Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stormageddon - The south gets windy and wet

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#61 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

No, mine's got two erect fingers in case Silverwood is reffing.

:tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#62 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

My son-in law's mother and his sister and her husband live at Burringham, right next to the Trent. He runs a posh car repair and restoration business and the flood has wrecked two Alfa Spyders and a Ferrari.  There was a tidal surge and the garage is buried in 5 feet of mud.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#63 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

My son-in law's mother and his sister and her husband live at Burringham, right next to the Trent. He runs a posh car repair and restoration business and the flood has wrecked two Alfa Spyders and a Ferrari.  There was a tidal surge and the garage is buried in 5 feet of mud.

The surge that came down the Humber was so high it reached a long way down the Trent and Ouse.

I know Burringham well, I often cycle down the road that follows the Trent down from Keadby Bridge. The river defences are so high you can't see the Trent from the road. For it to come over the top shows just how powerful the surge was.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#64 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

The Ibis Hotel in Hull City centre has 19 rooms flooded and has no power.

I lost all sympathy when the hotel manager appeared on TV wearing a Hull KR top.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#65 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:28 AM

That's some mess to clean up. The houses hanging over the cliff tops show how severe the storm was. Some posters on here have previously said that worse disasters happen abroad and true, but then it doesn't make it any easier when people suffer badly over here. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 08 December 2013 - 08:32 AM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#66 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

How some Germans handled the flooding:

dma-261.jpg

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#67 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

How some Germans handled the flooding:

That picture doesn't show Das Boot; it's submerged and about to torpedo the hospital ship.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#68 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

A couple who watched their home fall into the sea during last week's tidal surge say some of their last few belongings have now been stolen.

LINK TO ARTICLE

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#69 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

A couple who watched their home fall into the sea during last week's tidal surge say some of their last few belongings have now been stolen.

LINK TO ARTICLE

The lowest of the low. News up here told of children's gravestones being vandalised and teddy bears, toys, flowers etc being stolen. 

#70 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

LINK TO ARTICLE

It's mad as you wouldn't think your house would be gulped up by the sea in the UK..

#71 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

It's mad as you wouldn't think your house would be gulped up by the sea in the UK..

The sea will gulp anything given half the chance. Much of the east coast of England is vulnerable to erosion and there doesn't seem to be an awful lot you can do. That said, I think a lot of the material gets washed up somewhere else, so there will be places where land is being created. Not a lot of consolation if your house has been destroyed.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#72 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

When my dad lived in Scarborough, he promised to take me for a meal at the Holbeck Hall hotel whose restaurant was supposed to be very good. Unfortunately, before I my next visit, most of it had disappeared down the cliff onto the beach.

HolbeckHall1_large.jpg

Edited by Futtocks, 12 December 2013 - 10:05 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#73 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

I remember visiting Robin Hood Bay some years back and seeing ships bringing huge rocks over from Norway to protect the coast. That said, some people complain not enough is being done in other areas.

#74 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

The next storm is due to hit today.  The train companies have pre-emptively cancelled 50 trains out our way tonight and said there's no trains running tomorrow until 10am.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#75 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

It's pretty windy down South today I must say.

#76 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

The floods have finally got to this little part of Suffolk.  The little brook by our house has at least doubled in size to about 12ft across and is fairly flowing down rather than gently trickling as it used to.  The pic below was taken from our side window this morning showing that the water at least 3-4ft above where it normally is and has partly flooded the field, it's a good foot or so higher since and is almost reaching that path shown.  No danger to our house though unless it goes up by at least 6 foot more and that's so unlikely it's almost inconceivable.

Floods.jpg

#77 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'd like a nice house by the river, wait long enough you will have.

I'd like a nice house by the coast, wait long enough you will have.

Nature will change the landscape, man just helps, in certain places, for it to happen quicker.

The more beautiful and desirable a place is to live in, the more dangerous it is to be there when it comes to the effects of water.

The sad thing is because the ones who can afford to live downstream in the nice areas don't want to pay their fair share, and gain influence to stop things like dredging, the more it affects people upstream.

When local fishing villages etc. were the preserve of fishermen etc they knew the value of looking after the landscape, and would burden the cost.

Once the money idiots who believe in the Thatcher No Society model move in and see things as a pointless expense you get things that were easily avoidable by pulling together and a few bob being thrown in the pot turning into major problems.

Edited by Padge, 01 February 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#78 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

I'd like a nice house by the river, wait long enough you will have.

I'd like a nice house by the coast, wait long enough you will have.

Nature will change the landscape, man just helps, in certain places, for it to happen quicker.

The more beautiful and desirable a place is to live in, the more dangerous it is to be there when it comes to the effects of water.

The sad thing is because the ones who can afford to live downstream in the nice areas don't want to pay their fair share and gain influence to stop things like dredging, the more it affects people upstream.

I remember a councillor talking to me about cuts like dredging at a council meeting once, he was even more cynical than me.  He said: "Imagine that a council has to make £1m of cuts, what do you cut?  Things that only happen if there's a problem, and there hasn't been one for 20+ years, or things that'll directly affect you getting re-elected next time round?  Easy choice for the vast majority of politicians."

I also remember the days when government ministers used to accept accountability for their decisions.

#79 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,654 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

You must be older than you make out then. :)

#80 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

Some of the storm coverage today from Somerset way is quite scary.  Some very nasty weather and damage caused.

It's getting old now, we've had the very bad weather, can't we just get back to normal conversational weather about how cold/hot/windy/dry/wet/snowy/slushy/humid it is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users