TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Sinfield

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

As a long term Leeds fan i have been thinking over the Kev debate and am starting to see that he is the wrong man for the job, super league is a poor comparison for international RL; we wont win unless our halfbacks can take it to the line and ask serious questions.
Is there space for a ponderous player like Sinfield or should we pin our hopes on Chase and Widdop? Super league is slow enough for Sinfield but this looks a step too far, after watching RL for 30 years i only seem to remember beating the Aussies by attacking them from different angles not by entering into the arm wrestle.

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

I don't think anyone has questioned Kevin Sinfield in the England side yet...
Posted Image

#3 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

A few have, but that tends to be people trotting out the same line regardless of the performance or not  (or even if they have not watched the performance).

Sinfield had a good game and if you check the NRL player ratings he got an 8. So hardly seen as a poor performer in a losing side.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#4 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

A few have, but that tends to be people trotting out the same line regardless of the performance or not  (or even if they have not watched the performance).

Sinfield had a good game and if you check the NRL player ratings he got an 8. So hardly seen as a poor performer in a losing side.

He's solid but a match winner at this level?

#5 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

The lad play's to his abilities, sadly in the class of Australian players those credentials are not too high up the scale. Beggar to stats and whatever else, what you see is what you get and as seeing is believing, so they say, then what I have seen fromKS at this level of competition leaves me of the same frame of mind as Iangidds. 

No arguments over Saturdays performance from KS from me, he played his part, again to the best of his ability also, but that though commendable was nothing more than a workmanlike performance and nowhere close to the accolades that some heap on Kevin however he performs.

Not knocking him but, in International Rugby League KS is NOT at all a stand out performer, let alone a superstar, and that's a fact!!

PS; Wellsy, you cant really mean that, can you? I have along with a great many more done exactly that which you are denying has ever occured.

#6 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

PS; Wellsy, you cant really mean that, can you? I have along with a great many more done exactly that which you are denying has ever occured.

Whoooooosh!
Posted Image

#7 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Can't knock Sinfield for effort but he just isn't an international half back. He doesn't have the pace or skill to open up defences & create something out of nothing.

The sad thing is Chase does have these qualities but for whatever reason never displays them. 

McBanana made a huge mistake in selecting Sinfield as captain as he has to then find somewhere to play him. He isn't a half back, he isn't a hooker and he isn't the best LF in the squad

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Can't knock Sinfield for effort but he just isn't an international half back. He doesn't have the pace or skill to open up defences & create something out of nothing.
The sad thing is Chase does have these qualities but for whatever reason never displays them.

McBanana made a huge mistake in selecting Sinfield as captain as he has to then find somewhere to play him. He isn't a half back, he isn't a hooker and he isn't the best LF in the squad

But he's the captain if the most successful team so he must be good!...
Posted Image

#9 Wally123456

Wally123456
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

This is bang on. McNamara should not have made Sinfield captain as he is now playing him in front of better players. For me, Sinfield does not have a place in the England squad.

#10 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

While there are undoubtably better halves that are England qualified (one is playing tonight), I think we disregard Sinfields leadership, organisational and kicking ability at our peril.  I rather him be in the team than not.  I quite liked him at 9 in the Exiles game.

#11 Wally123456

Wally123456
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

While there are undoubtably better halves that are England qualified (one is playing tonight), I think we disregard Sinfields leadership, organisational and kicking ability at our peril.  I rather him be in the team than not.  I quite liked him at 9 in the Exiles game.

If you have him at 9 you leave Roby out. Roby was our best player against Aus!! There are many players in the England side capable of organising and leading the team.

#12 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

This is bang on. McNamara should not have made Sinfield captain as he is now playing him in front of better players. For me, Sinfield does not have a place in the England squad.

Wally that is tantamount to Blasphemy,

Seriously though, it looks as though the consensus of opinion on here regarding KS worth in the team is 30% for and 70% against, whilst I consider that many posters on here may have never been near a ball in anger or had the pleasure of coaching (I am probably going to get lynched for that assumption) we have a perspective and judgement most likely brought about by many years of experience in watching, debating and acquiring a great deal of knowledge of TGG, that is presumably why we post on here.

I know the saying re: committee's and racehorses etc and the buck stops with Steve Mac, but surely the majority can't be wrong ....................................................... Can they?     

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#13 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Wally that is tantamount to Blasphemy,

Seriously though, it looks as though the consensus of opinion on here regarding KS worth in the team is 30% for and 70% against, whilst I consider that many posters on here may have never been near a ball in anger or had the pleasure of coaching (I am probably going to get lynched for that assumption) we have a perspective and judgement most likely brought about by many years of experience in watching, debating and acquiring a great deal of knowledge of TGG, that is presumably why we post on here.

I know the saying re: committee's and racehorses etc and the buck stops with Steve Mac, but surely the majority can't be wrong ....................................................... Can they?

Not sure where you get 70 30 split but... That doesn't mean the majority agree with you at all, at best it means the majority on here agree with you.

5 separate England coaches disagree with you though.

If you think a few fans on a message board are right and 5 England coaches, several club coaches including 3 who've won GFs, many current SL and international players are in the minority and are wrong, then fill your boots.

Edited by christopher, 29 October 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Sinfield is a fine player, its a shame he is not a little bigger to be a Lock or started his career at Hooker.

He has a good all round game but he lacks the pace or spark to worry top Test Nations and keep them in two minds in the position he plays.

The best Halves especially Stand Offs need to be able to run the ball or distribute the ball, the best run the ball and take on the line with pace and feed their outside backs after drawing in a couple of defenders to set up and overlap.

A running  Stand off that takes a team on and keeps them in two minds offers much more in breaking a defensive structure down than a player that distributes the ball without offering a threat of his own, Lockyer as great as he was suffered from this late in his career when his pace over more than 20 metres was gone.

#15 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

For the Irish game I would put Sinfield at 13, start with Widdop and chase and keep them there all game, burrow on the bench to spell MM or Roby.

#16 7723

• Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

For the Irish game I would put Sinfield at 13, start with Widdop and chase and keep them there all game, burrow on the bench to spell MM or Roby.

Where would you play O'Loughlin if fit then. O'Loughlin is imo the best 13 in the country and should not be left out the team to accommodate a lesser player.

#17 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Can O'Loughlin  play second row and take Burgess spot?

Can Sinfield play Second Row?

Edited by boxhead, 29 October 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#18 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Where would you play O'Loughlin if fit then. O'Loughlin is imo the best 13 in the country and should not be left out the team to accommodate a lesser player.

I've heard he's not fit, if he is, I'd stick with Sinfield at 7 and maybe being Widdop in instead of chase.

Sinfield isn't a lesser player he's a different player but I would put OL in front of him at 13

#19 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Can O'Loughlin play second row and take Burgess spot?
Can Sinfield play Second Row?

Sinfield at second row IS madness, if OL is fit leave Sinfield in the halves where he's played for 3 years.

Edited by christopher, 29 October 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#20 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Sinfield at second row IS madness, if OL is fit leave Subfiekd in the halves where he's played for 3 years.

I was just asking, many Locks and Second rowers play a similar game if the are tackling machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users