Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Why have a Kiwi Ref when the games outcome can benefit them

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

I don't get the point of the thread. If you are thinking like that you would have to select refs from countries not involved in the tournament. As a ref from any country involved would have the potential to have an effect on one of their countries potential opponent. Whether that's in the same group of possible quarter/semi final opponents.

#22 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Of course the best team won....but did they need to be given such a big hand by the officials.
This forum gives everyone s chance to air their opinion. Why do some have to be so irritable when they don't agree with the views expressed?

Ridiculous thread, the best team won

I can not be arsed replying to that.
Go outside and do something instead of wasting your life typing that Tripe.

#23 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

Of course the best team won....but did they need to be given such a big hand by the officials.
This forum gives everyone s chance to air their opinion. Why do some have to be so irritable when they don't agree with the views expressed?

The idea that a ref would use his powers to manipulate the score in favor of his home nation getting an easier run to the final is in my opinion ridiculous and scraping the barrel of excuses.  

#24 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

The idea that a ref would use his powers to manipulate the score in favor of his home nation getting an easier run to the final is in my opinion ridiculous and scraping the barrel of excuses.

What about the idea of a ref appeasing the side that represents his paymasters?

Not saying I think that's what happened, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.
Posted Image

#25 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

I don't believe for one minute refs are bent. Having said that the guy yesterday was in an invidious position. The Aussies are smart at pressurising officials and by that I don't just mean the players. The old saying " he who pays the piper calls the tune " springs to mind. It's just the same in soccer. Do you think any team gets a fair shake at Old Trafford when you play Man Utd,
A pal of mine used to say " You've got to win there to get a draw ". It 's just the same when you play the Aussies.

#26 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Clearly Perenara is more at home with the Aussies, who pay his wages, and they are at home with him. Clearly Italy were more at home with Klein. And their touch judge who spotted one forward pass all game is clearly at home with his employers.
Every team will look to get the most out of the referees. Sheens and Smith must have been delighted with the selection and the performance of the officials. To throw in our very own touch judge's and video ref was more tha they could have hoped for.
It's the one area of the international game you can rely on the Aussies to show an interest in.
The better team won, but the narrowly worse team could have won with more sympathetic and consistent decision making.
I don't see this as pathetic. It's an important part of the tournament. If we are only drawing referees from 2 competitions, then the nationality is far less significant than the familiarity/pay master point. We should have a SL ref in the final. We won't because the Aussies would have another Kim Hughes moment if we did.

#27 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

This whole thread is embarrassing.

The ref didn't lose us the game, our inability to create chances out wide, even on the back of forward dominance, was the key to our loss. Plus the stupid penalties we gave away.

Do people really think that the ref should just ignore England, and just penalise the opposition?

Also, to say Sam Burgess should not have been sent off is ridiculous. 

For me the major factor in our loss was purely errors at key moments... yep penalties as you say plus other errors.  We made it easy for the Aussie's, not saying it would have won us the game but the area's we threw up possession was the key element. Of course creating more chances would have helped to say the obvious but then we are playing a pretty good team that know how to defend. The forward dominance was not throughout the game, apart from the first 20mins I don't see how we had forward dominance. Yes, for sure some thrusting runs and hard tackles but that was hardly relentless and can hardly be deemed forward dominance.  Yeah we did OK but how can anyone say forward dominance, especially the 2nd half.

#28 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

for me, the worst penalty to concede is for the ball steal, deliberate and stupid

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#29 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

If I didn't know this forum and rugby league fans so well I'd think this was a trolling thread.

Let me get this straight in my mind... if we have an England v Australia game, we can't have a NZ ref because we may play them later in the contest.

Using the same weird logic, does that mean:

- We can't have one from France because he's used to the English players and may penalise them more due to knowing their games.

- We can't have one from England or Australia, just because we can't.

- We can't have one from the other nations because their refs are too inexperienced.

