Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Remembrance Day Poppy

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

I wear one, I enjoy wearing one and I like to think it shows that I'm thinking of those that gave their lives to protecting our nation. I also believe that it shows my support of our troops today - whether that's right or wrong I don't really care - that's my personal view on it.

I end up buying about 10 each year, I keep losing them or going out without, I choose to wear it and am happy to do so.

Strangely enough when I was in the army I took a great delight in keeping the same one as long as possible, I'm pretty sure I kept one going for at least 4 years

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#82 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

I end up buying about 10 each year, I keep losing them or going out without, I choose to wear it and am happy to do so.

Strangely enough when I was in the army I took a great delight in keeping the same one as long as possible, I'm pretty sure I kept one going for at least 4 years

Try getting a poppy badge,that's what I got for the kids to put on their school blazers.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#83 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

The badges are more practical but less poignant. I've had a Bradford Northern/Bulls Centenary badge on a work coat for years, and I only ever notice that it's there when I meet someone who comments on it.

Maybe, at a basic level, a paper poppy reminds us that a life can be fragile and easily lost.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#84 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

I went up The Malverns today. It was littered with Haig fund poppies at the top, I think Wolford6 has a point about fragility.

#85 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

The badges are more practical but less poignant. I've had a Bradford Northern/Bulls Centenary badge on a work coat for years, and I only ever notice that it's there when I meet someone who comments on it.

Maybe, at a basic level, a paper poppy reminds us that a life can be fragile and easily lost.

Just talking practicalities,I see your point about paper poppies though.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#86 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

I came across this article last year. Written by the Chief Executive of PoppyScotland it explores the issues surrounding the wearing of the poppy.

Two Sides to the Poppy
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#87 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

There seems to have been a real push on the marketing this year, wall-to-wall.

I bought one but lost the pin. People don't wear them here so there's no real pressure.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#88 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

There seems to have been a real push on the marketing this year, wall-to-wall.

I bought one but lost the pin. People don't wear them here so there's no real pressure.

They do have a bank holiday though.  

#89 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

They do have a bank holiday though.  

I know, I was there.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#90 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

I know, I was there.

You're in Chorley.  We all know it.

#91 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

This Telegraph rant perfectly illustrates the issues raised in this thread.

Google criticised for 'demeaning' tribute to Britain's war dead

Google's crime? they commemmorated today with a single poppy rather than with something 'spectacular'.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#92 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,841 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

This Telegraph rant perfectly illustrates the issues raised in this thread.

Google criticised for 'demeaning' tribute to Britain's war dead

Google's crime? they commemmorated today with a single poppy rather than with something 'spectacular'.

It wouldn't be right if there wasn't someone for them to be angry with. I suppose it's better Google than a picture of a random person forgetting the time and not standing perfectly still to attention at 11am today.

If they have to be angry at anyone, why not pick whoever thinks singing hymns during the 2 minute silence at the National Memorial Arboretum is appropriate.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#93 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

This is where poppy fascism gets you: ITV news reader Charlene White defends decision not to wear poppy on air after racist abuse

Some of the comments below the article are charming. Not.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#94 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

This is where poppy fascism gets you: ITV news reader Charlene White defends decision not to wear poppy on air after racist abuse

Some of the comments below the article are charming. Not.

What a professional outlook when it comes the representation of charities in the media.  Pleasantly surprised that somebody in the public eye took this stance.  The comments flaming her are disgraceful.

#95 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

How not to do it

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users