Daily Mail watch - part 448

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#41 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

I read the Daily Mail most days.  Well, the online version anyway.  It's probably the easiest format of all the newspapers to read, it has 90% of its news on one page rather than hidden away on obscure sub-pages.  I have to read it with a mental filter on though that means I take very little at face value and I'll read the more important stories again in a more rational newspaper (Telegraph, Guardian, Indy) to get a different view.

I find it a very useful intellectual exercise reading the Mail.  When they're strongly against someone, or something, I deliberately become devil's advocate to see if that gives me more context.  It's quite amusing how often that my devil's advocate viewpoint is similar to that shown by the Guardian or Indy's view of the subject.  I do it in reverse with the Guardian when they publish a flighty left-wing puff-piece, I ask myself "What would Paul Dacre say about this?"  It certainly makes the morning newspapers more interesting!

I only ever go on to the online version if someone links to it, but it seems to be full of celebrity stuff down the right hand side. When I cover a particular duty at work I deliver a copy to an elderly lady and I always catch a quick glance at the front page story. The spin they put on events is incredible; not quite Express, but getting there.

The reactions you get when you attack it, though... :laugh:

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#42 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

I only ever go on to the online version if someone links to it, but it seems to be full of celebrity stuff down the right hand side. When I cover a particular duty at work I deliver a copy to an elderly lady and I always catch a quick glance at the front page story. The spin they put on events is incredible; not quite Express, but getting there.

The reactions you get when you attack it, though... :laugh:

My in laws read the Express.  It's completely bonkers.  The one thing that I have noticed over the years is that the opinions that they read in the Express have/or are slowly finding their way in to their thinking and view of the world as they get older.  It's something of a drip feed.  

Every time they say that they only get it for the crossword, I offer to buy them a selection of crossword puzzle books, at which point they then claim they like the exercise of going to the shop for it.

#43 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Disagree, they use a lot of Neil Baracloughs work which is normally excellent and carry a decent amount of images, online anyhow, no idea what the printed version looks like mind haven't seen a copy in years.

I was talking about the printed version. Apart from being nasty the Mail is also sanctimonious, they print articles condemning sex scandals, but ensure they are almost always accompanied by pictures of, to quote Private Eye "fruity girls." In fact many of their stories seem to follow this pattern - A level results say - the only people seen celebrating their A Level results are adolescent girls.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#44 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

I was talking about the printed version. Apart from being nasty the Mail is also sanctimonious, they print articles condemning sex scandals, but ensure they are almost always accompanied by pictures of, to quote Private Eye "fruity girls." In fact many of their stories seem to follow this pattern - A level results say - the only people seen celebrating their A Level results are adolescent girls.

That's the media generally, not just the Mail. Less attractive girls and boys don't seem to do A-levels.

#45 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

That's the media generally, not just the Mail. Less attractive girls and boys don't seem to do A-levels.

True, but in the mails case it is more hypocritical given their ''moral'' stance. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Something for everyone here:  Hacking trial, police interference, press freedom, Private Eye and the Daily Mail. seehttp://www.dailymail...king-trial.html

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

My in laws read the Express.  It's completely bonkers.  The one thing that I have noticed over the years is that the opinions that they read in the Express have/or are slowly finding their way in to their thinking and view of the world as they get older.  It's something of a drip feed.  

Every time they say that they only get it for the crossword, I offer to buy them a selection of crossword puzzle books, at which point they then claim they like the exercise of going to the shop for it.

That's media influence for you. Good job nobody  reads The Guardian and The Independent or we'd be  in a right left mess!

#48 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

True, but in the mails case it is more hypocritical given their ''moral'' stance.

The Beeb also do morals. They also show pretty girls getting good A-level results.

#49 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Pretty girls do take A-levels.  The less pretty ones drop out of school and become cheerleaders at Wigan.

#50 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,235 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

Sadly, the Daily Mail style guide Twitter account has closed down.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#51 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,235 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Their 'moral' stance looks even more threadbare if you type the rather creepy phrase "all grown up" into their search box.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#52 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Their 'moral' stance looks even more threadbare if you type the rather creepy phrase "all grown up" into their search box.

I dread to think...

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#53 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

I dread to think...

It's quite (in)famous. I believe one of their latest ''subjects'' was about 13. :O
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#54 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

Wasn't it the Mail who urged people to vote for Moseley in the thirties, and also supported Hitler? It was certainly the Mail that published the notorious (and now known to be faked) Zinoviev letter. There was the Ince in Makerfield slag heaps scandal which IIRC involved a fake letter either from or to Wilson, which of course was timed to be run at the same time at the second 1974 election. The Mail really is a terrible paper.

#55 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Not quite. It was in fact the usual Labour shenanegans

see http://books.google....g heaps&f=false

#56 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Not quite. It was in fact the usual Labour shenanegans

see http://books.google....g heaps&f=false

I'm not going to argue because I can't remember, but I'm sure it was proved at the time that Wilson's signature had been forged. The Tories get up to stuff like this all the time, but no one knows about it because of the compliant press - in particular the Daily Mail.

#57 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

The Tories get up to stuff like this all the time, but no one knows about it because of the compliant press - in particular the Daily Mail.

Yet amazingly, you do know about it.

#58 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,657 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm not going to argue because I can't remember, but I'm sure it was proved at the time that Wilson's signature had been forged. The Tories get up to stuff like this all the time, but no one knows about it because of the compliant press - in particular the Daily Mail.

Then why bring it into the debate if you don't know? If no one knows about it because if the compliant press then how come you do? Then again as you say you don't actually know: but if you do know how did you find out bearing in mind the compliant press make sure nobody knows? If you catch my drift 

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 01 November 2013 - 10:39 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#59 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

I read the Daily Mail most days. Well, the online version anyway. It's probably the easiest format of all the newspapers to read, it has 90% of its news on one page rather than hidden away on obscure sub-pages. I have to read it with a mental filter on though that means I take very little at face value and I'll read the more important stories again in a more rational newspaper (Telegraph, Guardian, Indy) to get a different view.

I find it a very useful intellectual exercise reading the Mail. When they're strongly against someone, or something, I deliberately become devil's advocate to see if that gives me more context. It's quite amusing how often that my devil's advocate viewpoint is similar to that shown by the Guardian or Indy's view of the subject. I do it in reverse with the Guardian when they publish a flighty left-wing puff-piece, I ask myself "What would Paul Dacre say about this?" It certainly makes the morning newspapers more interesting!

I have used the daily mail as a quick indication of my stance on issues, generally if they are in favour I'm opposed.
I remember being genuinely undecided on the PR issue, being able to see solid arguments on both sides. On the day I checked the Mail's editorial stance and voted against it.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#60 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,832 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

I remember being genuinely undecided on the PR issue, being able to see solid arguments on both sides. On the day I checked the Mail's editorial stance and voted against it.

For God's sake don't start another Promotion and Relegation thread. Lobby's only just got over his last stress-induced heart attack.

;) :biggrin:

Good to have you back. We thought you'd been sent with Severus on a covert RU mission to spy on the NRL .

Edited by Wolford6, 03 November 2013 - 08:25 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users