What about a random selection from the crowd?  Nope?  Too biased one way or another?

Where are the refs supposed to come from then?  Specifically, where are the refs going to come from with the experience necessary to referee at the pinnacle of our game?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#30 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

The Tate pass that went into Hall was a bad decision to give Aus the scrum feed.

Either it was play if the ref deemed Hall not to have played at the ball, or if he did play at the ball then it was a scrum feed to England as Tate passed/flicked it forward into Hall.

Ball stripping is very subjective, I think a full penalty is too harsh a penalty for something that in a large % of cases can be 50:50

#31 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

I don't believe for one minute refs are bent. Having said that the guy yesterday was in an invidious position. The Aussies are smart at pressurising officials and by that I don't just mean the players. The old saying " he who pays the piper calls the tune " springs to mind. It's just the same in soccer. Do you think any team gets a fair shake at Old Trafford when you play Man Utd,
A pal of mine used to say " You've got to win there to get a draw ". It 's just the same when you play the Aussies.

OK, Hands up I worded my original badly (Was rushing it as I was going out, big mistake knowing this forum) this ^^^^ was more like what i was trying to say, the powerhouse clubs seem to get the rub of the green more than everyone else, it just happends, why can not be explained can it.

A few years back there was a Premier league stat spread sheet & it revealed that during the Fergie years MUFC always came out with the rub of the green on many levels, some could be explained some could not.

By the way several replies on here are out of order & insulting personally,  

#32 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Terrible refereeing but no idea why people are complaining, given the 2 biggest calls of the night went in our favour.

Does anyone here think Westwood and Burgess would have stayed on the field for their high shots with an English ref, given the tendency of English refs to use red cards? At a bare minimum one of them would have been gone, but definitely the potential that we could have played just about all of the match with 12 men and the final quarter with 11.

I think the case for the above is even more realistic when you consider that an English ref wouldn't want to be perceived as being in favour of England, and so would likely have scrutinised us more.

I can't take seriously anybody suggesting England were hard done by. Especially as I remember most of you whinging the last time England played Australia when Tony Williams wasn't red carded for a high shot. I remember that because I must have been the only English person on the internet who thought the ref got it right(in not sending Williams off) where as everybody else claimed England were robbed.

Seems that every game England play, in the eyes of the majority of England fans, we're robbed.

Terrible refereeing, no doubt, but the big calls absolutely went in Englands favour. Westwood and Burgess both got away with red-card standard high shots by English standards.

Bit embarassing seeing people suggesting the reffing went against us. It really didn't.

#33 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have a MAJOR problem with the fact that he went to the video referee to confirm the grounding for George Burgess' try.  He had a perfect view of a perfect grounding and yet was incapable of making the most basic of decisions.

If he was unsure of that call then quite simply he is nowhere near the required standard for this level of RL.

This ^^^^ bemused me also, he was right there with a clear view, why he felt unsure of his ability to interprate the laws of the game or unsure of what he witnessed from a few yards and needed reassurance is mindblowing 

#34 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Perenara isn't hooky, he just isn't good enough. The Tom Briscoe ghost no try sums up his ability for me.

#35 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

This forum gives everyone s chance to air their opinion. Why do some have to be so irritable

Because they are irritated
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#36 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

What do you need to do to get sent off then? It was a shocker

Well you need to lay Fielden out and then nearly break Shaun Longs' jaw and cheekbone..oh hang. plenty of Brits get an early bath when playing aussies This time it went our way

Edited by jacksy, 27 October 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

I have a MAJOR problem with the fact that he went to the video referee to confirm the grounding for George Burgess' try.  He had a perfect view of a perfect grounding and yet was incapable of making the most basic of decisions.

If he was unsure of that call then quite simply he is nowhere near the required standard for this level of RL.

The same thing happens in SL with our own refs.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#38 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

Maybe we should have had the man Frenchman Terrance Albert !?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users