An Aussies perspective

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ben25

ben25
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

First of all good luck in todays game, its 1230am our time in sydney, I am one of many Australians coming over for the world cup and cannot wait. Will be there for the semis at Wembley and final in old trafford.

Now for the game and tournament, this seems to be looking like the greatest world cup so far and good on you Brits for making it such a tremendous occassion. Rugby League in Australia is like football in England, it is huge! Every step the players take is marked by the media and fans. We love Rugby League and the one thing that may suprise you is that we want England to do well... Yes I said it, not beat us but do well. RL needs a strong England.

Aust RL fans want RL in England to do well as it makes the game grow along with NZ. If we can get these 3 countries to be on par then get the british,european and pacific island teams to get up to standard then the game has a huge international presence. As you all know this game of RL that we all love deserves to be so much bigger and hopefully this tournament makes this happen.

So go the Kangaroos but lets all hope together this RLWC is a huge success and that it makes RL grow into the game it deserves to be.

P.s - I will be going to semis at Wembley and final at old trafford so any tips on what pubs to go to before games would be much appreciated and who knows we might have a pint to talk about the game

#2 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Great post, thanks for the good luck message were gonna need it. Completely agree with all you say about having a competitive England team and what it would so for the international game. Having the NRL based players is really going to help achieve this. Unfortunately our domestic game looks like it's heading into rough times and if we can't sort that I fear we'll be held back from improvement and expansion for years.
Anyway I don't want to get bogged down in the politics of our domestic game and ruin the positivity of your great post.
It's fantastic that your coming over for those big games, they are shaping up to be massively successfully occasions. I'm also going to both of them and I'll get back to you about pubs, love to have some good rivalry banter before a match!
Good luck for the tournament and enjoy the opening ceremony. Let the games commence!!

#3 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Great post. Lets hope we see some great, passionate rugby.

Safe journey over

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hope you enjoy your trip. Hope you hate your rugby :biggrin:

#5 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

First of all good luck in todays game, its 1230am our time in sydney, I am one of many Australians coming over for the world cup and cannot wait. Will be there for the semis at Wembley and final in old trafford.

Now for the game and tournament, this seems to be looking like the greatest world cup so far and good on you Brits for making it such a tremendous occassion. Rugby League in Australia is like football in England, it is huge! Every step the players take is marked by the media and fans. We love Rugby League and the one thing that may suprise you is that we want England to do well... Yes I said it, not beat us but do well. RL needs a strong England.

Aust RL fans want RL in England to do well as it makes the game grow along with NZ. If we can get these 3 countries to be on par then get the british,european and pacific island teams to get up to standard then the game has a huge international presence. As you all know this game of RL that we all love deserves to be so much bigger and hopefully this tournament makes this happen.

So go the Kangaroos but lets all hope together this RLWC is a huge success and that it makes RL grow into the game it deserves to be.

P.s - I will be going to semis at Wembley and final at old trafford so any tips on what pubs to go to before games would be much appreciated and who knows we might have a pint to talk about the game

Wow - an Aussie with interest in international RL - ;-)

Seriously though, we need Mr Aussie RL fan in the street to back these tournaments. It's an important piece of the puzzle we need to have in place to spread the game worldwide.

Enjoy the game today. WISH I WAS IN CARDIFF.

#6 ben25

ben25
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

You can all be disappointed however dont be too hard on the England team, I thought they really had a go and could of won the match had it not been for some bad handling and bad calls which led to Aust soft tries. Surely with Grahem and O'Loughlin returning to the side they will improve. Watching England is identical to the pain we go through every year as NSW fans.. So close,even the better team however do silly mistakes and gift the other side the game.

The fans over here loved it and everyone is calling for a return to the ashes series. Anyway was a good game and good luck for the rest of the tournament, i head over next week,cant wait and I hope it's a Aust vs England final

#7 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

Hope you have a good trip over Ben and have a great time

Please make your views known to the powers that be in Australia
For the first time in its history one country now has the money to truly make a difference to the international game. Don't waste the opportunity.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users