Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stormageddon - The south gets windy and wet

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#41 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Panic over I've taken my hi fi upstairs !

Just in time, Pete, Radio Humberside are reporting thigh deep water along Clive Sullivan Way and the country park at Hessle under eight feet of water.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#42 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just in time, Pete, Radio Humberside are reporting thigh deep water along Clive Sullivan Way and the country park at Hessle under eight feet of water.

Nothing here yet but to say I'm nervous is an understatement hoping we may have got away with it.

#43 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

There are some very nasty looking floods hitting so far inland up near the Boston area that people are just sitting back with a "nope, won't happen to us" attitude.  I can see a few fatalities coming through fingers in the ear stubbornness.  Heard on the radio that police are getting frustrated at the number of people turning up at known flood sites to get photos then wanting to be rescued when they get stranded.

First sniff of a flood and the house is getting sealed, been more than a few years since I was shown how to do it properly in the army.  Problem is that I'll need to go help the neighbour as well as she's in her 70s and not very sprightly, she's one of those that's so proud and independent that I know fairly well that her answer will be "I'll just go to bed and it'll be fine in the morning" regardless of what happens.

Kindle charged (so the light will operate, not that I expect a 2 week outage!).  Emergency lights charged.  Camping kit brought indoors from garage.  Emergency heaters in place.  Mobiles charged.  Cats locked in.

The good thing about the army is that it doesn't half bang into your head about there never being such a thing as over-prepared when your spidey sense of "hmmm, something's not right" kicks in.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#44 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Good luck to all you guys, it sounds like you may be in for a rough night.

Remember objects can be replaced people can't.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#45 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

There are some very nasty looking floods hitting so far inland up near the Boston area that people are just sitting back with a "nope, won't happen to us" attitude. I can see a few fatalities coming through fingers in the ear stubbornness. Heard on the radio that police are getting frustrated at the number of people turning up at known flood sites to get photos then wanting to be rescued when they get stranded.

First sniff of a flood and the house is getting sealed, been more than a few years since I was shown how to do it properly in the army. Problem is that I'll need to go help the neighbour as well as she's in her 70s and not very sprightly, she's one of those that's so proud and independent that I know fairly well that her answer will be "I'll just go to bed and it'll be fine in the morning" regardless of what happens.

Kindle charged (so the light will operate, not that I expect a 2 week outage!). Emergency lights charged. Camping kit brought indoors from garage. Emergency heaters in place. Mobiles charged. Cats locked in.

The good thing about the army is that it doesn't have bang into your head about there never being such a thing as over-prepared when your spidey sense of "hmmm, something's not right" kicks in.

Fingers crossed for you.

#46 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

Aye, hope all is well for those in potentially effected areas. As a Hebden Bridge resident, I've seen recently enough on more than one occassion what damage flooding can do!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#47 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

Well, looks like a bit of a miss here in south Suffolk.  A few of the big flood risks hit but many others didn't, the storm surge hit before high tide rather than at the same time meaning the worst excesses were missed.  Essex looks like it's going to get a bit of a beating though.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#48 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

Look North briefly showed people 'playing with the waves' on Marine Drive Scarborough. Some people are so unbelievably stupid.

LUNEW.jpg

#49 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

Humberside Police have declared the flooding "A state of emergency" and have advised people not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Clive Sullivan way closed between Hull and North Ferriby. 

The Ibis Hotel in Hull City centre has 19 rooms flooded and has no power.

Deary me, not good around here.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#50 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Look North briefly showed people 'playing with the waves' on Marine Drive Scarborough. Some people are so unbelievably stupid.

Totally agree. As for those at risk or indeed flooded, I hope all ends well. I'm very fortunate, in that our area situated at the top of an hill never gets flooded from heavy rainfall, although one road leading out to Wigan gets slightly flooded. 

#51 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

There are some very nasty looking floods hitting so far inland up near the Boston area that people are just sitting back with a "nope, won't happen to us" attitude.  

According to the paper, there are people in Norfolk refusing to leave their homes because they fear looting.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#52 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

According to the paper, there are people in Norfolk refusing to leave their homes because they fear looting.

A police friend said that many people know that if they go then it's a perfect opportunity for the #### of an area to do some free Christmas shopping.

#53 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

last night received texts from concerned mates in other parts of the UK and this morning a phone call from France. They had formed the view from the media that we ere in moral danger. I was able to inform them that in case of  real emergency, the wife was perfectly able to piggy-back me to safely. 

Morte later, when 't missus returns from her stint in the shop at the Mablethorpe Lifeboat Station

#54 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Humberside Police have declared the flooding "A state of emergency" and have advised people not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Clive Sullivan way closed between Hull and North Ferriby. 

The Ibis Hotel in Hull City centre has 19 rooms flooded and has no power.

Deary me, not good around here.

Good job the River Hull tidal barrier did its job or things would have been a lot worse. The Environment Agency estimate that it saved around 19,000 properties from being flooded.

I can remember flooding caused by the River Hull before the barrier was built. Never in my lifetime can I recall the Humber coming over the top.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#55 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

"Fish found in.....Hull"

http://www.hulldaily...tail/story.html

Fill yer boots!

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#56 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

Shocking winds yesterday and may be more tomorrow. My wooden fence needs replacing and hopefully I'll fix it next weekend but I'm working this weekend.

It was rocking and rolling like crazy yesterday and slats were coming loose. I don't mind it blowing down into my garden but I don't want it to fall onto the access road on the other side ... there'd be nails everywhere and the slats are re-usable. I have therefore lashed  a restraining rope that ties the fence to the nearby streetlamp.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#57 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Goodliffe's bakers were closed in Alford and Mablethorpe today because their bakery in Trusthorpe, just 150 metres from the sea, was flooded.

Last night there were loads of people on the prom at Mablethorpe, kids and all, playing in the waves washing over the wall.

Environment Agency Floodwatch has bombarded us with flood alert  e-mais, texts, mobile phone calsl and land line calls over the past 48 hours. Just received one calling the whole thing off.

The Flood Warning for Tidal flooding of low-lying areas in Mablethorpe, Trusthorpe and Sutton on Sea is no longer in force. 

No further flooding is currently expected for your area.

Flood Warnings and Alerts may still be in force for surrounding areas.

This morningâs high tide on Friday 6th December 2013 has passed without causing further flooding. We are checking the state of our defences and will update or downgrade our flood alerts and warnings as appropriate. Friday eveningâs high tide is forecast to reach similar levels to this morning, after that levels will be dropping. The situation is an improving one. We advise you to a avoid walking or driving through flood water, donât walk on sea defences or riverbanks, and wash your hands thoroughly if you touch floodwater as it may be contaminated

- Flood water may still be around for several days and could be contaminated.

- Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for advice if you have been affected by flooding and use quickdial 0311224 for up-to-date flooding information.

- Visit the Environment Agency website www.environment-agency.gov.uk for river level and flooding information.

- If you've been flooded, ring your buildings and contents insurance company as soon as possible.

Contact Northern Area Flood Incident Management Team Waterside House Waterside North Lincoln

LN2 5HA. Floodline Tel: 0845 988 1188

#58 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Never known New Brighton to suffer from huge waves like it did. 

#59 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

Never known New Brighton to suffer from huge waves like it did. 

15030327-hurray-lets-celebrate-cheerful-

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#60 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

15030327-hurray-lets-celebrate-cheerful-

Is that the glove you take to the match?  ;)

Edited by Saint Billinge, 07 December 2013 - 07:27 AM.