Daily Mail watch - part 448

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#101 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Please do not discuss the allegations contained in this PIE subject any further here as TRL have made it abundantly clear that it's not a story that they want anything to do with due to it's serious libel potential.  Your posts will be deleted.

Sorry, I didn't know of any TRL post stating that it was a story they didn't want to discuss.  I personally responded because I had seen an op ed in the print edition of the Sunday Times, which named names (something I didn't do), and so I thought it was fine to discuss, at least in general terms.

#102 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Please do not discuss the allegations contained in this PIE subject any further here as TRL have made it abundantly clear that it's not a story that they want anything to do with due to it's serious libel potential.  Your posts will be deleted.

Understood.

#103 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

This pretty clearly explains why you'll be seeing a lot about this in OpEd pieces but not so much from news sources that don't have the same satisfaction of looking over the primary data that the Mail apparently has.

(And credit to the Mail on this by the way.  I do think it's an area worthy of at least discussion.)

EDIT
I don't think there's anything in the above directly about the allegations but feel free to remove anyway.

It might be worthy of discussion, but anyone who wants to discuss it can do so on the Daily Mail's own website (as I suggested here when the subject was first raised on TRL), so the Daily Mail takes on the responsibility of dealing with any actionable comments in connection with their story, and I don't end up having to decide what's acceptable and what isn't with regard to this particular minefield on behalf of TRL, when I don't honestly know. Simple as that, really.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#104 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

It can also be followed in The Mirror and followed and commented on in The Guardian, as well as The Mail.

#105 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

It can also be followed in The Mirror and followed and commented on in The Guardian, as well as The Mail.

Good for them. They can all afford better lawyers than TRL. ;)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#106 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

That why I posted it-  so that people can follow it without compromising TRL

#107 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

All over the BBC today too, so much for the Sunday Times claim!

#108 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

I bet if it was a Tory/UKIP/BNP MP it be getting discussed by the bucket load on TRL.

#109 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,151 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

I bet if it was a Tory/UKIP/BNP MP it be getting discussed by the bucket load on TRL.

Yeah, 'cause they're not litigious at all!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#110 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,744 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

I bet it bloody well wouldn't be.  If you had much experience on the board you'd know that TRL, being a publishing house itself, natively understands the dangers of "allegations".  The likes of the Daily Mail and others out there might have legal slush funds to cover them for saying anything they like but TRL doesn't.  Also, the wording of those articles is quite clever in avoiding some core immediate libel losses, mainly because they often go through their legal teams before publishing, do your posts go through a legal team to ensure they're legally "safe"?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#111 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

*innocent face*

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#112 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

I bet it bloody well wouldn't be.  If you had much experience on the board you'd know that TRL, being a publishing house itself, natively understands the dangers of "allegations".  The likes of the Daily Mail and others out there might have legal slush funds to cover them for saying anything they like but TRL doesn't.  Also, the wording of those articles is quite clever in avoiding some core immediate libel losses, mainly because they often go through their legal teams before publishing, do your posts go through a legal team to ensure they're legally "safe"?

I forgot you being a publishing house.

#113 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

No it wouldn't. 

#114 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

Has the DM apologised for supporting fascism yet?

LUNEW.jpg

#115 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

*innocent face*

Behave!

#116 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

One particularly idiotic comment removed, aaaaaaaand locked.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users