Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

03/11/13: World Cup Match 11 - Wales v USA

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wales by 13 points or more (12 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. Wales by 7 to 12 points (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. Wales by 1 to 6 points (4 votes [15.38%])

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. USA by 1 to 6 points (4 votes [15.38%])

6. USA by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

7. USA by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Yes that's no doubt the main reasoning welsh magpie . The organisers have been left with egg on their faces all round with the performances of teams like the US and Scotland ... Best laid plans eh ??!!

#122 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Just read that if USA go through they likely play Australia in Wrexham . I'm pretty staggered they're playing a QF , a really big occasion , in Wrexham ? You think of all the great grounds around yet they pick one which , looking in on telly , always looks a pretty poor ,soulless place for rugby league .

DavidM - you obviously haven't been to a North Wales Crusaders home game; lots of noise and passion at the Racecourse from a fun and friendly crowd. And Wales are a co-host nation; Wrexham bid for the games and obviously had a successful bid which the organisers liked. So why shouldn't Wrexham have a big occasion for a change. We have a Championship team with growing support in the biggest town in North Wales.

Bitterly disappointed with Wales' performance and there are many posting here who have identified our problems; no 6 and 7, poor game plan and the inability to change what wasn't working until 70 minutes on the clock. A change of coach will certainly need consideration.

Positives: North Wales Crusaders will be three seasons old next season so lots of players become available due to residency! 8019 attendance yesterday so lots of potential supporters and young players - NW Cru are offering FREE season tickets for under-15s next season.  North Wales will be pleased to welcome Australia and USA and I am sure once we are over our disappointment of tour early exit from the World Cup we can get behind both teams and create a superb atmosphere.

Edited by gogledd, 04 November 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#123 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

In 2002, 2003 and 2004 France lost each year to Lebanon. They also managed to lose 62-6 to England and lose to Scotland. Just wondering how this made them a better side prior to the elevation of Catalans.

They also had a couple of strong showings against the Kiwis and Aussies, something that has never been repeated.

#124 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

Iestyn shows no passion or enthusiasm, if a coach has them qualities they rub off on players. Wales didn't seem enthusiastic at all.

I'm afraid I can't imagine Iestyn getting excited about anything. Not even a lottery win.

#125 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

The tournament has been great so far, it truly has. But you need to remember that most fans here are England fans and despite England's defeat in Cardiff, England fans have nothing massive to moan about. England look on course for the SF and could be contenders to win the whole tournament. Imagine though if England lost the game against Ireland, I'm sure your opinion of things would be different as an England supporter.

Transfer your allegiance to England to the French or Welsh fan and you'll see why they are probably disappointed. Keep in mind the performances too. I have no idea what French expectations were like before this tournament, I am not in France. France though still have the opportunity to qualify at least! Wales are finished - the World Cup ended for them quicker than it started.

Compare Wales' performances to Scotland's, an 'amateur only' League nation, and you'll see what I mean.

Overall though Wales can do nothing but prepare for 2017 and maybe even 2015 Four Nations.

All the match reports from Wales U14/15/16/17/18/19 v England U14/15/16/17/18/19 are close, tight games so there is still much hope for the future.

It is a shame that Wales has not done better but it isn't particularly surprising. Given that there are only a handful of "proper Welsh" lads in SL, the team were always going to be dependent on heritage players. Their situation isn't really that different from Scotland or Italy.

#126 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

I dont think any stone was left unturned to find Heritage players and I think there must be more than we currently have. Certainly those the Scots and Italians have found appear to be real assets to their teams. That said I think we would all prefer to see our own developed players representing the nation as I think that gives more credibility to the Welsh public at large.

#127 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Heritage players have done Wales proud and kept us afloat for the past ten years.

Craig Kopczak has been a rock this tournament and Mark Lennon used to pay his own fare to come over and turn out. James Gurtens reportedly gave up a paid-for holiday in Vietnam to come at very short notice to play in this tournament. Tyson Frizzell certainly hasn't come for the money and had a stormer yesterday.

No one was laughing and joking after yesterday's loss. These boys are welcome and appreciated.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#128 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

Harris did an interview the other day basically saying he approaches very very few people about playing for Wales and that most have approached him. In a way I like that stance as it brings consistency and commitment to the cause! On the other 1 or 2 class heritage players would make all the difference if discovered and convinced to play.

#129 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Heritage players have done Wales proud and kept us afloat for the past ten years.

Craig Kopczak has been a rock this tournament and Mark Lennon used to pay his own fare to come over and turn out. James Gurtens reportedly gave up a paid-for holiday in Vietnam to come at very short notice to play in this tournament. Tyson Frizzell certainly hasn't come for the money and had a stormer yesterday.

No one was laughing and joking after yesterday's loss. These boys are welcome and appreciated.

For clarity, I meant that we value what we have but it seems to me that key positional players (eg stand off/scrum half) have played better in their respective heritage countries than ours have. I hope Guertjens and Fleming get a run against the Cooks.

Lennon is a legend, top bloke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users