Why have a Kiwi Ref when the games outcome can benefit them

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:44 AM

I am not saying this Kiwi Ref favoured the Aussie's even if most of the country did, but having a Kiwi Ref when the losers will in all probability play them in the Semi's for the Final berth clincher is barmy.

Ask 100 Kiwi's who they would prefer to meet in the semi's England or Oz i'd wager you struggle to find many answer Oz, So why was this fella selected ? Why not have a Ref who doesn't hail from either country but a fella from Wales or France or wherever, yes some would argue they are not experienced enough, well you get experience from being employed in your field of choosing don't you, besides Albert has the Qualifications as im sure a few more have as well.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but many questionable decisions hindered England's chances of ensuring a Kiwi vs Oz semi yesterday, which raises the question here.

NZ don't get many chances to win anything in world sport except Rugby & im left wondering if they were given a helping hand without playing yesterday :(

England's indiscipline cost us dear yesterday but also the rub of the green certainly went against us also. 

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

You are drawing a long bow there.

English people don't want an Aussie Refs because its bias

Don't want a Kiwi because its a conflict of interest.

Just appoint an English Ref and be done with it.

The Ref is always scapegoated in these games.

#3 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

They don't want an English ref either because they apparently try too hard to be fair, which means penalising England more.

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

The keen eyed NRL employee who spotted the English forward pass that lead to the 12 point shift was as bent as Uri Geller's spoon set. Plus, we then had to put up with an Aussie ref for an Aussie team in the second game.
The propensity for the Aussies to cry big tears if they don't get a southern hemisphere ref is so strong we're lumbered with it for now.

I rest my case M'Lord

#5 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

The Kiwis I watched the game with (who wanted an Aussie win because of the semi-final) were embarrassed by the reffing in that game.  

I'm torn - I want neutral refs - so in the long run I'm pleased with the use Mr P......BUT he always refs as though he's determined not to ###### off his (aussie) NRL bosses.  I would think he's the one ref that most NZ Warriors fans don't want during the NRL season....he's so eager to be "neutral" he's a liability.

I also think he struggled with the role of being a single ref.

However - mistakes I can understand......but the bizarre video ref interpretations of what is/isn't obstruction and the benefit of the doubt rule that left me (and my fellow watchers) astonished.

I watched a great game of RL.....but I think it should have been an epic game - and that would have happened if the calls had been 50/50.

However - it's a tournament - it's still all to play for and a great five weeks of rugby still to go :-)

Edited by kier, 27 October 2013 - 08:13 AM.

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,230 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

I am not saying this Kiwi Ref favoured the Aussie's

Yes you are
Bloody ridiculous
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#7 The Game Caller

The Game Caller
  • Facebook
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

I had no problems with Perenara yesterday.

#8 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

The Kiwis I watched the game with (who wanted an Aussie win because of the semi-final) were embarrassed by the reffing in that game.  

I'm torn - I want neutral refs - so in the long run I'm pleased with the use Mr P......BUT he always refs as though he's determined not to ###### off his (aussie) NRL bosses.  I would think he's the one ref that most NZ Warriors fans don't want during the NRL season....he's so eager to be "neutral" he's a liability.

I also think he struggled with the role of being a single ref.

However - mistakes I can understand......but the bizarre video ref interpretations of what is/isn't obstruction and the benefit of the doubt rule that left me (and my fellow watchers) astonished.

I watched a great game of RL.....but I think it should have been an epic game - and that would have happened if the calls had been 50/50.

However - it's a tournament - it's still all to play for and a great five weeks of rugby still to go :-)

Which calls did you not like?

Australia did some forward passes that led to nothing and were let go.

England stripped the ball with two in the tackle several times but were only pulled up once..

England did a really blatant forward pass to Tomkins and it was pulled up but it may have led to nothing too.

Englands Winger was found to step into touch by an English Touch Judge and another poster here as shown pictures that make it a plausible call.

