Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Opening Ceremony itself - 'Blanked' by the BBC

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 FatherTed

FatherTed
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Some of us were not able to attend today..but would have been nice to see it on tv!..

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,077 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

the opening ceremony was awful. no one clapped. no one cheered, no one was proud, no one liked it. indeed lots of people walked out.

in other words, it was just what the miserable northern flat cappears wanted.

i am lying, IT WAS BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,139 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well there were 15 for a start, grumpy.

Nope, 14 floating golf balls and a blow up globe if you want to be pedantic, ###### all the same

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

agree with this, TBH I don't see the point of dancers etc. Get some kids to play two games across the pitch. Get someone to make a short speech declaring it open - national anthems - end of.

You are danny Boyle and I claim my five pounds
For crying out loud man this is supposed to be the biggest competition in the sport:the ultimate coming together of the rugby league family it's supposed to be a celebration
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#25 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Well all of us thought it was fantastic. Great atmosphere, loads of dancers, pyrotechnics, music, dancers suspended from a floating globe, flashbacks on the big screens, choirs.
I don't really know what people want.
Obviously I'm disappointed that BBC didn't show it, but to just criticise the opening for the sake of it is a bit rich.

Edited by Gerri Monside, 26 October 2013 - 09:13 PM.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#26 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Really enjoyed the Ceremony, full of surprises, did the RLWC proud, pity about the BBC coverage but got a good glimpse on the 10 o'clock news. The rock boy band, the girls string band, the Strictly dancers, Getting Jones, Gareth Thomas, the Light show, the pyrotechnics, the dancers and acrobat, the Trophy itself, the Welsh First Minister, and the 1000? kids. Brilliant. And the Millennium Stadium so much better than Wembley. Now for Craven Park and the nationwide spread of games. Bring it on...Premier Sports!

#27 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'd have liked to have gone, but it's a five hour drive from Leeds. I also looked at staying Friday at my daughters at Salisbury and getting the train to Cardiff, the last time I travelled to my daughter's be train, in July, the train I caught to Bristol from Salisbury terminated at Cardiff, but for some reason not on Saturday October 26th.

No, the Severn rail tunnel is closed. There is a bus link around it included in the ticket

Some people will find any excuse not to go. That is why the media treat Rugby as a joke and can you really blame them.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

No, the Severn rail tunnel is closed. There is a bus link around it included in the ticket

Some people will find any excuse not to go. That is why the media treat Rugby as a joke and can you really blame them.

That's unfair
Nobody has to justify themselves and people have priorities

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 26 October 2013 - 10:06 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#29 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'd have liked to have gone, but it's a five hour drive from Leeds.

Really? 3 and a half hours each way from ripon (26 miles north of leeds) to newport, then 15 mins on the train for us today

#30 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

The difference between those who came to the game and the miserable gits who didn't

The problem with Rugby League is it's supporters,(well some of them)always critical of anything tried and often lacking in their support of the game.Never would you find some of the comments on here on a Union Board.

Rugby League is the best of all team  games but poorly supported.Last night you were treated to a great game and opening ceremony.What else do you guys need  to get you out of your apathy?

#31 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

The problem with Rugby League is it's supporters,(well some of them)always critical of anything tried and often lacking in their support of the game.Never would you find some of the comments on here on a Union Board.

Rugby League is the best of all team  games but poorly supported.Last night you were treated to a great game and opening ceremony.What else do you guys need  to get you out of your apathy?

Agreed on the first point, but "poorly supported" should read "poorly supported at international level". :)

#32 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

You pay for what you get.

The ceremony was what it represented RUGBY LEAGUE

All classes of people not some stage managed experience.

The stadium help to make the occasion.

Stop moaning and attend.

#33 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

Should have had that bloke from Wheeltappers & Shunters club with the massive flat cap ringing that bell and announcing 'Rugby league cup is starting now. ..bingo is in the best room'

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#34 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

I thought the opening ceremony was great!  One of the best bits was Gareth Thomas' try.  That got a fantastic reception as it was done really, really well.  The harpest was terrific, the rock band fun, the electronic string group fantastic, the 1000 school children dancing did a great job, the balloons and pyrotechnics were very effective and the closed roof at a fabulous stadium really made the place rock. 

And people did in fact join in.  Those who were there were incredibly supportive.

Even though results didn't go the way of England (and they should have) and Wales (so close until the final 10 minutes), the whole day was incredible and I am now absolutely knackered having only got home at midnight.  It was a four hour journey for those of us in St Helens so anyone complaining of an extra hour really doesn't have a leg to stand on!

Edited by Saintslass, 26 October 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#35 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

I must admit I don't get dancing and at the start with what I took to be a load of dancers doing a sort of choreographed rugby league I was left cold.
From then on it got better and better.
The stewards were friendly and kept it light even saying "hope you enjoyed yourselves (without irony) as we left.
First class experience. Well done RFL.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#36 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

Anyone see the fella who nicked the microphone off Stevo to then lead a rendition of my my my Delilah? Brilliant. Stevo had a bit of a strop, stormed off in front of us, although to be fair, stopped and had his picture taken with the royal navy rl lads!

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Anyone see the fella who nicked the microphone off Stevo to then lead a rendition of my my my Delilah? Brilliant. Stevo had a bit of a strop, stormed off in front of us, although to be fair, stopped and had his picture taken with the royal navy rl lads!

I thought that was funny and the crowd really joined in with the singalong.

#38 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

hmm I suspect Stevo would make a great pantomime villain. Those boys could sing though
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#39 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

That's unfair
Nobody has to justify themselves and people have priorities

No it's not. If people don't want to go that's fine with me. Just keep quiet

I'm just not happy with people airing non valid reasons not to go.. Don't blame the trains and pretend it's not your fault..

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#40 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

I watched the whole BBC broadcast and it sounds like I would have liked to have watched that. But I couldn't.

A Fev Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users