RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Darkest" days of RL

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 PonteBlue

PonteBlue
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Let the 6 break away, I am sure it will be great watching them play each other 10 times a year.

Agree. Let them have thier own mini league........what a fantastic spectacle that would make for the selfish short sighted 6.

What are they scared of?

Just finished reading Terry Clawson's book (all the wrong moves) Sometimes wish we could wind the clock back to those days. What a compatition the league was then full of characters watched by big crowds. The competition was hard but FAIR!!!

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Just finished reading Terry Clawson's book (all the wrong moves) Sometimes wish we could wind the clock back to those days. What a compatition the league was then full of characters watched by big crowds. The competition was hard but FAIR!!!

Big crowds ?  Terry Clawson played pretty much in the game's darkest moments.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Big crowds ?  Terry Clawson played pretty much in the game's darkest moments.

terry clawsons career took in the late 50s and 60s, far from the games darkest moments

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

terry clawsons career took in the late 50s and 60s, far from the games darkest moments

50s ?  He was only 19 at the end of them.

Late 60s and most of the 70s were the game's darkest moments for me.

Terry was pretty much there for all of that.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Incidentally, before Andrew Vause or Jimmy B get on the case, I'm not actually blaming Terry Clawson for his playing career being Rugby League's darkest days.  Not his fault.

Just saying, like.

#6 alderwood

alderwood
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

AH yes the dark days, when we could only get 75,000 to 95,000 fans to a CC final at Wembley.

#7 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

i said late 50s, i saw himplay in the 1959 yorkshire cup final v hull at headingley. i think 59 would qualify as late 50s, in fact you can't get much later. don't apologise, it's not necessary.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#8 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

50s ? He was only 19 at the end of them.

50s ? He was only 19 at the end of them.

Would that be the dark days when we beat Australia in Australia to win the World Cup? The days of Boston, Van Vollenhoven, Karalius, Clews, Bevan, Nash, Hardisty, Murphy, Shoebottom, Whiteley, Sullivan C, Millward, Thompson, Bishop, el al. A time when nations like Wales and France could compete with the best to form a meaningful, if elongated and drawn out World Cup system.

A time when outposts such as Barrow and Workington had pride and could stand shoulder to shoulder with the best and attracted crowds of 15000 regularly.

A time when I fell in love with the game of heroes AND STUCK WITH THE TEAM OF MY FATHER.
The times when little Featherstone Rovers were part of 40 and 50000 crowds in RL semi finals, the days before dare I say it before a Sheffield existed. God knows who you followed then and have subsequently fallen out of love with.

The days when skill was rewarded with great respect, when Players played with loyalty whilst holding down a tremendously difficult manual job.

Days when you knew 80% of the opposition as they ran on to the field.

Yeah they were pretty dark days! But I enjoyed them.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 24 October 2013 - 09:31 PM.

• Maureen T-k and TheTerminator like this

#9 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Incidentally, before Andrew Vause or Jimmy B get on the case, I'm not actually blaming Terry Clawson for his playing career being Rugby League's darkest days.  Not his fault.

Just saying, like.

Terry Clawson played in the famous game V St Helens that attracted a population bustin crowd of 17,531 in 1958, a population bustin crowd like that has and never will happen again at any rugby league ground, dark day indeed

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Really ?  I'm tipping it'll be beaten tomorrow.

• TheTerminator likes this

#11 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

I was reading a piece of work by an american physchologist Dr.Coach Love and I co e across this passage

"Many children want to have the last word, of course, but here are eight types of adults who may always seem to need the last word. These are people who are:

know-it-alls
dense
stubborn
intoxicated
excited
always needing to be right
consensus-driven
conversation hogs"

I wondered to myself who this reminded me of. Perhaps myself but I then again I don't usually need to have the last word.
  • Maureen T-k likes this

#12 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

Griff has claimed that the playing days of Terry Clawson were rugby leagues darkest days - personally when I hear such comments I cannot but help think that these people could not have been there to witness such times - what does anyone else think ?

Edited by Jimmy B, 13 November 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#13 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

i'm with you Jimmy. i prefer to let Andrew Vause deal with it, he does it so much better than me.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#14 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I've seen darker days than that in the late 30's and forties. RL has always had its problems simply to start with we were working class rebels who wanted paying for broken time. Then we were simply not the game to play as the RU did everything to stop the game developing. They tried to kill it in France during the war and if you played RL even amateur you could be banned fronm playing RU. Finance has always been a problem. So it goes on. Now we have Middle East millionaires running some clubs with their money. In the end the game will survive in some capacity as it is a good sport. The thing that is lacking is someone to get all parties to pull together. The 50's and 60's from a Fev point of view had to be good. We went to Wembley won one lost one and were amongst the top teams and could compete with anyone. You couldn't say that of earlier days or later days. It is like life all peaks and hollows. We will come again.

#15 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

just read a book celebrating 100 years of rugby league in canterbury, New Zealand. what a struggle they had against both the English and  New zealand rugby unions. i know things have changed but i just wish we had people running the game, with the same strength of character as those early pioneers.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#16 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

The hope enthusiasm for the sport I had in September 1994 which turned to utter dispair by April 1995 were the darkest days for me.

#17 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

Late 50's/ early 60's?

I wasn't there when we got that record home crowd against Saints in '59, but I was at the Post Office Road end a couple of years later when we got 15,000 at home to Wakey. Maybe they say that because the Loiners weren't particularly dominant at that time, although they did pull off a shock Championship final win in '61? Northern were also in the doldrums and were propping up the whole league table before they went out of business.

But this was a time when Wakey were top dogs in Yorkshire, and Fev, Hull and Huddersfield weren't far behind! Cas, Hull KR and Halifax came to the fore a couple of years later. If you ask me, I think it was a golden era, when no club was dominant and everyone had their peaks and troughs, just as it should be!

Attendances started to fall in the mid sixties, but this was a massive decade for change, and people started to do other things with their free time and new found mobility. Then there was a new TV programme called Match of the Day, and over in Yorkshire the rise of Don Revie's Leeds United, which I feel impacted on Bell Vue just as much as, if not more than, Headingley. 

#18 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

You are right about other things to do. I lived in Flamboro for 7 years in the seventies. Lots of people from Fev area had caravans they used at the weekends on the East Coast. I used to go to all home games but there were lots of familiar faces on the caravan sites. They said they were interested in the Rovers still but when you had paid a large amount of ground rent you had to get value for money hence away they go to the coast. Summer rugby brought benefits but also had an adverse effect on attendences for the reasons stated.

#19 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Don't forget Sunday shopping! I can't remember when it first came in, but I can remember driving down to Rovers matches and commenting on the number of cars in the car park at Victoria Nureseries, there seemed to be more than you'd see parked around the ground.

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

One poster has claimed that the late 50's / early 60's were rugby leagues darkest days - personally when I hear such comments I cannot but help think that these people could not have been there to witness such times - what does anyone else think ?

I don't recall anyone saying that the late 50s/early 60s were rugby league's darkest days in the now deleted "debate".

I do remember somebody saying they weren't, though.

• l'angelo mysterioso likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users