TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

01/11/13: World Cup Match 8 - France v New Zealand

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. France by 13 points or more (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

2. France by 7 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. France by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. New Zealand by 1 to 6 points (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

6. New Zealand by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

7. New Zealand by 13 points or more (15 votes [51.72%])

Percentage of vote: 51.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Discuss World Cup Match 8 - France v New Zealand here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

If France play like they did against PNG then the Kiwis will smash them.  I was in Southern France last week, touring with my band, and it was 23ªC which will be something of a contrast to the conditions at Craven Park and Warrington.

Agar has throughout his time at Wakefield, produced sides that fought hard under adversity, so if they can keep it scoreless for the first quarter then I suspect the French could pose more of a challenge than their display at the weekend suggests.

I think the Kiwis will win by 20+, but I won't be betting on this game.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#3 dunno much

dunno much
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Whats the name of your band Larry?

#4 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

What happened to the days when France would trouble NZ and their fiery blokes would upset the likes of Gary Freeman ( I seem to remember a test where Freeman and a Frenchman were punhing each other every ten minutes or so ) .

The French would get thrashed by GBR then come down to NZ and push the Kiwis for a draw or a narrow win.

Shame they don't have that ability anymore......they weren't particularly skilled , they used to just get under the Kiwis Skin.

That might be there only hope in this game , frustrate the Kiwis , pester , hounder , disrupt.

The Kiwi team should see the changes rung.

Tuivasa Sheck has played his way into the test arena you would think.

Alex Glen hasn't been given a run yet , surely he will feature in this game. The kiwis are likely nursing Bruises after the Samoan War , Greg Eastwood , Ben Matulino likely to get a run too , Hoffman took some damage out of the backs , perhaps we'll see a NZ Warriors Spine bar Luke at Hooker ......Kevin Locke in to rest Hoffan , Thomas Leuluai , Shaun Johnson.

If it were my call , I'd keep Foran out against PNG , not France......PNG hit hard.

Edited by mt smart, 30 October 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#5 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

What happened to the days when France would trouble NZ and their fiery blokes would upset the likes of Gary Freeman ( I seem to remember a test where Freeman and a Frenchman were punhing each other every ten minutes or so ) .

Didn't everyone try and punch Gary Freeman?

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#6 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

French team training at Parc des Sports this morning. Were delayed in London Monday after flight cancelled because of the weather.Agar talking about may be giving others a run out Friday, Bentley brothers - Khattabi & Gigot on home soil possibily. Is the points difference against NZ a big issue viz-viz PNG/Samoa.Tricolores know going into the Perpignan game they're likely to be playing for 2nd place. They have a ten day turn round after Friday. Last game of the opening phase and will know exactly what is required.It looks like boys against men on the surface. Will the crowds in Avignon and Perpignan be their 14th man and inspiration. Huge challenge for Tricolores and a possible place in destiny for them.
BX0fWOMIUAAkCvw_zpsb5abe081.jpg

Edited by audois, 30 October 2013 - 01:47 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Steve Hampson didn't! B) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

$BW out of the game v France according to Fox News. Apparently he's got a busted ego.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Got a ticket for this one - can't wait.  TGV down on friday morning.  Will be my third game of the tournament - not bad for somebody based in luxembourg.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#10 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

Many still would like too, they are forced to substitue with throwing their TV remote at the screen. 

#11 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

http://www.nzrl.co.n...ance-named.aspx

Kiwis team to play France named
Thursday, October 31, 2013

jason-n.jpg
Jason Nightingale dives in to score in Kiwis warm up game v Cook Islands

By the end of the Kiwis second match at the Rugby League World Cup, 23 of the 24-man squad will have had a game. Thomas Leuluai is still struggling with a groin complaint and won't be risked on Friday night (Saturday morning NZ-time) against France. But the remainder of the squad who didn't play in the 42-24 win over Samoa in Warrington will run out onto Parc de Sports in Avignon.
"The idea right from the start of the tournament was to give everyone an opportunity to stake a claim for a position," said Kearney. "That hasn't changed because of the performance against Samoa on Sunday."

Jason Nightingale and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will start on the wings. "Manu Vatuvei picked up a knock to the knee and ankle on Sunday night," said Kearney. "He mightn't be able to train fully this week, but it was always my intention to give Jason a run. Roger had a good game against Samoa and it'll be good for him to have another match this weekend."

