Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Slammin Sam Burgess

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 The Dude

The Dude
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Why cant we have this quality of features on the BBC?  This is the kind of feature that gets someone into the sporting consciousness of a nation, where this lad should be. 

http://www.youtube.c...JKDtw2Ag&sns=tw

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Why cant we have this quality of features on the BBC?  This is the kind of feature that gets someone into the sporting consciousness of a nation, where this lad should be. 

http://www.youtube.c...JKDtw2Ag&sns=tw

He is a great player, his name is starting to suffer down under though.

"Boot 'thug' Sam Burgess out of the Rugby League World Cup, writes Phil Rothfield

Read more: http://www.dailytele...1#ixzz2j6t72g9l

Media finally turns on Sam Burgess following World Cup cheap shot on Sam Thaiday

Read more: http://www.dailytele...4#ixzz2j6tHbXPV

I know many will say that those threads are Aussie anti Pommie rants but the Burgii have had a dream run with the media in Australia and Sam Burgess foul play this year has been noted and it will not go down well with many.

Edited by boxhead, 29 October 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#3 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

This would be the same Thaiday who has a reputation for being the third man in in fights...

http://www.dailytele...9-1226063301778

Nothing to see here, except some whinging Aussie journos. Not defending Burgess on the shot but it was nothing compared to the like of Edwards or even Morleys sendings off.

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

"Boot 'thug' Sam Burgess out of the Rugby League World Cup, writes Phil Rothfield

Media finally turns on Sam Burgess following World Cup cheap shot on Sam Thaiday

I know many will say that those threads are Aussie anti Pommie rants but the Burgii have had a dream run with the media in Australia and Sam Burgess foul play this year has been noted and it will not go down well with many.

How it should be tbh - he made a bad high tackle against your national team, the media should be bagging him!

#5 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

How it should be tbh - he made a bad high tackle against your national team, the media should be bagging him!

I dont know what that means, sorry.

#6 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Bagging - slagging him off.

#7 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

This would be the same Thaiday who has a reputation for being the third man in in fights...

http://www.dailytele...9-1226063301778

Nothing to see here, except some whinging Aussie journos. Not defending Burgess on the shot but it was nothing compared to the like of Edwards or even Morleys sendings off.

I did not write the article, but I would rather a third man in ( something that gets heavily penalised in the NRL) than have my crown jewels ripped around or have my eyes gouged.

What would you prefer?

What has Thaidays reputation have to do with being flattened with a blatant head high shot anyway?

#8 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Again, I'm not defending his actions on those counts, but the Aussie media aren't going to bag their own players during a World Cup campaign, they'd much rather target England's biggest name, hoping to wind him up.

Thaidays reputation is relevant because whilst they are bagging Burgess, they conveniently forget to leave out Thaidays less than honourable reputation at times -as I said its just a wind up from whinging Aussie journos.

Edited by Pen-Y-Bont Crusader, 29 October 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#9 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Aussies complaining about dirty players, oh the irony.

#10 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Aussies complaining about dirty players, oh the irony.

That's what I was thinking, they're never very vocal when their own players hit high shots or worse for Aus against anyone else

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

That's what I was thinking, they're never very vocal when their own players hit high shots or worse for Aus against anyone else

Whats that Tony Willams three years ago and Willie Mason a life time ago?

Every team has players that either accidentally or not do high shots.

Gouging and testicle grabs are hardly accidental are they?

Edited by boxhead, 29 October 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#12 The Dude

The Dude
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

I posted a link to this documentary because it has a depth to it, and quality,  that is generally lacking in programmes we get in England.  It is too good to miss for League fans. 

Not too bothered about getting into an argument about his judiciary history. 

The League players in this country do not have the wider status with the general public that their skill/efforts deserve.  This is the kind of documentary that our players should be getting.  You Australians maybe are used to this kind of programme that actually provides the audience with something more than the basic -he's good at rugby but comes from Yorkshire, in this country we are not used to this quality of documentary.  RLWC2013 is certainly producing some good coverage that will boost the standing of some of our stars but not seen anything as good as this documentary. 

Watch it when you have a spare 45 mins.

#13 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

I posted a link to this documentary because it has a depth to it, and quality,  that is generally lacking in programmes we get in England.  It is too good to miss for League fans. 

Not too bothered about getting into an argument about his judiciary history. 

The League players in this country do not have the wider status with the general public that their skill/efforts deserve.  This is the kind of documentary that our players should be getting.  You Australians maybe are used to this kind of programme that actually provides the audience with something more than the basic -he's good at rugby but comes from Yorkshire, in this country we are not used to this quality of documentary.  RLWC2013 is certainly producing some good coverage that will boost the standing of some of our stars but not seen anything as good as this documentary. 

Fair enough Dude.

Sorry I derailed your thread.

#14 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

The Aussies go on about how dirty he is, but he wasn't that dirty when he left our game! They've turned him...

#15 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Greg Bird however is a paragon of virtue

#16 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Engaging and enlightening documentary about a superb human being and a stellar Rugby League player.

By the time he's done he'll be remembered in both hemispheres as one of the greatest ever, as for Boxheads comments, there hasn't been a great of the game that didn't have a ruthless streak.

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. It's no different when in the soccer world cup and someone a foriegn player who plies their trade in the premier league fouls an England player and gets away with it and it seems like they may be public enemy no.1. Come the domestic season next year and the press loves them again - Ronaldo during his Man United era comes to mind

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#18 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Not enough on the bbc this WC full stop

#19 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

The Aussies go on about how dirty he is, but he wasn't that dirty when he left our game! They've turned him...

According to the man himself he was. In an interview he said the difference is most SL games don't have multiple cameras and replays to catch you out :D

#20 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

that documentary is fantastic.  i couldn't stop watching it.  Inspirational.  Was going to post a link on here, but delighted to see you have already got it up.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users