PremierSports coverage so far- Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#81 chunks

chunks
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

I signed up for the WC and I'm really glad I did. It reminds me what the competition is all about - not just the top teams but the other "lesser" games which have all had something of interest. The picture and production quality isn't great but that's not a real problem to me, the quality of the game is more important. That said, give me Voss over the sky clowns any day, it's refreshing to hear positives not negatives all the time. BBC are only interested if it fits in with their schedules so fair play to Premier Sports for giving it a go. For a tenner a month it is great value for the games I am getting for the next few weeks, although not sure I could justify it afterwards.

#82 chunks

chunks
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Are Virgin making it known that you can watch PS on there? ie adverts or voice trailers

As well as Sky I have a basic virgin tv box they added for free as part of my broadband package and which sits in a spare room. Just switched it on and a banner came up saying that they've improved the sports package by adding Premier Sports for free until the end of the year (pity I'd already signed up for the sky box), don't miss out on the Rugby League World Cup, tune to channel 551.

#83 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

I watched the preliminaries on P/S then the game on BBC, simply cannot stand adverts, was the reasoning behind that decision. I then watched it again on P/S and consequently will not be watching any of the BBC coverage again, in that order, adverts or not!

Voss as stated by others too, is a mile ahead of any commentator on R/L that we have over here, I am not surprised at this is so, as watching the NRL religiously I have often said just how much more enjoyable, better informed and generally more professional those Australian commentries on P/S are when compared with the drivel of Stevo and Hemmings, Davies and French and others at Sky and the BBC are.

#84 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Premier are Sky Light (not the window in the roof but the low fat version of Sky). Simple concise and clear and I don't have to endure Clarkies graphics. I have enough of 'death by powerpoint' at work!

Spot on there... :drinks:

#85 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,560 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thatto Heath have now got Premier Sports and they're doing drinks promotions to boot.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#86 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Dave Woods is doing the commentary for Tonga v Scotland tonight.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#87 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

<p>If anyone is having problems with the quality of the streams on Premier Player may I suggest you try running it through the Opera browser&nbsp;<a href="http://www.opera.com/">http://www.opera.com/</a>, I have so far tried Google Chrome (did'nt work) and Firefox (not bad but not perfect) and in my opinion Opera blows both out of the water in terms of picture quality and stability.</p>

#88 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I've spoken with three people today who are now watching the world cup on TV thanks to the arrangement between PS and Virgin.  I wonder by how many that is replicated throughout the country?

#89 Eastmoorboy

Eastmoorboy
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

Dave Woods and Nobby on top form tonight!

#90 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Heard Eddie Hemmings on Talk Sport yesterday saying how good the WC has been but commented that it lacked the Big Bang and razzmatazz that only Sky Sports can bring! If we could have Sky coverage and all round presentation with Premiers enthusiasm and commentary we'd have a winner!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#91 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Heard Eddie Hemmings on Talk Sport yesterday saying how good the WC has been but commented that it lacked the Big Bang and razzmatazz that only Sky Sports can bring!

What a complete pecker.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#92 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

I've spoken with three people today who are now watching the world cup on TV thanks to the arrangement between PS and Virgin.  I wonder by how many that is replicated throughout the country?

Got the PS channel without asking as part of my Virgin media package- glad I have- every game's been a cracker Tonga Scotland kicked my expectations over the posts and out of the ground

#93 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

With the great crowds on show so far and what will no doubt continue, and also the great games that we have seen, the organisers or whoever have defo missed a trick by the majority of the games being on premier sports and lack of substancial bbc tv coverage, no potential new fans would have subscribed to that channel, would have been great if the bbc had midweek highlights or highlights each night of the game instead of a weekly highlights programme close to midnight on a sunday. I hope Fiji and Ireland put up a great fight against England and these are not one sided affairs, thats where the big audience is and this will be their view of our great game and the tournament.

Anyways not to dampen it all but I think its an oppurtunity missed with the great rugby and crowds we have had to showcase this to as wider audience as possible

#94 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Whilst I think it is important to get as wide a number of people watching as possible, *sometimes* things can be built up from a dedicated band of people all going wild over something. ..This can lead to loads of people determined to 'get in on the act'.

I wouldn't worry too much, I am not sure that the games would have been as enjoyable had we had the usual SKY commentators (and I don't really dislike them) actually.

If we build a legacy from this WC, there will be millions of people all claiming to have been there or watching the games on tv.

#95 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 615 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

I wonder if someone at Sky might be getting a ticking off for missing out on the RLWC

#96 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

As a Virgin media customer this is my 1st experience of Premier Sports and I like there approach, much better than BT Sports in my view. Also now that they've announced EIHL to go with the NRL there gonna get my subscription.

#97 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

I wonder if someone at Sky might be getting a ticking off for missing out on the RLWC

that may well and I suspect next time they will rather have a share with the bbc then nothing at all which is all part of the building the World Cup brand process
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#98 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

I hope so
I cancelled sky because they have no World Cup and now have Premier Sports

#99 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

With the great start to the World Cup and you would think its only going to get better as been said I reckon sky are ruing the fact of not get any rights to the world cup which in the future could bode well for future negotiations with the rfl and they might just start to give us what we deserve.

#100 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

What has happened to the USA-CI game?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users