The Kiwi centres will be Bryson Goodwin and Krisnan Inu. "Kris didn't play last week so I was always going to roll him out," said Kearney. Goodwin had a tough day in the office against Samoa, which Kearney acknowledges. "I wanted to give him the opportunity to try and fix that."

Sonny Bill Williams, who picked up a couple of bumps and bruises against Samoa, will sit this match out. "He would've been right to play on Friday," said Kearney "but I wanted to give Alex Glenn an opportunity and also get some more time into Frank Pritchard."

The Kiwis vs France match kicks off at 8pm Friday, November 1 (France-time), at Parc de Sports, Avignon. The match will be shown live on SKY Sports in NZ on Saturday morning (8am KO NZ-time).

1. Kevin Locke
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Bryson Goodwin
4. Krisnan Inu
5. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
6. Kieran Foran
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Ben Matulino
9. Issac Luke
10. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Alex Glenn
13. Simon Mannering

14. Elijah Taylor
15. Sam Kasiano
16. Frank-Paul Nu’uausala
17. Greg Eastwood
18. Jesse Bromwich
19. Josh Hoffman.

Tommy Leuiluai out still injured.

Edited by mt smart, 30 October 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#12 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Think the French have a good chance here to certainly run the kiwis close, should be another great game to add to the big sell out crowd
Come on France

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

The French on home soil infront of a sell out crowd and buoyed up from their victory against png should give the kiwis minus $BW and Vatuvei a decent run for their money, a French win would be massive not only for the RLWC but for the French game. I can remember the French giving the kiwis an almighty scare during a one off match during the tri-nations in 05' I think, no reason why they can't go one better this time around.

#14 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Have to say the NZ squad is just full of quality the 'replacement' players look really good and the squad looks to have more depth then the Aussie's.

Hope the French turn up and show a bit of mongrel in front of their fans this could be another really great game depending on their attitude come on the French!!

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,522 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

$BW out of the game v France according to Fox News. Apparently he's got a busted ego.

To be fair to him, he seems to have taken it well.

#16 Lews therin

Lews therin
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

Did anyone else notice that the NRL website preview of this game picked the French to get the upset. Must be a very optimistic writer. The tournament has been great so far, if France or any other team can pull of a major upset it would be incredible. Allez les bleus!

#17 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

The Kiwis should do this comfortably.

#18 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Did anyone else notice that the NRL website preview of this game picked the French to get the upset. Must be a very optimistic writer. The tournament has been great so far, if France or any other team can pull of a major upset it would be incredible. Allez les bleus!

I saw that.

Purely speculative of course.

Shaun Johnson was on local radio talking about how the Kiwis are adopting the Sydney City Roosters NRL defensive system ( best in comp ) in view of the number of Roosters that are key to the team you would think it's a good way to go.

That also gives all of the Roosters the inside running over their compatriots  for the final squad if winning grand final form wasn't enough already. 

The more Roosteres they use . the more naturalised to the defensive model players. They are also able to assist others the team.

Heriein lies a good opportunity for France to exploit. This Kiwi line up by virtue of a rotation of players policy has less Roosters , more NZ Warriors , who are not familiar with the Defesive model.

This team also has the most of their least fit players ( Those that didn't feature in the finals ). However thats evened out by the French top heavy with Catalan players squad.

I'm prleaed all of the Bulldogs get a run together , they need match fitness and gel Well together. It should be really interesting , I'm sure the French would have looked at Kevin Locke as a weakness after the Cook Island Game.

Ben Matulinos last chance to fire , other notable selections include Eliah Taylor making every squad , Roger Tuivasa Sheck playing in his favored Wing spot , Inu needs a massive game , Goodwin gets a secound life after poor Samoan Game , just goes to show how desperate NZ are to find Center options....apart from Whare who has won his Jumper and rest.

Edited by mt smart, 31 October 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#19 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

I was really impressed with the French side's defence, aggression and desire against PNG; something we haven't seen from them in a long time. However, I can't see them beating NZ unfortunately.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#20 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

Weve been spoilt with the quality of this tournament so far. Law of averages says this wont be a great game but I hope it is. Ill be cheering the French on but they were poor against PNG and I can see this being 40+ for the kiwis which would be a shame particularly if there is a big crowd. Come on France get some mongrel in yer and gerrin to em!!

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users