• 1,678 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Phil Clarke?

I was hoping for Eric Cantonia

#42 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

With a rose bush if you keep cutting of the buds before they flower the roots and stem grow stronger, because energy is not "wasted" in the flowers, however the reason we plant and nurture the rose bush is to enjoy the flowers.

Personally I enjoy a balanced competition where the underdog has at least a small chance of winning rather than one where the big teams always win by large margins when playing the minnows.

I don't think I'm alone as Wigan have higher attendances today than when they were a trophy winning machine. Higher attendances mean more £££s that could go on buying and retaining talent.

Edited by Northern Sol, 30 October 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#43 Nimrods Son

Nimrods Son
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Personally I enjoy a balanced competition where the underdog has at least a small chance of winning rather than one where the big teams always win by large margins when playing the minnows.I don't think I'm alone as Wigan have higher attendances today than when they were a trophy winning machine. Higher attendances mean more £££s that could go on buying and retaining talent.

What he said.......spot on Sol

#44 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

But aren't attendances dropping now because players are leaving and standards are dropping?

Attendances are dropping in every sport.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#45 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Attendances are dropping in every sport.

In Super League it has just been the last couple of years before that we were toasting record crowd figures.

#46 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

If the bloke wants to sign nrl stars let him.

#47 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Re: krill koulimne I'm sure I remember seeing him play for a Russian side in the challenge cup years ago against siddal, monster of a man, always hoped he'd be picked up by a championship or sl side. Pity he's wandering through ru now.

Edited by Fax1978, 30 October 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,453 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want them to have a pay rise.

£1.65m salary cap equalling an average of £66,000 per year.  That really isn't a lot when you consider that professional players have a typical career of 10 years and many will be on way less than that £66,000 a year average to cope with the top-end players getting near or above the six figure salary point.  A massively physical sport where your career can be ended in a second through a genuinely accidental collision or leave you a physical wreck after your career ends.  There are only so many coaching or commentating jobs around for ex-players and clubs aren't as tolerant as they'd like people to believe on allowing players to do non-rugby stuff to help them move into other careers after their rugby one finishes.

My view is that you'd have to almost double the salary cap to adequately reward players for the level of commitment, both physical and mental, that they have to put into going out on the professional playing field every week in a career that's noticeably shorter and more physically punishing than other team sports.

I know we don't have the money to do that and are unlikely to do that as a sport anytime soon.

As an aside, this is one of the points that just baffles me about why a player would go out to deliberately injure another player.  It's not as if someone with a wrecked career is going to get massive payouts or have a massive cash-pile to fall back on.

Let them and their unions argue about their wages, nobody champions me getting paid more in my job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users