Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A past player - help needed

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gadge13

gadge13
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

I wonder if anyone could help me. My father played for Featherstone Rovers I think during the late 60's. His name id David/Dai Williams. I'm trying to find out how many games he played for the club and which ones they were. I'm looking to put together a surprise Christmas present for him with old programmes, pictures etc so obviously I can't ask him for any information.

Please could anybody help or point in the right direction of somebody who could.

Gareth Williams

#2 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

I wonder if anyone could help me. My father played for Featherstone Rovers I think during the late 60's. His name id David/Dai Williams. I'm trying to find out how many games he played for the club and which ones they were. I'm looking to put together a surprise Christmas present for him with old programmes, pictures etc so obviously I can't ask him for any information.
Please could anybody help or point in the right direction of somebody who could.
Gareth Williams

I cannot find your Dad in the books I have got, Mark Las Palmas is the man to ask
Im Fev and im proud

#3 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

did your dad live at Norton or campsall, and did he play on the wing.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#4 gadge13

gadge13
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Yeah Campsall, still does. And yes he was a winger

#5 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Im on it. Ill pop down to the shed and see what i can dig out. Off the top of my head he played 36 games from 1968 to 1971, but Ill check that.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#6 gadge13

gadge13
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thank you so much

#7 Ricardo Taylor

Ricardo Taylor
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

if its the same player think he played for Toll Bar as well.A gentleman aways talks to us more mature fans of a certain age.

#8 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Did he sign from Doncaster? I seem to remember him as a short, stocky left winger with dark wavy hair? I dislocated my shoulder in 1969 and the collar bone used to stick upwards. Jimmy Williams, the Rovers physio, got me a foam ring wrapped with a bandage around it, which I wore under shoulder pads with the sticking-up bone protected in the hole in the ring. He said that Dave Williams had the same problem and he got the idea from him. Does this ring true with your Dad?

#9 gadge13

gadge13
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yeah that sounds right, he did sign from Doncaster. Not the tallest.
He probably did play for toll bar too

#10 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

i remember him playing for, and coaching, askern

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#11 gadge13

gadge13
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

He coached Askern for donkeys years, all through my childhood, and he went refereeing for a few years aswell

#12 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

his mum (Thelma)? and my mum were good friends

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Here's a team sheet from a Rovers v Leeds A team game from 1969 currenty on ebay (not me selling btw!).

Handy looking Rovers team that.

$(KGrHqF,!lUFJbtEMy0LBSbTWB8u1Q~~60_58.J

#14 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

I can remember him playing, but didn't have any info on him
Im Fev and im proud

#15 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Here's a team sheet from a Rovers v Leeds A team game from 1969 currenty on ebay (not me selling btw!).

Handy looking Rovers team that.

$(KGrHqF,!lUFJbtEMy0LBSbTWB8u1Q~~60_58.J

Unbelievable to think that Ray Handscombe played against Bosh Lyman snr, and with Bosh Lyman Jnr. I remember reading somewhere that Terry and Neil Clawson either played with or against each other, and I remember some years ago Jeff Grayshon playing against his son at POR.

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Gareth, your dad's Feathesrtone debut came away to castleford on Monday 2nd of September 1968. He was a late replacement for David Kellett so he's not listed in the programme. His signing is mentioned in the next home prog against Keighley (when he didn't play). That year he played 15 games and scored 5 tries. in 1969/70 he played 7 games and scored 4 tries. The year after 13 games and 4 tries and his last game was as a sub 7th sept 1971 v Huyton. A total of 36 games and 13 tries. I was hoping he'd have played in the 69 or 70 Yorkshire Cup final when team photos were taken, but not so. I can't find any photos of him playing so far.

#17 Smithy

Smithy
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

I pretty sure Dave Williams played on the wing in a cup match at Doncaster, late 60's? I think we won 4-3 (2 penalty goals to their try) and Dave was upended and pile driven into the ground. His head was at 90 degrees to his body, no penalty given and he got up and played the ball and carried on. Memory may be playing tricks:-)

#18 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

I pretty sure Dave Williams played on the wing in a cup match at Doncaster, late 60's? I think we won 4-3 (2 penalty goals to their try) and Dave was upended and pile driven into the ground. His head was at 90 degrees to his body, no penalty given and he got up and played the ball and carried on. Memory may be playing tricks:-)

Think this was 1968 played on a mud bath :-)

#19 Rodill Rover

Rodill Rover
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Think this was 1968 played on a mud bath :-)

The mud bath was not just on the field, I can remember having to get off the bus to push it out of the mud to get home.

My memory says 1968, the year after the challenge cup final win, loads of Rovers fans went expecting another good cup run but it nearly ended  at Tattersfield with 2 Tommy Smales penalties to an unconverted Mcglone try, Rovers luckily winning 4-3.

#20 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

The mud bath was not just on the field, I can remember having to get off the bus to push it out of the mud to get home.

My memory says 1968, the year after the challenge cup final win, loads of Rovers fans went expecting another good cup run but it nearly ended  at Tattersfield with 2 Tommy Smales penalties to an unconverted Mcglone try, Rovers luckily winning 4-3.

26th of January 1969. Right about the score & scorers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users