Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Koukash tweet

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Saying its disgusting how much RL players get paid and the cap should be raised!
Here here I say

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Saying its disgusting how much RL players get paid and the cap should be raised!
Here here I say

Be careful what you wish for. We (fans) will end up paying when the likes of Koukash walk away.

Never really understood why rl fans want players to get pay rises.

#3 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

Maybe he can expand and explain HOW he is proposing to fund this capitalisation of our game?

#4 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

Because he will end the 'sport on the cheap tag we have', too many clubs are too comfortable doing little to nothing,

#5 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

Be careful what you wish for. We (fans) will end up paying when the likes of Koukash walk away.

To secure the best talent? To raise the level of the competition? To encourage more sponsorship into the game?

#6 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Because he will end the 'sport on the cheap tag we have', too many clubs are too comfortable doing little to nothing,

And still getting a large wad of dosh. For far to long we have rewarded mediocracy

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Maybe he can expand and explain HOW he is proposing to fund this capitalisation of our game?

It probably involves creating a mediocre middle tier through a farcical mid-season juggle.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

The game needs to encourage these types of guys into Rl and by creating stronger comps with higher profiles it benefits everyone, we had Richard Branson in this game not so long ago; we cant afford to let people like that to walk away from our game

#9 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

If players were to be paid more I'd rather it be based on money generated by the game than rich owners artificially raising the player's salaries through their own bank balance. That way if/when they move on clubs are not crippled with wages they can not afford.

Edited by PREPOSTEROUS, 29 October 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#10 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

There is a simple answer; if wants to pay his players more get more bodies through the turnstiles. That however is easier said than done. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#11 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Let clubs spend what they want with the caveat that they do not post a loss and shortfalls are not covered by loans ie Salford spend £4m but lose £2m so the Dr buys £2m shares
That sort of spend allows you to hit RU outside backs and the NRL elite

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Here here I say

I think it's disgusting how much pro sportsmen get paid to play a sport they enjoy playing personally. The salary cap is a great way to stop the madness.
Posted Image

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Let clubs spend what they want with the caveat that they do not post a loss and shortfalls are not covered by loans ie Salford spend £4m but lose £2m so the Dr buys £2m shares
That sort of spend allows you to hit RU outside backs and the NRL elite

Loans are no good, they can be called in. 

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#14 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

look at portsmouth fc to see what happens when a rich owner moves on.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#15 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think it's disgusting how much pro sportsmen get paid to play a sport they enjoy playing personally. The salary cap is a great way to stop the madness.

Its their job, they may enjoy it yes but we are talking about RL here not football or golf. To compete in a tough sporting market you have to have a bit more constructive approach than yours.

Edited by iangidds, 29 October 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#16 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I do think the salary cap should be larger and that maybe a few tweaks like a)home grown academy players allowance up to a maximum amount added to the Cap and b)a one or at most a two player "elite British player" allowance with obvious criteria over-viewed by an RFL appointed body. 

Edited by redjonn, 29 October 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

There will be a point where more money is thrown at average players.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Maybe to stop the player drain to the NRL, and reverse the flow back to Europe?

Maybe so that Chairmen (or Women) with spare dosh can increase the player potential, and fan base of their club, rather than relying on a fan based income to pay players wages, preventing the top supported clubs being the closed circle they currently are, and giving the lower table/supported clubs a chance.

I know this might stick in the throats of certain supporters, but you don't have a God given right to rule the RFL for ever.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#19 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Exactly, where there is more money in RL let it be spent on academies and structure and perhaps a top marquee player or 2, but don't just let salaries rise for the sake of it.
I've heard of some really low min wage level salaries for those in academies/u21's so a decent increase for them wouldn't break the bank nor cause general salasries to rise.
When all of RL benefits from more money into its coffers (and not just from a single rich benefactor) then general salaries can rise and the sport can look at attaracting a wider range of talent - e.g maybe a few union backs and back row forwards

#20 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want them to have a pay rise.

£1.65m salary cap equalling an average of £66,000 per year.  That really isn't a lot when you consider that professional players have a typical career of 10 years and many will be on way less than that £66,000 a year average to cope with the top-end players getting near or above the six figure salary point.  A massively physical sport where your career can be ended in a second through a genuinely accidental collision or leave you a physical wreck after your career ends.  There are only so many coaching or commentating jobs around for ex-players and clubs aren't as tolerant as they'd like people to believe on allowing players to do non-rugby stuff to help them move into other careers after their rugby one finishes.

My view is that you'd have to almost double the salary cap to adequately reward players for the level of commitment, both physical and mental, that they have to put into going out on the professional playing field every week in a career that's noticeably shorter and more physically punishing than other team sports.

I know we don't have the money to do that and are unlikely to do that as a sport anytime soon.

As an aside, this is one of the points that just baffles me about why a player would go out to deliberately injure another player.  It's not as if someone with a wrecked career is going to get massive payouts or have a massive cash-pile to fall back on.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway