Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I love the RLWC

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

one thing to add, the 'event' feel has been excellent.

At Warrington last night the dancers plus choir plus anthems etc built it up nicely, and this viral dance they are doing at ht is working well, the number of kids doing a good job on the pitch was amazing.

I know this kind of thing aint everybodies cup of tea but the sense of community being involved is great as far as im concerned.

The announcer reall helped too (better than Cardiff) as he was talking about the fact we have waited years for it, and all the hard work is now over - he was right and it really added to the sense of occasio, the fans responded positively too.

#42 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Great couple of days. Looking forward to going to Rochdale later today. To think we've had two days and already we've got the opening ceremony, David Mead and SBW as moments that people will talk about for years to come.

So much is happening with the World Cup, it's actually difficult to keep up!

Loving every minute.

Agree with all that's been said, brilliant so far

The only downside is that the rest of the country won't have a clue what we are on about unless they stayed up and watched the BBC at 10 to12 last night for the highlights
This is poor. Cut out the chat and show a 30 min update twice a week at a proper time.
Sally Bolton and our chairman need to work their magic.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#43 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

At Warrington last night the dancers plus choir plus anthems etc built it up nicely, and this viral dance they are doing at ht is working well, the number of kids doing a good job on the pitch was amazing.

I know this kind of thing aint everybodies cup of tea but the sense of community being involved is great as far as im concerned.

The announcer reall helped too (better than Cardiff) as he was talking about the fact we have waited years for it, and all the hard work is now over - he was right and it really added to the sense of occasio, the fans responded positively too.

Agreed. I thought the whole evening was very well presented - very professionally done.

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Agree with all that's been said, brilliant so far

The only downside is that the rest of the country won't have a clue what we are on about unless they stayed up and watched the BBC at 10 to12 last night for the highlights
This is poor. Cut out the chat and show a 30 min update twice a week at a proper time.
Sally Bolton and our chairman need to work their magic.

this is the one really poor part of the media deal.

Scotland will not get their highlights shown on the BBC as there is no highlights show until the weekend.
There should have been one for the next three games on Weds.

#45 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

YES YES im loving it too. What a great weekend of RL so far it just leaving me wanting more more more .Its a shame the games are not all live on BBC as I don't have premier sports . Went to craven park yesterday another good game and fair play to Richard Agar although you could say in the end the French were lucky with the missed penalty . But how well did the French defend and muscle up where as in the past French teams would have crumbled. They play a game similar to the Italians doing the basics right with two good half backs and a good kicker. The triple inter change midway through second half by Agar was the turning point as all the French big guns came on together. Back to the world cup like Dave  opening about world cup every year. I do think it could be done every two years on a slightly smaller scale and with qualifiers . 2015 in Australia , 2017 in France , 2019 in New Zealand 2021 in Wales ect .

Chief Crazy Eagle

#46 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

YES YES im loving it too. What a great weekend of RL so far it just leaving me wanting more more more .Its a shame the games are not all live on BBC as I don't have premier sports . Went to craven park yesterday another good game and fair play to Richard Agar although you could say in the end the French were lucky with the missed penalty . But how well did the French defend and muscle up where as in the past French teams would have crumbled. They play a game similar to the Italians doing the basics right with two good half backs and a good kicker. The triple inter change midway through second half by Agar was the turning point as all the French big guns came on together. Back to the world cup like Dave  opening about world cup every year. I do think it could be done every two years on a slightly smaller scale and with qualifiers . 2015 in Australia , 2017 in France , 2019 in New Zealand 2021 in Wales ect .

Mate it's £10 for the month on Premier Player which is online viewing, no need for Sky.

I can watch it on my iPhone or laptop.

It's a bargain definitely get it!

Edited by ShotgunGold, 28 October 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#47 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

That's the key for me making games feel like events something not to be missed and that's summut I want to see the rfl take on board and take into the super league and be ambitious with the internationals, magic weekend and I'd look at taking some of our big super league games to big stadiums

This World Cup has got off to a great start and is only going to get better I love this rugby World Cup

#48 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Spoke to someone, no names, but he was talking to Daniel Anderson before the game, and was told that Australia have been training flat out here and in Australia, and that they wanted to embarrass England with a big score, and put a marker down for the rest of the tournament, sorry it didn't happen Australia.
Also just as our coach was leaving the motorway service station, the Australian coach pulled up, it looked like a trip to Lourdes, they were glum very glum, till they noticed they had been recognised, then Slater and Thurston started to mess about like kids, several of their players found it hard to get off the coach, Bird was the worst, Inglis was another one who struggled to get off.

