Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stormageddon - The south gets windy and wet

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#21 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

No one is laughing at others misfortune, though no one seems interested when we have power failures here on the Lincs coast..and why would they be?

In the UK today alone,  82 people will have been killed or seriously injured on our roads, 13 people will have died in accidents in the home and overall 1370 people will have died from all causes in the UK and there will be not one mention of these appalling stats in the news. Sure, league tables is not the way to go on this but certainly a sense of proportion is not a bad thing, is it?

Thats normality though. High winds and people dying due that does not happen everyday.

Did not know you lot on the Lincs coast had electricity yet anyway.

#22 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

No one is laughing at others misfortune, though no one seems interested when we have power failures here on the Lincs coast..and why would they be?

In the UK today alone,  82 people will have been killed or seriously injured on our roads, 13 people will have died in accidents in the home and overall 1370 people will have died from all causes in the UK and there will be not one mention of these appalling stats in the news. Sure, league tables is not the way to go on this but certainly a sense of proportion is not a bad thing, is it?

A sense of proportion? Absolutely

How many people have died this year due to storms? - I'd say today is well above the average and my comment about no electricity was an aside - I can cope a few days without leccy if it means my famly and I staying alive

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,327 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Understood.   One of my guys went to The Netherlands on Sunday on a video job, Finally got back at 1.30 this morning after a rough channel crossing. He reckons that the wind was at its strongest on Monday morning exactly were he was  and that  he saw more trees blown down there than in the UK. However, as the damage reports come in it is clear that the death toll and damage in the UK is high.

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Understood.   One of my guys went to The Netherlands on Sunday on a video job, Finally got back at 1.30 this morning after a rough channel crossing. He reckons that the wind was at its strongest on Monday morning exactly were he was  and that  he saw more trees blown down there than in the UK. However, as the damage reports come in it is clear that the death toll and damage in the UK is high.

I'm in the Netherlands this week, on tour with my band.  There are loads of trees down everywhere, and I saw two artics on their sides yesterday.  The wind was horrendous, in both the countryside and in the cities.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,327 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

He was in Nieuwleusen, Pata Honda WSB team.

#26 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Some towns in Kent have suffered tremendous damage after that storm. Repairs would have run to £500million. They'e decided it's cheaper to just rename themselves as Greater Burnley.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#27 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

The storm was terrible here in Coventry. The city centre was devastated,almost £200.00 of damage.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

It's our turn now.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

According to BBC Suffolk, the overnight tidal surge is enough that floods may reach the into the upper floor of domestic properties.  Some areas around Ipswich have expected tidal increases of over 3.6m.

I think my snorkel is stored away in the attic...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,799 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

According to BBC Suffolk, the overnight tidal surge is enough that floods may reach the into the upper floor of domestic properties.  Some areas around Ipswich have expected tidal increases of over 3.6m.

I think my snorkel is stored away in the attic...

3.6 metres! Dear God, I'm glad I and all my family live at least partway up hills.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

3.6 metres! Dear God, I'm glad I and all my family live at least partway up hills.

If you look at the Environment Agency's flood map for tonight you'll see a lot of areas of the east coast where there are "severe warnings" in place that mean expected peak tide plus storm surges that are likely to threaten life.  If you have a look  south of Hull, you'll see it's essentially Doncaster-upon-Sea.  Plenty of areas with expected tidal levels over 3m.

Our house is about 500m away from one of the marked flood zones and probably safe but I'll be staying up to keep an eye on the fields behind us for any threats.  It'd take a massive flood to get to us but then this area wasn't built on last time there was a tidal surge this big.  My best guess is that the brook near us would have to rise by a full 3m before it would really start to concern me that it'd affect our property but there are plenty of other houses nearby that don't have our advantage of a high bank.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#32 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

If you look at the Environment Agency's flood map for tonight you'll see a lot of areas of the east coast where there are "severe warnings" in place that mean expected peak tide plus storm surges that are likely to threaten life.  If you have a look  south of Hull, you'll see it's essentially Doncaster-upon-Sea.  Plenty of areas with expected tidal levels over 3m.

Our house is about 500m away from one of the marked flood zones and probably safe but I'll be staying up to keep an eye on the fields behind us for any threats.  It'd take a massive flood to get to us but then this area wasn't built on last time there was a tidal surge this big.  My best guess is that the brook near us would have to rise by a full 3m before it would really start to concern me that it'd affect our property but there are plenty of other houses nearby that don't have our advantage of a high bank.

Local TV is reporting that people in Paull just a couple of miles east of Hull are being evacuated from their homes. Kilnsea has flooded and there are reports of flooding in parts of Hull not protected by the River Hull tidal barrier.

By the time the surge gets to your part of the world it could be much more severe due to the bottle neck of the southern North Sea. Stay safe, mate.

• ckn likes this

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#33 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

Local TV is reporting that people in Paull just a couple of miles east of Hull are being evacuated from their homes. Kilnsea has flooded and there are reports of flooding in parts of Hull not protected by the River Hull tidal barrier.

By the time the surge gets to your part of the world it could be much more severe due to the bottle neck of the southern North Sea. Stay safe, mate.

A friend of mine from Hamburg was mentioning that Hamburg and other coastal northern European areas are expecting a bit of a beating with both the heavy storm and the storm surge hitting at the same time, at least we had one then the other to give a bit of a break.

#34 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

Funnily enough the jokers who tweeted pics of fallen over garden furniture during the "Storm in the South" have been much quieter today!

Went Basingstoke to Howden to Kenilworth today and saw 4 overturned lorries - Howden to Kenilworth was 3 1/2 hours
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#35 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Parts of Hull flooding looking rather serious neighbour knocked on my door saying we might have to move quick, ######.

#36 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

Parts of Hull flooding looking rather serious neighbour knocked on my door saying we might have to move quick, ######.

Sounds like there's extensive flooding in the city centre now with no power in some areas. Our lights have been flickering alarmingly.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#37 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

Sounds like there's extensive flooding in the city centre now with no power in some areas. Our lights have been flickering alarmingly.

Panic over I've taken my hi fi upstairs !

#38 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Should we be concerned that the two nuclear power plants near me both have flood alerts covering them and one has a severe alert?  I suppose that's the downfall of having to site these things on the coast for best effectiveness...

#39 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Panic over I've taken my hi fi upstairs !

Phew!

#40 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Should we be concerned that the two nuclear power plants near me both have flood alerts covering them and one has a severe alert?  I suppose that's the downfall of having to site these things on the coast for best effectiveness...

I don't want to alarm you even further, Craig, but the surge was half a metre higher than predicted when it reached Hull.