelevant, stupid questions.

The media fund the sport wether we like it or not. TV revenue & sponsorship is where it's at.

Social media makes things very tough for managers & coaches but they've got to deal with it & be in control.

"I've got to go cos the bus is going" and "you're making things up" smack of being out of control when they are said in the manner he said them.

It will all come out in the wash.

Winning games will result in everyone who is doubting him going very quiet - that's the rule with the media. Fergie treated the BBC like dirt for a while with his silent treatment but throughout that time the noise from the trophy cabinet was deafening.......

#149 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,652 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

The media fund the sport wether we like it or not. TV revenue & sponsorship is where it's at.

Social media makes things very tough for managers & coaches but they've got to deal with it & be in control.

"I've got to go cos the bus is going" and "you're making things up" smack of being out of control when they are said in the manner he said them.

It will all come out in the wash.

Winning games will result in everyone who is doubting him going very quiet - that's the rule with the media. Fergie treated the BBC like dirt for a while with his silent treatment but throughout that time the noise from the trophy cabinet was deafening.......

Quite

Keeping it local

#150 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yeah Hanley also behaved that way and look how we have struggled for column inches since. If you do not like the to be asked awkward and tough questions do not take the job.

look how we have struggled for column inches since

true, especially considering the saturation coverage we had up to then.   :tongue:

#151 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

he has got himself in a corner

He's not in a corner , though. It clear that some would like to see him in a corner, some would actually like him to fail which is a despicable attitude to have.   Just because he is generally quietly spoken, does not seem to be aggressive and expect his players to behave in an adult and professional manner when representing their country should not make him a target for irrational  and unjustified criticism.  

Maye some players should have their mothers with them in camp..you know, to change their nappies and feed them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users