#49 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Mate it's £10 for the month on Premier Player which is online viewing, no need for Sky.

I can watch it on my iPhone or laptop.

It's a bargain definitely get it!

I would much rather spend my cash going to games than sat in front on tv am going to eleven world cup games for a total of £107.50 but better being there

Chief Crazy Eagle

#50 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

Doghead, I would be annoyed if the Kangaroos were anything but glum about their performance. That's good news, if true.

Anyway, I am absolutely loving our World Cup. I've just had Thai delivered for dinner, and just put on Fiji/Ireland for the evening. This is an awesome feeling. I'm going to miss being able to watch so many games once the group stage is over.

Edited by CGD, 29 October 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#51 SteveT

SteveT
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Wish everyone would stop being so blooming positive. Gutted I can't be back for what seems the biggest RL comp ever. Reading all the excitement about the smaller games brings back great memories of the student/emerging nations world cups of 2000ish? Loved the Russia Wales game at odsal on a wet and foggy autumn night and seeing one of the russians sent off from the KO in an Adrian Morley esque rush of blood.

#52 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Thought this should be brought back up. Scotland v Tonga is exactly what the RLWC is about.

I said before it started that people should get along to these 'lesser' games, great to see so many are, and boy are they being rewarded.

#53 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

well i just bought 4 more tickets on the back of last night

Have gone for the England game in Hull and the QF at the DW. I already have tickets for the final

If Fiji were to beat England I don't think seeing Fiji again would be too shabby!

#54 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

On the match tonight. When did you ever think you'd see someone panicking because they might miss the last 10 minutes of a USA v Cook Islands match in Bristol because they need to catch the train..

It's time to park the camels.

#55 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

With the great crowds on show so far and what will no doubt continue, and also the great games that we have seen, the organisers or whoever have defo missed a trick by the majority of the games being on premier sports and lack of substancial bbc tv coverage, no potential new fans would have subscribed to that channel, would have been great if the bbc had midweek highlights or highlights each night of the game instead of a weekly highlights programme close to midnight on a sunday. I hope Fiji and Ireland put up a great fight against England and these are not one sided affairs, thats where the big audience is and this will be their view of our great game and the tournament.

Anyways not to dampen it all but I think its an oppurtunity missed with the great rugby and crowds we have had to showcase this to as wider audience as possible

#56 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

With the great crowds on show so far and what will no doubt continue, and also the great games that we have seen, the organisers or whoever have defo missed a trick by the majority of the games being on premier sports and lack of substancial bbc tv coverage, no potential new fans would have subscribed to that channel, would have been great if the bbc had midweek highlights or highlights each night of the game instead of a weekly highlights programme close to midnight on a sunday. I hope Fiji and Ireland put up a great fight against England and these are not one sided affairs, thats where the big audience is and this will be their view of our great game and the tournament.

Anyways not to dampen it all but I think its an oppurtunity missed with the great rugby and crowds we have had to showcase this to as wider audience as possible

This is a vital showcase - as long as it carries on being as superb as it has been so far, the next RWC will attract even more interest from broadcasters, including terrestrial stations. 

Most of them won't have had much awareness of the 2008 event on the other side of the world, but would have remembered 2000 and wondered whether this year's tournament was worth showing much of.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#57 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Doghead, I would be annoyed if the Kangaroos were anything but glum about their performance. That's good news, if true.

Anyway, I am absolutely loving our World Cup. I've just had Thai delivered for dinner, and just put on Fiji/Ireland for the evening. This is an awesome feeling. I'm going to miss being able to watch so many games once the group stage is over.

What did you order?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#58 callig

callig
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

Loving it.  Actually looking forward more to the group c/d games in the next round rather than the a/b group games...except PNG v Samoa...and England obviously.  Who am I kidding; its all amazing.

#59 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

No game tomorrow! What am I going to do?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#60 Eastmoorboy

Eastmoorboy
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

No game tomorrow! What am I going to do?

Time to catch up on a few jobs round the house,I suppose. On the back of tonight's performance just put my hand in my pocket for USA v Scotland!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users