Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Biggest Gate At Spotland ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Do any of the football fans that lurk on here know what the biggest gate for a football match has been since the ground was re-developed ?
The biggest rugby crowd I've been in was for the Widnes/Oldham play off final about 12 years ago. That was a sell out and a great atomosphere. The famous Hornets/ Oldham Boxing Day game must have nearly been a sell out.
In the old days when I watched both teams I remember a crowd of about 14,000 for the Coventry FA cup game. There was a similar gate for the Rochdale v Halifax crucial league game in the first promotion season. That night cars were parked for miles around the ground.

#2 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

There was 7000+ there when FC united played in the FA cup a few years ago.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#3 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

I know that Dale played a friendly with City and fans were sat in the aisles, the City directors were even letting fans into their Director's Box as it was that rammed.

Whatever, today is a massive feather in the cap for Hornets, and all involved with putting this bid in and then making it the success it has become.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#4 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Really looking forward to tonight, Lets hope the weather does not get it cancelled.

#5 tonyhumphriesbaldhead

tonyhumphriesbaldhead
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Play off semi final against Darlington in 2008 had 9870 on it was a complete sell out but not full capacity due to segregation in the Willbutts Lane stand. Ight be just a bit less tonight as a few seats have been taken up by thr big screen and tv cameras throughout the ground.

#6 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Play off semi final against Darlington in 2008 had 9870 on it was a complete sell out but not full capacity due to segregation in the Willbutts Lane stand. Ight be just a bit less tonight as a few seats have been taken up by thr big screen and tv cameras throughout the ground.

I went to that game, I didn't realise it was a sell out. Was it all ticket ? I don't recall having to buy a ticket.

#7 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

Really looking forward to tonight, Lets hope the weather does not get it cancelled.

Mm, it's a bit mixed at the moment. Heavy showers then bright intervals.

#8 tonyhumphriesbaldhead

tonyhumphriesbaldhead
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

I went to that game, I didn't realise it was a sell out. Was it all ticket ? I don't recall having to buy a ticket.

Yes was deffo all ticket and sold out very quickly.

#9 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

What the promised gate confirms is that there is 100% a market for Rugby League in Rochdale - the problem is and always has been tapping into it from a Hornets point of view 

The game in Rochdale needs to capitalize on tonight across the board from Schools RL, Mayfield, Cobras, Hornets - we need to get as many people involved/interested as possible at whatever level and it can only be good for the game which has for so long dwindled in Rochdale 

#10 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I agree it is really sad how over a long period of time Hornets and Oldham have lost their support.  Oldham I can understand they lost the ground and hit skid row and a big fan base over time went west.  Hornets on the other hand during my time supporting the game since around 1969 never had quite that level of support but they sold the Athletics ground for a very tidy sum and helped build up a  good little ground which is good enough for world cup rugby.  Sadly Hornets never quite kicked on and perhaps that is why the crowds have slowly dwindled year on year.

However I have a huge soft spot for the club and was delighted at the final and I feel that all the input by Saints has helped Hornets, the facilities at Cowley are fantastic and so is access to leading edge medical equipment.  Ian Talbot has been around some fantastic process people at Saints and he knows he has things to learn but half the battle in life is realising this.  One thing is for certain the few occasions I had a look at Hornets last season the whole package from the side line to the pitch looked really professional.

This game tonight could kick on from the glory of promotion and bring a few fans back I hope it does and I hope these people are realistic.  The board forget old and new because I feel Mr. Taylor and Mr. Vining loved the club as much as the supporters board does, but they can only put out on that field a team that is competitive but within a realistic budget.  Leigh Fax and Fev will be far too strong but the rest are nothing to be frightened of.

I have always thought if the standing area was open for every game it would attract a people back to the ground and help the atmosphere and if the fans were treated less like football fans that may help.  It is good that people are realising the schools aspect is important, and maybe one or two posters on here who go on about the chuffin billy cup need to realise it is not just the money lost to the game in sponsorship next season from that sponsor but the hundreds of school visits over the years made by representatives of the organisation talking rail safety and encouraging fitness in children through rugby league. 

Lets hope for nine thousand tonight and at least a thousand at every home game next season.  That would be a nice start back on the right road.

#11 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

The crowds dropped due I believe due to three main factors

1. Introduction of super league that led to the partition of the game into full time professionals and heavy marketing of the top tier leaving the lower levels to struggle on with little effort on the part of the RFL to promote that part of the game.

2.  The movement from the Athletic Grounds alienated some traditional supporters located close to the old ground - (try getting to Spotland from the other side of town by public transport on a Sunday). New support from around the Spotland area (traditionally a soccer area) was not found in sufficient numbers to replace these.

3. Relegation to the third level and the constant re(dis)organisation of the lower tiers of the rugby league leaving the club with an increasing number of fixtures against 'new' teams that people haven't heard about and don't care about.

Maybe if the RFL put one tenth of what has been spent on marketing the world cup into marketing the championship then we might start to get decent crowds again.

#12 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Congratulations to RLWC and all involved with promoting the game at Spotland.  It was a great to see a capacity crowd and fittingly they witnessed a magnificent game.

#13 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Tonight's crowd was 8872, a sell-out and the game off like clockwork. The only dampener was the weather which failed to 'come to th party' and di a wet, very wet, blanket instead.

There were plenty of 'helpers' who were ready, willing and able to help anyone with a problem and it particularly pleasing to see so many Fijians in the stadium.

A few weeks ago it was the playing and coaching staff who made us proud winning promotion and tonight it was all those involved with the bid which was a 100% success.

It's very good to be a Hornet right now!!!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#14 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

Its a bit unfair that these two teams (both underdogs) have to front up against England and Australia at the weekend with the 'masters' having been given more than 48 hours additional preparation/recovery time.

#15 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

Yes,a massive well done to all concerned at Hornets and Dale for putting on such a memorable occasion. The pitch looked fantastic,everybody seemed to enjoy the game,but the most important thing to me was the fact that so many people put aside their own agendas and went along to witness an historical night for the whole town. Let`s hope both Hornets and Dale can kick on from this and get those old (and new) fans back to support both codes and help our much aligned town to bounce back from all the negatives it has received in the recent past.  

#16 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

Great advert for the game; only a pity it was not televised to a wider audience.  Those hits!!  Well done to all concerned for the wonderful occasion.

Someone else was happy with the Rochdale "experience"..

http://southwakefiel...le-and-a-smack/

#17 apiarist

apiarist
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Why no Studs Bar open ?

#18 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Do the club make any money from hosting ?

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

#19 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm not sure whether Hornets get a financial reward out of this match but the stadium company will benefit especially from a big crowd like that. Where Hornets definitely will benefit is with their profile at Red Hall. Putting on a faultless display with a sell-out crowd at a venue not known for massive gates and the whole night going off without a problem. In the future our bids will be looked on very favourably.

How good was it hearing people say the game at Rochdale is a SELL-OUT!!!!!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#20 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

It will depend on how much the bid and guarantee to host the game cost - something which was never disclosed. - and also the cost of putting the game on.

But lets hope there is enough to not leave the local taxpayer out of pocket and some surplus to share among the partners involved in the bid.

I expect the RLWC will be downloading all sorts of overheads such as marketing onto to local bids - they can pump their profits into more new teams in Coventry, Northampton and who knows where else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users