RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Opening Ceremony itself - 'Blanked' by the BBC

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

You are danny Boyle and I claim my five pounds
For crying out loud man this is supposed to be the biggest competition in the sport:the ultimate coming together of the rugby league family it's supposed to be a celebration

Rubbish, no change there then.
Rugby League family :)
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#42 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

No, the Severn rail tunnel is closed. There is a bus link around it included in the ticket

Some people will find any excuse not to go. That is why the media treat Rugby as a joke and can you really blame them.

Listen matey, I'm 67 years old and basically not up to driving 5 hours, watching rugby and 5 hours back. The journey I planned would have involved a four hour drive to Salisbury, an overnight, and then a train trip to Cardiff and back, but when I checked the website it involved three changes both ways and I decided against it.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#43 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Please let's not turn this thread into an argument over who should and shouldn't have gone to the event in person.

Stick to the thread subject which is about whether or not the BBC should have included the opening ceremony in their live broadcast or not.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#44 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

I was there, it was a very good opening ceremony and anyone that shuts Stevo up gets my cash.

Very professional, the budget was £0, the time dedicated to it was spot on, any more and I would have had another pint elsewhere.

The main event was Eng v Aus, and it didn't disappoint, largest opening day crowd for a RLWC, as high as a third of species new to the game not from the 'heartlands'.

JP said it was a gamble, and I think it actually worked

We are seen as a national sport, it was befitting of a national sport, and the Welsh got a decent crowd as I don't think too many people actually left before the second game

The Italians are going bonkers over this in their national press, I think Minichello is going to end up president.

It was a bit flat in the stadium, but then I always find the Millennium a poor stadium to watch anything in, no where near as good as Wembley. My opinion for what its worth.

All the pool matches are sold out or close to it.

The final and the semi's are selling really well and the final is on its way to a sell out.

Its already in terms of raising profile and the number of tickets sold the biggest RLWC ever.

What's not to like people?

• JohnM and Saintslass like this

#45 brooza

brooza
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

I thought the opening ceremony was great!  One of the best bits was Gareth Thomas' try.  That got a fantastic reception as it was done really, really well.  The harpest was terrific, the rock band fun, the electronic string group fantastic, the 1000 school children dancing did a great job, the balloons and pyrotechnics were very effective and the closed roof at a fabulous stadium really made the place rock. 

And people did in fact join in.  Those who were there were incredibly supportive.

Even though results didn't go the way of England (and they should have) and Wales (so close until the final 10 minutes), the whole day was incredible and I am now absolutely knackered having only got home at midnight.  It was a four hour journey for those of us in St Helens so anyone complaining of an extra hour really doesn't have a leg to stand on!

The Leeds Rhinos coaches got back to Headingley at 11:30, so it seems the journey to Leeds was even quicker!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#46 brooza

brooza
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

I watched the whole BBC broadcast and it sounds like I would have liked to have watched that. But I couldn't.

You could have got Premier Sports... :P

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#47 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

They pretty much ignored it too.

#48 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

I hope it is put on the official dvd of the tournament.

#49 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

The Leeds Rhinos coaches got back to Headingley at 11:30, so it seems the journey to Leeds was even quicker!

we only travelled back to Bromsgrove and took us till 10;40 before we arrived back... didn't help that we tried to go via m50 to reach the m5 and found it shut with a detour all the way back to monmouth  then some back roads to Gloucester to join the M5... as for opening ceremony it was superb .. as an aside what odds could you get on this in a stadium with approx 80,000 seats that our prop foward found himself sat in the seat behind one of the lads from Telford Raiders who in our games with them this season has ended up with them both in fisticuffs.

• Saintslass likes this
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#50 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

i went and i thought the show was brilliant, the atmosphere was great something you can't pick up on tv, i never usually bother getting in early for games but i am glad i did for this it will be a memory i will treasure.

oh and it took from 8 until 12.30 to get there and 7 until 11.15 to get back but i wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Edited by my missus, 27 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

• Saintslass likes this

I look around
I search the skies
I shade my eyes
So nearly blind
And I see signs of half remembered days
I hear bells that chime in strange familiar ways
I recognise...
The hope you kindle in your eyes

#51 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

i went and i thought the show was brilliant, the atmosphere was great something you can't pick up on tv, i never usually bother getting in early for games but i am glad i did for this it will be a memory i will treasure.

oh and it took from 8 until 12.30 to get there and 7 until 11.15 to get back but i wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Cardiff is always a long slog because the route is a wiggly one.  I was determined to get there even though I had to endure a coach full of bloody Wigan fans to achieve it!  I was really glad I endured the hardship and very thankful that unlike others my coach didn't suffer breakdown and we didn't encounter any major holdups on either journey even though the weather sometimes was atrocious.

Loved the day.  Well done to RLWC2013 staff for what was a great start.  Pity the home nations couldn't bring home the bacon but hopefully both will put right any wrongs and do the business from now on!

#52 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, I guess so. I went with the national broadcaster though. What was the show on Premier like?

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#53 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thought it was fantastic, as did my kids.

An extract of it is here http://m.youtube.com..._aae03OwQioIgBQ

#54 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

we only travelled back to Bromsgrove and took us till 10;40 before we arrived back... didn't help that we tried to go via m50 to reach the m5 and found it shut with a detour all the way back to monmouth then some back roads to Gloucester to join the M5... as for opening ceremony it was superb .. as an aside what odds could you get on this in a stadium with approx 80,000 seats that our prop foward found himself sat in the seat behind one of the lads from Telford Raiders who in our games with them this season has ended up with them both in fisticuffs.

I was sat on the same row as Derby City's crew!

#55 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

No it's not. If people don't want to go that's fine with me. Just keep quiet

I'm just not happy with people airing non valid reasons not to go.. Don't blame the trains and pretend it's not your fault..

I see what you mean but nobody is at 'fault' if for whatever reason they cant or won't go to games

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#56 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

I've just had a pointless twitter argument over the old 'thousands of freebies innit'. Must say I never got the impression that there were any knocking about. Usually I would expect to have heard from the usual sources if there were but did anyone else get a different impression?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#57 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thought it was fantastic, as did my kids.

An extract of it is here http://m.youtube.com..._aae03OwQioIgBQ

Ta. I'd've liked to have seen the whole thing.

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#58 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Listen matey, I'm 67 years old and basically not up to driving 5 hours, watching rugby and 5 hours back. The journey I planned would have involved a four hour drive to Salisbury, an overnight, and then a train trip to Cardiff and back, but when I checked the website it involved three changes both ways and I decided against it.

Geoff, you have no need to explain yourself. A lot of people wouldn't have been able to go for many different reasons.

You couldn't make it and it doesn't make you a criminal, whatever the reasons.

I went and I loved it, I'm sure if you could have made it you would have enjoyed it (even though it wasn't very traditional),

• JohnM likes this

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#59 Lionheart_merged

Lionheart_merged
  • Coach
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Our group of 4 thoroughly enjoyed the ceremony.  It may not have cost a fortune but it was colourful and there was enough spectacle to make it interesting.

#60 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

There was a group of 'Suvverners' behind us who were only there because the son of a couple in the group was a dancer at half-time, they were thoruoghly pleased with the entertainment (for obvious reason) but they were also impressed with the England Oz game and even knew about some of the subtleties,, especially our scrums.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users