A Kiwi Ref did not send off Sam Burgess when he would have walked in most games 99% of the time.

Sometimes teams lack of discipline cause them to lose, not the Referee for penalising those indiscretions.

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Klein was worse in the second game. He may even qualify for "Italy".

#10 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

Anyone who thinks Sam a Burgess should of been sent off needs there head looking at and is determined to ruin the spectacle of the game.
waddell

#11 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

The keen eyed NRL employee who spotted the English forward pass that lead to the 12 point shift was as bent as Uri Geller's spoon set. Plus, we then had to put up with an Aussie ref for an Aussie team in the second game.
The propensity for the Aussies to cry big tears if they don't get a southern hemisphere ref is so strong we're lumbered with it for now.

Are you serious about that forward pass decision? It was a mile forward.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#12 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Anyone who thinks Sam a Burgess should of been sent off needs there head looking at and is determined to ruin the spectacle of the game.

What do you need to do to get sent off then? It was a shocker
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#13 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have a MAJOR problem with the fact that he went to the video referee to confirm the grounding for George Burgess' try.  He had a perfect view of a perfect grounding and yet was incapable of making the most basic of decisions.

If he was unsure of that call then quite simply he is nowhere near the required standard for this level of RL.

Posted Image

#14 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Which calls did you not like? You have been a bit selective....however...

Australia did some forward passes that led to nothing and were let go.

This doesn't make sense.....they should have been England possession - it's disingenuous to say the "led to nothing".........especially as you seem to agree that they were" let go"?

England stripped the ball with two in the tackle several times but were only pulled up once..

Once?  Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me ....Fifita is a rookie but he certainly knows when to throw  the ball away....good on him I suppose it is some sort of skill.

England did a really blatant forward pass to Tomkins and it was pulled up but it may have led to nothing too.

Yep - a definite forward pass

Englands Winger was found to step into touch by an English Touch Judge and another poster here as shown pictures that make it a plausible call.

A bad call

A Kiwi Ref did not send off Sam Burgess when he would have walked in most games 99% of the time.

????????????????

Sometimes teams lack of discipline cause them to lose, not the Referee for penalising those indiscretions.

I really don't think England were lacking discipline......especially given the sheer volume of penalities.  Was that really a 10+ display?  

I'm actually not bitter - it was, in fact, a fantastic game to watch and a great start to the WC.

• I am still mystified by the Burgess no-try as there was no video evidence that he lost the ball.....therefore benefit of the doubt (under international rules).
  • The Tate interference on a video ref call should have been a penalty (especially aggravating as Mr P only went to Video so check if the player had actually gone into touch....gggrr)
  • How the video ref didn't see Thurston pass behind his own player in the last try was a joke

Still....old news now. Looking forward to tomorrow's game now.  Today's were excellent.  The next 5 weeks will be fantastic regardless of the results.

#15 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

This whole thread is embarrassing.

The ref didn't lose us the game, our inability to create chances out wide, even on the back of forward dominance, was the key to our loss. Plus the stupid penalties we gave away.

Do people really think that the ref should just ignore England, and just penalise the opposition?

Also, to say Sam Burgess should not have been sent off is ridiculous. 

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Edited,

sorry, I was out of order kier.

Edited by boxhead, 28 October 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#17 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

I can not be arsed replying to that.

Go outside and do something instead of wasting your life typing that Tripe.

Nice talking to you too.....enjoy the rugby - it's just a game (albeit the greatest one on the planet).

It's going to be a great World Cup.

#18 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

I thought a lot of the 50:50 calls went the Aussies way. There were a lot of dubious "strip in the tackle" penalties awarded to the Aussies, yet similar incidents were knock ons for England.

The George Burgess no try was a shocker as well.

Thierry Alibert can't be that bad, surely?
Posted Image

#19 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Ridiculous thread, the best team won

#20 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

all the arguing on here shows how subjective and difficult reffing is. some people see one thing and others see it different! it's a hard job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users