Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Text

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

From October 30th (ie, this Wednesday) Sky Text will shut down.

Now I can't comment for other people, but this used to be my first port of call for Superleague/Championship news, and American sports too, like NHL/MLB/NFL, now we are having to pump our computers up just to find results.

Has anyone spoken to Sky about this? Is this a direct link because Sky have taken over O2 Broadband & want us to use BBand to access their results service?

They say that we can still get results & news via ch 405 Sky Sports News, but I don't want to spend 3/4 of an hour watching football news for a brief newsflash about Rugby League or read a tag line about NHL, and even then we can just see a "Breaking News" flash about a RL story, and then they go to a Ad break.

Any comments? No, didn't think so. British to the end.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Sky text disappeared from Freeview (along with Sky Sports News) a long time ago, as did ITV digital text. only the BBC remains, and with a much-reduced service.ITV text used to be good for Rugby League - better than BBC anyway.

It's just not seen as a cost-effective use of manpower to maintain a text system as well as a website, I suppose.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

<p>I tend to find <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet">this</a> to be quite good for that kind of thing.</p>
People called Romans they go the house

#4 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

If you've got an iPhone it's quick to flick into sportinglife.com for any sport. It contains almost the same news content & results as sky text. I know what you mean though. Sky text was like a comfortable pair of slippers....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users