Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Remembrance Day Poppy

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Futtocks just might have one coat!  :tongue:

As does Gloss Exile.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

Related is my disdain for celebrating 100 years since the start of World War one rather than celebrating the end of it.

Agree 100% with this.

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

But only one has a buttonhole and I don't like all the faffing around with pins.

The pins are never wide enough to hold the poppy straight. I use an enamel Wales badge to hold mine on.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

for the last couple of years I've sought out one of them wrist band things. Means I can contribute, as a former member of the RBL I really want to do, without having to worry about the actual poppy bit. Job done.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#25 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Who is celebrating the start of the First World War?

If you can commemorate the end of the war then I don't see why you can't commemorate (not celebrate) the beginning.

#26 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Who is celebrating the start of the First World War?

If you can commemorate the end of the war then I don't see why you can't commemorate (not celebrate) the beginning.

Agreed. Although it may have been more appropriate and sensitive to commemorate the 100th year anniversary of the end.

Whatever we do we should never let WWI be forgotten. The ultimate example of the futility, stupidity and wastefulness of war.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#27 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

for the last couple of years I've sought out one of them wrist band things. Means I can contribute, as a former member of the RBL I really want to do, without having to worry about the actual poppy bit. Job done.

This is what I don't get about charity in general.  Why not just contribute, why do you have to get a symbol to wear?

#28 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

the BBC do go over the top in "forcing" people to wear the poppy - it should be choice

though i would love to see some one on question time refuse then pull the other panelists if they had paid ?

personally, I put whatever the cost of a pint is into the box (buy me old man a pint if i could) but then agree with others the pin is rubbish/wrong coat etc...

I end up leaving it in my pocket and if ever asked produce it - you know yourself and that is what matters

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

I wear my poppy badge with pride,having friends and family who serve and have served in our armed forces,it's the least i can do to show my respect for them and those that went before them.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,529 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Futtocks just might have one coat!  :tongue:

as did Paley sometime of this parish

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#31 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

I buy one, lose it almost straight after and don't by another.

I observe the silence, I think that has far more meaning than some plastic emblem that people are shamed into wearing.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

Noticed the Poppy has become fashion.  Knitted poppies, metal poppies, poppies made in a boden way by your kids ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,858 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

An alternative view.

http://www.independe...ed-8927751.html

#34 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,025 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

All wrapped up with the need to celebrate the military and switch off rational thought.

I buy a red one and a white one every year.  And wear neither.

I buy a red one and never wear it. I'm not much of a militarist, but my father served in WWII, and he and his mates either gave their lives, or gave what should have been the best years of their lives to keep us free and I believe that is worthy of some sort of remembrance, so I buy a poppy.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,127 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

I buy a poppy and wear it if I come across someone selling them and I happen to have cash in my pocket at the time. Some years, neither happens.

Trouble is, due to the design of my coat collar, the poppy usually ends up looking pretty scruffy after quite a short time.

This year, for the first time, I went for the enamelled pin-badge instead. Much better.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

An alternative view.

http://www.independe...ed-8927751.html

For me, that's just another black/white argument that's just as daft as those who get all upset at those who don't wear poppies.  If you were to stop everyone in a high street today and ask them why they are or aren't wearing a poppy then you'd probably get hundreds of different answers, each one is probably entirely valid.  Some will have massive prejudices attached to their opinions, some will be remembering the war dead, some will be remembering all military and non-military casualties of war, some will be remembering why war should always be the last resort, some will have absurd fantasies about the romanticism of the trenches, some will refuse as it glorifies war, some will refuse as they couldn't care less either way.

I know why I buy a poppy and it's nowt to do with the tripe I get from both those who insist I wear one and those who tell me I shouldn't.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#37 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,025 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

For me, that's just another black/white argument that's just as daft as those who get all upset at those who don't wear poppies.  If you were to stop everyone in a high street today and ask them why they are or aren't wearing a poppy then you'd probably get hundreds of different answers, each one is probably entirely valid.  Some will have massive prejudices attached to their opinions, some will be remembering the war dead, some will be remembering all military and non-military casualties of war, some will be remembering why war should always be the last resort, some will have absurd fantasies about the romanticism of the trenches, some will refuse as it glorifies war, some will refuse as they couldn't care less either way.

I know why I buy a poppy and it's nowt to do with the tripe I get from both those who insist I wear one and those who tell me I shouldn't.

Well as I say I don't usually wear mine, I bought it and put it in my pocket, where it fell apart. So I couldn't wear it even if I wanted to!
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#38 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Well as I say I don't usually wear mine, I bought it and put it in my pocket, where it fell apart. So I couldn't wear it even if I wanted to!

I was in London yesterday, I left my poppy on the dining room table.  I had genuinely intended to wear the thing but simply forgot in the rush to get out the door at 6am.  Every tube station had at least 4-5 squaddies standing selling the things and the bigger stations had many more, most didn't bat an eyelid at me walking past without one on but I got a few stares from some in civvies when I ignored their bucket rattling.  I refuse to buy a second just because some people try to guilt me into it.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#39 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

I was in London yesterday, I left my poppy on the dining room table.  I had genuinely intended to wear the thing but simply forgot in the rush to get out the door at 6am.  Every tube station had at least 4-5 squaddies standing selling the things and the bigger stations had many more, most didn't bat an eyelid at me walking past without one on but I got a few stares from some in civvies when I ignored their bucket rattling.  I refuse to buy a second just because some people try to guilt me into it.

I was on a flight from Amsterdam to Birmginham yesterday, as I've been in Europe this week, touring with my band. All the staff on the plane had poppies on, some were the more garish metal variety too.  Many people on the plane were British and had them on as well, I'd say a good 40%+ had them on.  What was noticeable was that of the 30 or 40 Celtic football fans making their way back to Ireland/Scotland/England via this flight that not one of them had one on.

#40 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Have the football shirts got a poppy on them this year , because some of the players refused last year or the year before............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users