Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Daily Mail watch - part 448

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,341 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

Success!

You can attack their party's social policies, you can point our the lunacy of present day neo-liberal economic orthodoxy, and you can even criticise St Margaret de Grantham, but nothing - nothing - provokes the fury of the hard-right more than having a go at their most treasured institution: The Daily Mail. :)

I think your poor diet is finally having an effect. Not only do you not know your  hard right from your soft left  it now seems that you are having trouble finding your elbow. :tongue:   

There may be a reason: Writing in the online journal BMC Public Health, the researchers concluded: "The Scottish population seems to be living dangerously.

"Considering five major risk factors to health - cigarette smoking, heavy alcohol consumption, poor diet, physical inactivity, and overweight - nearly the whole adult population (97.5%) have at least one behavioural risk factor."   :scare: 

#22 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

I think your poor diet is finally having an effect. Not only do you not know your  hard right from your soft left  it now seems that you are having trouble finding your elbow. :tongue:   

There may be a reason: Writing in the online journal BMC Public Health, the researchers concluded: "The Scottish population seems to be living dangerously.

"Considering five major risk factors to health - cigarette smoking, heavy alcohol consumption, poor diet, physical inactivity, and overweight - nearly the whole adult population (97.5%) have at least one behavioural risk factor."   :scare: 

Gotcha! (Oops, wrong one.)

See what I mean! It's only a newspaper, an extreme right-wing, alarmist and dishonest newspaper, but just a rag for all that.

There is no need to take criticism of it so much to heart. :P

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,341 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

Today's scores:

Daily Mail: 1,579,289    Scotland :0

Just about the same score as Scotland gets at its second most popular sport.

The sad thing is, it's also the predicted referendum result

#24 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

Why anyone with any pretentions to be a RL supporter would buy, or read the Daily Mail is beyond me. Whatever your politics the Daily Mail is a terrible paper.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#25 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Today's scores:

Daily Mail: 1,579,289    Scotland :0

Just about the same score as Scotland gets at its second most popular sport.

The sad thing is, it's also the predicted referendum result

Bless.

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Why anyone with any pretentions to be a RL supporter would buy, or read the Daily Mail is beyond me. Whatever your politics the Daily Mail is a terrible paper.

That might be true but I don't know what RL has to do with anything.

#27 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

Being an RL supporter isn't a guarantee of moderation, but I understand your point. It's just that the Daily Mail seems to be such a sacred cow in the eyes of many on the hard right. Criticising it is like a kind of blasphemy, and provokes such an extreme reaction - as we're seeing here.

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,575 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

Then you need to broaden your mind a bit
All sorts of people read the daily mail
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#29 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,575 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

Why's it odd?

Invoking its tax stance as evidence that its a poor paper
There is some good journalism in the guardian: for instance it's arts coverage, it also has a decent crossword some of its commentary isn't to my liking neither is its limp liberal political stance: although the politics if a paper isn't necessarily an indicator of its quality...for instance the times and the telegraph along with the sunday times have some excellent writing and decent crosswords-so does the independent
The mail is a different story altogether same with the express: there is no decent journalism in either of them mad mel used to be good for a laugh Allison Pearson is undoubtedly the template for polly filler in private eye
The hysterical nasty minded stance of the mail and the express seems to be directly aimed at the members of the members of suburban golf clubs
Keeping it local

#30 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Then you need to broaden your mind a bit
All sorts of people read the daily mail

TBH I'd have thought anyone who reads this paper would benefit more from your advice. The Mail's performance re the Long/Gleeson affair should be enough to put any League fan off for life. But that apart the Mail is a very nasty newspaper, its proprietor a proven tax avoider and its editor a bully who (given the stance of this forum on swearing) should be avoided like the plague.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,575 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

TBH I'd have thought anyone who reads this paper would benefit more from your advice. The Mail's performance re the Long/Gleeson affair should be enough to put any League fan off for life. But that apart the Mail is a very nasty newspaper, its proprietor a proven tax avoider and its editor a bully who (given the stance of this forum on swearing) should be avoided like the plague.

There are some very nasty people who follow rugby league
I'd be careful about going down the tax avoidance route if I were you when criticising people and institutions same with bullys
Keeping it local

#32 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

There are some very nasty people who follow rugby league
I'd be careful about going down the tax avoidance route if I were you when criticising people and institutions same with bullys

I disagree; we should never hold back where bullying is concerned. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,575 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

I disagree; we should never hold back where bullying is concerned.

I agree
The reason being that you have misunderstood what I have said: which indeed refers to holding back where bullying is concerned
The mail is a ghastly newspaper owned and edited by ghastly people
That doesn't automatically taint those who buy it and read it no matter what their political persuasions are
Keeping it local

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Being an RL supporter isn't a guarantee of moderation, but I understand your point. It's just that the Daily Mail seems to be such a sacred cow in the eyes of many on the hard right. Criticising it is like a kind of blasphemy, and provokes such an extreme reaction - as we're seeing here.

"Extreme reaction" meaning that JohnM teased you a bit. I'm sure you'll get over it.

#35 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

If I was only to read papers that have never had a pop at RL, what would I be left with?

#36 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

I agree
The reason being that you have misunderstood what I have said: which indeed refers to holding back where bullying is concerned
The mail is a ghastly newspaper owned and edited by ghastly people
That doesn't automatically taint those who buy it and read it no matter what their political persuasions are

Thanks, I understand where you're coming from now. 

I agree; I know plenty of quite reasonable people who read it, I have just come back from buying a copy myself for Mrs Griff9of13's mother (something I do most days, she is housebound).

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#37 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

I read the Daily Mail most days.  Well, the online version anyway.  It's probably the easiest format of all the newspapers to read, it has 90% of its news on one page rather than hidden away on obscure sub-pages.  I have to read it with a mental filter on though that means I take very little at face value and I'll read the more important stories again in a more rational newspaper (Telegraph, Guardian, Indy) to get a different view.

I find it a very useful intellectual exercise reading the Mail.  When they're strongly against someone, or something, I deliberately become devil's advocate to see if that gives me more context.  It's quite amusing how often that my devil's advocate viewpoint is similar to that shown by the Guardian or Indy's view of the subject.  I do it in reverse with the Guardian when they publish a flighty left-wing puff-piece, I ask myself "What would Paul Dacre say about this?"  It certainly makes the morning newspapers more interesting!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,300 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

If I was only to read papers that have never had a pop at RL, what would I be left with?

You wouldn't even be able to read League Express.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,575 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Quite
Keeping it local

#40 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Disagree, they use a lot of Neil Baracloughs work which is normally excellent and carry a decent amount of images, online anyhow, no idea what the printed version looks like mind haven't seen a copy in years.