Opening Ceremony itself - 'Blanked' by the BBC

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Anyone see the fella who nicked the microphone off Stevo to then lead a rendition of my my my Delilah? Brilliant. Stevo had a bit of a strop, stormed off in front of us, although to be fair, stopped and had his picture taken with the royal navy rl lads!

Yeah, that was right in front of us. It must have been staged but a great bit of theatre

Wonder what the rest of the stadium made of it though.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#62 3feathers

3feathers
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

We all agree the BBC let us down when it comes to fairly covering rugby league. I'm a relative RL newbie and lack the depth of knowledge, but is anyone interested in raising a petition to pass onto the BBC and the MP Grant Shapps. He is currently trying to raise a media storm by pointing out the BBC's failings, let's use him!

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,903 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Its an issue of timing. Having witnessed the BBC's coverage of RL for over half a century, I'd say their coverage at present, especially of the World Cup is the best ever by a huge margin: coverage more often, for longer, more positively and on more channels.  Now is the time for praise. Maybe save the criticism for next season?

#64 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

Its an issue of timing. Having witnessed the BBC's coverage of RL for over half a century, I'd say their coverage at present, especially of the World Cup is the best ever by a huge margin: coverage more often, for longer, more positively and on more channels.  Now is the time for praise. Maybe save the criticism for next season?

Spot on. You could say that the BBC are now showing their response to several years of criticism from RL fans. I think they are doing a terrific job. Don't like everything they do, but then not everyone thinks the same as me.

Daily podcast, live match every Saturday afternoon. Highlights programme. Website going into overdrive. Every match live on national radio.

Pretty happy with that lot.

#65 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Great day, my only complaints are the screens covering play would have been better if count of tackles was shown, and has I made my way in, a bloke was selling a wad of £1 tickets at the entrance. Anyway opening ceremony great as was the atmosphere, and loads of people present watching league for first time. I stood at the entrance queue with two ladies from Nottingham, who had travelled there because it was a World Cup, had never seen league before. I am sure they enjoyed it.

#66 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Watching it on Premier Sports, you seriously missing nothing, very very poor so far

Spend some money and support the game, it was very good live, you could feel the heat from the flames, great to be there.

#67 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

I was in the ground and I have to admit it was pretty good.  It's not my cup of tea, but it was on for an hour and it passed in what seemed like moments.  My son really enjoyed it.

Although I would prefer those giant Sumo wrestlers that they used to have at Old Trafford.

#68 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

The opening ceremony was a matter of personal taste I suppose. It didn't excite me personally but I can see why those who like that sort of thing would have enjoyed it. The only thing that let it down really was the PA bloke who had as much enthusiasm in his voice as somebody waiting for a vasectomy and the lack of any explanation of what was happening.

In fact, the PA announcements all afternoon were rubbish (no announcement of substitutions etc). The choice of music after tries were scored was pretty bizarre at times too - when Cudjoe scored we got "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton for some reason.

Edited by Derwent, 28 October 2013 - 01:37 PM.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#69 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

The BBC do just enough to fulfil their charter were Rugby League is concerned, end of.

#70 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,166 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

We all agree the BBC let us down when it comes to fairly covering rugby league. I'm a relative RL newbie and lack the depth of knowledge, but is anyone interested in raising a petition to pass onto the BBC and the MP Grant Shapps. He is currently trying to raise a media storm by pointing out the BBC's failings, let's use him!

I doubt Shapps could give a damn about Rugby League; he seems more concerned about threatening the BBC for not being pro-Conservative.

And as regards petitions, I've seen many  come and go through the Internet era, usually poorly-worded, poorly-supported and always ineffectual.

The BBC have improved their treatment of our game a lot over the last decade and, naturally, are more enthused by international competition than club competition.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#71 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Listen matey, I'm 67 years old and basically not up to driving 5 hours, watching rugby and 5 hours back. The journey I planned would have involved a four hour drive to Salisbury, an overnight, and then a train trip to Cardiff and back, but when I checked the website it involved three changes both ways and I decided against it.

That's funny, same age as me "matey".

I don't want to get into a slanging match so all I'll say is you missed a real treat, a fantastic celebration of a wonderful sport, not even dampened by having to wait in the rain for a bus at Bristol Parkway. These things don't come our way very ofen.

Edited by John Rhino, 28 October 2013 - 09:55 PM.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

In fact, the PA announcements all afternoon were rubbish (no announcement of substitutions etc). The choice of music after tries were scored was pretty bizarre at times too - when Cudjoe scored we got "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton for some reason.

Yes - this was a major negative with the presentation on the day. It was very difficult to keep up with interchanges, especially when we had twins in our 17!

The choice of music has been very poor in general - Tom Hark (the tune used at Warrington) is a well known try celebration tune yet hasn't been used at all.

Minor quibbles tbf!

#73 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Great day, my only complaints are the screens covering play would have been better if count of tackles was shown

They have done this now for games since the opener.

#74 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

Spend some money and support the game, it was very good live, you could feel the heat from the flames, great to be there.

Sick of you guys trundling out this old ######, some people simply cant get there, end of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users