- - - - -

England Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

England appear a team in disarray ahead of Saturday's (Sunday morning AEDT) encounter in Cardiff, with coach Steve McNamara walking out of a press conference on Friday after refusing to speak about prop James Graham's controversial omission from the squad.  Full story here

What with losing to Italy, kicking Hock out of the squad and the dummy spitting by McNamara when asked about James Grahams' surprise omission from the team sheet for the game tomorrow - how could it get any worse for England?

Maybe we'll know after tomorrow's game against tournament favourites Australia.

Tim Sheens is making all the right noises in that he's saying the aussies won't take England lightly despite the media view that England are repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot and will therefore be limping into the match and tournament.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yes,the pressure sure seems to be mounting on McNamara. Going into this game without James Graham whilst playing those young Burgess boys seems absolute folly to me,but I guess we`ll just have to wait and see. Look to England`s game with Fiji to be the crunch match in this group and methinks the sheer size and speed of the South Seas Islanders could be too much.

#3 Stoney100

Stoney100
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:14 AM

How you can not pick James Graham is quite mad - to beat the Aussies we need the best team out there and that includes James Graham - but really he's not a great coach is he.

I want England to do so well but if they do McNamara will have to stay but they need a change.

I think after the World Cup it may be the case of the address Oliver Cromwell made to Parliament - You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

Edited by Stoney100, 26 October 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm with you on that Stoney - I always feel with him that he's a kind of caretaker coach that we have until the proper one comes along, and yet he's there year after year.

Let's hope he proves his critics wrong. Not a good idea making enemies of the media before a tournament starts.

I will concede though that his walkout was dramatic and did get more and wider media coverage than would otherwise have been the case. Not professional though when you've just announced  players in and out and won't discuss them.

#5 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

How good is it that the tournament has got underway with a competitive game between England and Australia.

Hopefully a lott of the contentious stuff can be put behind us.

Just as I was thinking this team making room for James Graham will be in with a shout, Sam got himself on report and could miss a game or maybe two.

So one good one in but one out.

#6 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Sam needs to control his aggression. I think he`s trying too hard to impress his brothers and fellow teammates,but that`s no good if he keeps committing silly indiscretions and getting bans. How many did he get this season playing for Souths,two or three,I think?

#7 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:22 AM

Silly niggle & attempts to draw 'penalties' from both teams in the Aus v Eng game :bb:

Burgess biff - Sam T mouthing off at ref - Discipline problems are unlikely to be address correctly by Mc Banana

I can see teams using the niggle to spoil England's games :download:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

That word discipline and lack of it does keep cropping up.

Get a 'no nonsense - let's get sorted' coach asap.

#9 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

Well,there you go,a one match ban for a game he probably wouldn`t have played in anyway,so no punishment really. C`mon Sam,think about it,one more indiscretion and it could potentially put him out for the finals.

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

The media in Oz seems to have turned on him savagely.

While ever he was just a Rabbitoh he was OK and largely forgiven any indiscretion. Now he's an England player who copped an aussie he's the devil incarnate. Maybe they'll not want him back in Oz after the World Cup! :devil:

They bulled him up as Slammin Sam - see the Fox Sports promo made just before all four brothers played for Souths in that game this season. His tough, winning ways approach is played up for all it's worth.

Slammin' Sam Brugess - the full programme

Edited by G Las D, 29 October 2013 - 12:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users