Photo
- - - - -

02/11/13: World Cup Match 10 - Australia v Fiji

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (20 votes [74.07%])

Percentage of vote: 74.07%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Fiji by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

6. Fiji by 7 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Fiji by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

You're making a big fuss about this because he's a player for Australia.  Did you know that one of the Tongan team broke his leg while playing last week?

Did he hit a hoarding?

#182 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Did he hit a hoarding?

No idea. But I don't hear you making such a fuss about the broken leg.

It was an accident.  There would be no case for Saints to answer.  Let it go.

#183 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

The Stadium is owned by someone and a player plying his trade was injured in what turns out to be not a safe work place.

Unless you are a Lawyer I suggest someone has a case to answer.

Tim Sheens view.

Sheens frustrated by circumstances of Lewis injury

Australia coach Tim Sheens was clearly frustrated with the circumstances leading to the injury and is hoping he is allowed to fly in a replacement.

"I've asked management to require (a replacement)," he told Grandstand.

"I understand the way the fields are set up here, but it's very unfortunate that these fences are held up by steel beams and not collapsible.

"When you dive in conditions like that you can't pull up.

"Anyway I'll let the officials take care of that and see where we go."

Sheens told Grandstand he was "very disappointed" in the injury to Lewis that will most likely end his participation in the tournament.

"Tonight he was having a great game starting in the second row rather than coming off the bench," he said.

"(It was) an enthusiastic chase ... but unfortunately he ran into an immovable object and dislocated the shoulder."

Edited by boxhead, 03 November 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#184 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

If a player lands badly during the course of a game and breaks his leg what do you want me to say?

That is an accident playing the game.

Hitting a metal hoarding that is constructed out of unsuitable materials or is too close to the pitch is something else.

Do you not see the difference?

OK its time to move on but this sort of stuff should not happen, it will have left many fans particularly Australian fans feeling its amateur hour at the English grounds.

Edited by boxhead, 03 November 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#185 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Very unfortunate accident . Lewis to me has been one of the worlds best players , a modern day player with everything who could play virtually anywhere . Jack Reed was another similar accident at Brisbane . In a high speed , intense collision sport with players going full pelt these things happen , especially in poor conditions , but thankfully rarely . Get well for the seasons start .

Edited by DavidM, 03 November 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#186 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Very unfortunate accident . Lewis to me has been one of the worlds best players , a modern day player with everything who could play virtually anywhere . Jack Reed was another similar accident at Brisbane . In a high speed , intense collision sport with players going full pelt these things happen , especially in poor conditions , but thankfully rarely . Get well for the seasons start .

Good post David.

I was never a fan of Lewis early in his career and he seemed to have everyone bigging him up.

The more I have watched him the more I have realised what a fierce competitor he is.

As you say he moved from the backs to the Forwards but when he has been called on at Test level through injury he has moved back into the backline and easily outplayed his opposite number.

The WC will be poorer for his omission if his injury is as bad as expected.

Edited by boxhead, 03 November 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#187 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

When was the last time a Test player was ruled out of a World Cup from hitting signs too close to the pitch?
Some advertising that is close to a pitch is made from rubber or materials softer than players, Steel hoardings 4 yards from the in goal is not acceptable IMO

Surely that shows how rare this is?

Had the hoardings been collapsible, surely they'd have blown away in last nights storm? You'd be complaining that they hit a player then!

Seriously, it's a freak accident. Overreacting will not stop freak accidents happening. We can't wrap everyone up in bubble wrap because someone hit a hoarding once. It's unreasonable to expect all the hoardings to be a huge distance away from the dead ball line when the result would mean smaller pitches everywhere just for the sake of one accident in god knows how many years.

There's a case for padding the sponsor boards, but even then I reckon the force he hit it would have done damage.
Posted Image

#188 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

on again from 12 noon

I missed it yesterday with being out after the England game 

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#189 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

If a player lands badly during the course of a game and breaks his leg what do you want me to say?
That is an accident playing the game.
Hitting a metal hoarding that is constructed out of unsuitable materials or is too close to the pitch is something else.
Do you not see the difference?

OK its time to move on but this sort of stuff should not happen, it will have left many fans particularly Australian fans feeling its amateur hour at the English grounds.

As mentioned earlier it was an extremely unfortunate accident. What would be criminal would be for the ARL to destroy the profitability of this world cup to line the pockets of personal injury claim lawyers. The ground has been used in those conditions on many occasions, has jumped through the hoops of uk construction and health and safety regs, this is simply an unfortunate accident!
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#190 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

New Zealand are world champions due to the fact that they won the world cup in 2008.

I wasn't arguing who the world champions are. That doesnt mean they are the best team in the world though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users