Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

PremierSports coverage so far- Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#61 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

I can't get the Premier player to work on my iPhone, or on my Mac.  Solved my log in problems, seems they hadn't processed them.

It plays the five second intro (logo) then says Cannot load M3U8: 404 Not Found.

Not impressed.  Tried this in firefox and Safari.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#62 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Has anyone else's Premier Sports gone off on Sky? I subscribed last week and had no problems. In the middle of the NZ/Samoa replay it's just gone off saying "call this number to subscribe..." even though I already subscribe!
Posted Image

#63 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

I think Premier Sports are making a great effort with RL, but they are still very amateur compared to Sky/BBC. The picture quality is poor, they have no HD, lack camera angles, the cameras they do have can be a bit shaky and if u record a match u often miss either the start or finish.

But credit it to them for investing in league, the addition if Voss is genius, loved his commentary of the NZ game.

I don't like the Halligan and British guy commentating on Fiji game tho. Bit dull!

Edited by Odsal Outlaw, 28 October 2013 - 08:25 PM.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#64 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I think Premier Sports are making a great effort with RL, but they are still very amateur compared to Sky/BBC. The picture quality is poor, they have no HD, lack camera angles, the cameras they do have can be a bit shaky and if u record a match u often miss either the start or finish.

But credit it to them for investing in league, the addition if Voss is genius, loved his commentary of the NZ game.

I don't like the Halligan and British guy commentating on Fiji game tho. Bit dull!

Agree with all this still having problems with premier player including tonight very annoying needs sorting but credit to them treating rugby league fantastic with the coverage, vossy is great sky need to get him signed up

#65 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Their customer service is rubbish.

#66 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

Halligan is terrible. Marginally better than Robbie Hunter-Paul, but nowhere near as good as Nobby. Voss is the best commentator of all (in this comp at least) - I'm assuming they're doing one day on and one day off, meaning we'll get these two in Bristol rather than the others. Pity -I was hoping Voss would turn up!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#67 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Vossy is having a few days off

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#68 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

They are ALL better than French, Davies, Stevo and Wiggy. All of them.

#69 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

It took a while but i'm comfortable with these two commentators now

#70 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

The Kiwi guy commentating at Rochdale will be familiar to those who watch NRL on a weekly basis as he invariably commentates when the NZ Warriors are playing at home.

Although technically limited, Premier Sports have done really well with their commentary teams, with big names from down under added to give some weight.  But each one can't be everywhere every day so they're clearly spreading the load.  Ian Ramsdale, bless him, tries his best and is a lot better now than he was when Premier first came online with RL.

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

I actually think Premier have been very good. Much better than expected, after watching the Cook Islands v NZ warm up I was slightly worried, but its been fine.

They do appear to be slightly slower with replays and some of their angles are not brilliant, but we get to see all the games and all the important points.

I watch the games on a 47 inch screen and the quality is much better than I expected too.

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

I also never used to like Ramsdale, but he is getting more confident and doing a decent job. Tonight was fine.

#73 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

Halligan is terrible. Marginally better than Robbie Hunter-Paul, but nowhere near as good as Nobby. Voss is the best commentator of all (in this comp at least) - I'm assuming they're doing one day on and one day off, meaning we'll get these two in Bristol rather than the others. Pity -I was hoping Voss would turn up!

Voss is in France.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#74 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

Premier are Sky Light (not the window in the roof but the low fat version of Sky). Simple concise and clear and I don't have to endure Clarkies graphics. I have enough of 'death by powerpoint' at work!

#75 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

Just got around to watching NZ v Samoa - what a game.  Andrew Voss is the best RL commentator around.  Why Channel 9 ditched him and replaced him with the terrible Ray Hadley is unbelievable.

He brings a keen knowledge of the game to his call, rather than sounding liking he is reading from a script provided by the behind the scenes stats man (Eddie Hemmings).  His enthusiasm is genuine and not for effect.

Nobby brings expertise to his analysis (unlike Stevo who brings 1970's tactics to the table) and has struck up a good partnership with Vossy.

OK the coverage may not be as technically good as Sky's but Premier are making large leaps forward every year. Good on 'em!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#76 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Out of interest how was last nights game (Fiji v Ireland)?  Couldn't help but notice the cameras in the corners were actually on the terrace rather than pitch side, must be a directors nightmare if any tall fans wondered past at a crucial moment!

#77 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

I think it's pretty good. The picture looks good on my tv too. I don't think they are perfect but are clearly buying into the event and not just treating it as an afterthought. I would be annoyed about the Premier player but will find out if it works tonight as I am going to try it for the Tonga-Scotland game.
Voss is worth the money alone though. Can the BBC not use his feed instead?

#78 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

To be honest (and I hate to be negative but I've had a poor experience with them), I think no matter what they do it simply won't be enough to counter the fact that very few people know they exist and thus have no idea the RLWC is on tele.

I know way too many fans that have been disappointed that the rest of the games aren't on TV. When I've told them it is, they were either surprised to hear it and/or not willing to dish out £10 a month to watch just RL on one channel.

I think it's been a terrible move. But Premier are making the most of it with their fairly decent (yet limited) coverage.
Posted Image

#79 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

The images are much clearer on my tv than channel 9 rl broadcasts.

#80 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Are Virgin making it known that you can watch PS on there? ie adverts or voice trailers