Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bulls sign Frank Winterstein

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Initial 1yr deal from Widnes.

Happy with that.  A big unit with skills to play on the edge or at centre.

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Initial 1yr deal from Widnes.

Happy with that.  A big unit with skills to play on the edge or at centre.

This is a terrible signing.  Well done Widnes.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#3 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

This is a terrible signing.  Well done Widnes.

How come like?

#4 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Can't say I'm too fussed, on one hand he's not exactly been devastating but then he's put in a few decent shifts and occasionally looked good

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

frank could be a superb player if he just bent his back once in a while and did some graft, for a man of his size he is actually quite ineffective, had some good games for widnes but they were few and far between.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

I was hoping we would sign the (Samoan) full back myself..

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Underwhelmed, but more than willing to change my mind.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

When this rumoured kicked up on RLFans weeks ago I was so annoyed I jokingly threatened to punch the poster in the face who brought it to the table!

I couldn't see any rhyme or reason in it. And now I'm accepting of the idea, he's purely back-up, but still I can't help think he has a lot to do to make me come round to this signing as it shunts another young lad down the pecking order.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Add in last weeks signing of Adam Henry who could be anything; but I fear he's another Anthony Gelling or Willie Isa.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

We desperately need at least one centre.

It might be World Cup fever, but I'd love us to get Rhys Williams, who is a free agent.

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

We desperately need at least one centre.

It might be World Cup fever, but I'd love us to get Rhys Williams, who is a free agent.

I think he's a winger and a pretty rubbish one by all accounts too.

I'd give somebody elses right arm for us to sign Jean Philippe-Baile. He's out of contract from what I read online (the mega-thread on RLFans).

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Nothing against Bradford whatsoever, but this is a poor, poor signing. I've never seen him do anything of note. Just the sort of mediocre overseas journeyman that genuinely IS holding a young British player back by being over here.

Posted Image

#13 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

Rhys also plays centre and has averaged a try every two games throughout his career.

He's only 23, a powerful runner and a pretty good tackler. I think he'd be a better centre because, from what I've seen, his main weakness seems to be getting outjumped at high kicks. He's always played well when I've seen him.

Edited by Wolford6, 29 October 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#14 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Add in last weeks signing of Adam Henry who could be anything; but I fear he's another Anthony Gelling or Willie Isa.

why not have the first willie isa instead...................PLEASE!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#15 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

He's got huge potential but lacks the motivation and heart when the tough gets going.

#16 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

He's got huge potential but lacks the motivation and heart when the tough gets going.

When this rumoured kicked up on RLFans weeks ago I was so annoyed I jokingly threatened to punch the poster in the face who brought it to the table!

I couldn't see any rhyme or reason in it. And now I'm accepting of the idea, he's purely back-up, but still I can't help think he has a lot to do to make me come round to this signing as it shunts another young lad down the pecking order.

Maybe he's not had the benefit of being at a club like Bradford before, and that'll bring out the best in him.  Anyhoo, it's a 12mth deal so nothing lost if he turns out to be a lazy so and so.  However, I think that we have found out the hard way that a small squad just can't cope.

We've had problems for a number of years in the centres.  As it looks today we'll have Adam Henry and Frank Winterstein probably playing inside Foster and one of Kear/George/Purtell.  Both big skillful players that I for one am looking forward to seeing in the RAB.  I'd still like to see another strike centre added (Winterstein/Blyth/Walker are all dual centre second row and Sam Wood is still emerging), Kirk Yeaman was mentioned but I don't know how likely that is, but reasonably happy with how the backline is shaping up.  One thing's for sure, we're not going to be lacking in size out wide.

Edited by Konkrete, 30 October 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

We are still due another player, who was to be announced when the RFL ratified the ownership change.

They got it ratified last week ....

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

don't expect too much of frank, he is a great under achiever who could be a superb player if he had the inclination...plays his best rugby with magraff leuleuai and willie isa, perhaps the bulls should sign them as well.................PLEASE!!!

Edited by Viking Warrior, 30 October 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#19 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Frank Winterstein probably playing inside Foster...........(Winterstein/Blyth/Walker are all dual centre second row

I'd be surprised if he plays much for you at centre, he didn't at Widnes anyway

#20 Draculas tea bag

Draculas tea bag
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Decent signing I reckon.Used properly and played to his strengths he can be a powerful wide player running at a retreating defence.Just needs a coach to persevere with him and get the best from him..Not an 80 minute forward but an ideal interchange player.Scores plenty of tries too.