Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Should there be a minimum number of non-heritage players?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

Well?

I think it would help development of the sport if international teams had to have a minimum number of local born, or long term resident players, in each international team. It would give local players something to aim for...they would know they will not suddenly be usurped by poms, kiwis and aussies when the big matches or tournaments occur.

But what would the ideal number be?

#2 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

From what I recall, in 2008 squads had to have 4 domestic based players and 2 in the gameday lineup.

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#3 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Well?

I think it would help development of the sport if international teams had to have a minimum number of local born, or long term resident players, in each international team. It would give local players something to aim for...they would know they will not suddenly be usurped by poms, kiwis and aussies when the big matches or tournaments occur.

But what would the ideal number be?

After seeing "Italy" beat Wales 32-16 I would say that there clearly have to be some limits on the use of heritage players.  If the Italian media got interested in the "Italian" team's progress, do they have any players who speak Italian well enough to an interview in that language??

The allowed number of heritage players definitely needs to be capped, but I don't know what a fair limit would be.  Something else they should do is say that players who are named in any country's World Cup roster are then locked into that country for life, that way the only heritage players used will be ones willing to commit to that country.

Edited by Big Picture, 26 October 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#4 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

No, if players are eligible then they are eligible, trying to force nations to select certain players is ridiculous and defeats the object as well as being patronizing and potentially dangerous. There are two domestic players in Italy's squad BTW, the only nation that hasn't selected any home-grown players is Cook Islands

#5 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

No, if players are eligible then they are eligible, trying to force nations to select certain players is ridiculous and defeats the object as well as being patronizing and potentially dangerous. There are two domestic players in Italy's squad BTW, the only nation that hasn't selected any home-grown players is Cook Islands

I'm sure Tonga haven't. I may be wrong however?

#6 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

I'm sure Tonga haven't. I may be wrong however?

Tonga have Sydney Havea who currently plays in Tonga, and a number of other players who learned the game there and so would count as domestics such as Hurrell, Ta'ai etc.

Edited by Evil Homer, 27 October 2013 - 03:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users