Sky Text

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

From October 30th (ie, this Wednesday) Sky Text will shut down.

Now I can't comment for other people, but this used to be my first port of call for Superleague/Championship news, and American sports too, like NHL/MLB/NFL, now we are having to pump our computers up just to find results.

Has anyone spoken to Sky about this? Is this a direct link because Sky have taken over O2 Broadband & want us to use BBand to access their results service?

They say that we can still get results & news via ch 405 Sky Sports News, but I don't want to spend 3/4 of an hour watching football news for a brief newsflash about Rugby League or read a tag line about NHL, and even then we can just see a "Breaking News" flash about a RL story, and then they go to a Ad break.

Any comments? No, didn't think so. British to the end.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,568 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Sky text disappeared from Freeview (along with Sky Sports News) a long time ago, as did ITV digital text. only the BBC remains, and with a much-reduced service.ITV text used to be good for Rugby League - better than BBC anyway.

It's just not seen as a cost-effective use of manpower to maintain a text system as well as a website, I suppose.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

<p>I tend to find <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet">this</a> to be quite good for that kind of thing.</p>
People called Romans they go the house

#4 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

If you've got an iPhone it's quick to flick into sportinglife.com for any sport. It contains almost the same news content & results as sky text. I know what you mean though. Sky text was like a comfortable pair of slippers....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users