Stormageddon - The south gets windy and wet

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

Big storm on the way...

Many are saying it's because of low pressure and the jet stream, some that it's a sign of global warming, some cosmic rays and the position of the moon...

Yet we all know the real reason...

The Rugby League World Cup! Biggest influence on weather, transport and industrial relations in the UK...Ever!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,932 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

Nah, its just a storm in a worldcup.

#3 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

bet its nowt more than a strong breeze, always hyped up for the worse these days and then a few twigs get blown about.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

Quite a few fallen trees round here so a fair few roads blocked.

And no trains.

This means I can't get to the station and, if I could, there's no trains to get there anyway.

Gutted.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

bet its nowt more than a strong breeze, always hyped up for the worse these days and then a few twigs get blown about.

Fifty trees blown down on railway lines down south. A load of scaffolding blown down in London and cars crushed by falling trees. Not to mention a lad lost out at sea and flooded homes. They certainly got this one right. I cannot fathom out the people who decided to gather on gale swept seaside resorts. Suicidal stupidity.

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Landed in Schiphol this morning (I'm touring with my band).  The place was deserted, according to our pilot loads of planes have been aborting their landings and circling.  There was no queue at passport control/immigration etc.

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,932 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Text to radio five live  from listener in Birmingham: someone's hair just got ruffled by a slight breeze.

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

Landed in Schiphol this morning (I'm touring with my band).  The place was deserted, according to our pilot loads of planes have been aborting their landings and circling.  There was no queue at passport control/immigration etc.

Have your groupies arrived OK?  ;)

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Text to radio five live from listener in Birmingham: someone's hair just got ruffled by a slight breeze.

Did they also read out any texts from Kent about the girl who's been killed by a tree falling onto her house?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Several trees down by me. Including one that's now sticking through the back windows and fire escape of the block next door.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Now over 100 trees blocking railway lines, roads blocked, two ferries stranded in the English Channel, floods etc. - and a women BBC News presenter asks an MP whether we have been over cautious in the warnings! 

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Did they also read out any texts from Kent about the girl who's been killed by a tree falling onto her house?

Quite.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,932 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't know, but I'd say that given that the vast  majority of the coverage on radio, on TV, on line and in print has been about the destruction and disruption that the storm has caused right across southern england, the answer has to be yes.  

Clearly, anything that  relieves the unrelenting misery is not welcome in some quarters.

#14 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Total devastation in Sussex, my watering can blew over and leaves everywhere. Garden furniture very wet!!!!

BREAKING NEWS: According to the local Facebook site the McDonalds just down the road from me has suffered a power cut. This following so closely after the outbreak of the 'deadly' false widow spiders in the SE. I am not sure that we can cope with much more....

On a serious note, sorry to hear of the two deaths.

28m391z.jpg

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Set off to work at 7:15am. Got to work at 10:45am. Saw a fair bit of damage en route.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Set off to work at 7:15am. Got to work at 10:45am. Saw a fair bit of damage en route.

You are Gareth Hock and I claim my £5.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

I find these posts about it being blwon out of porportion very hard to take if I'm honest. People have died for goodness sake.

My wife and children are still at home without electricity too (7 hours later) so carryi on taking the wotsit - it's really funny

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#18 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

My wife and children are still at home without electricity too (7 hours later) so carryi on taking the wotsit - it's really funny

However you'll be quids in, just one day with your house under 35ºC should save you a fortune.

#19 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

It's Ok there's a storm due in the north next weekend.  It's the RLWC I tell you!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,932 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

I find these posts about it being blwon out of porportion very hard to take if I'm honest. People have died for goodness sake.

No one is laughing at others misfortune, though no one seems interested when we have power failures here on the Lincs coast..and why would they be?

In the UK today alone,  82 people will have been killed or seriously injured on our roads, 13 people will have died in accidents in the home and overall 1370 people will have died from all causes in the UK and there will be not one mention of these appalling stats in the news. Sure, league tables is not the way to go on this but certainly a sense of proportion is not a bad thing, is it?

Edited by JohnM, 28 October 2013 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users