Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

IS RUGBY LEAGUE TOO HONEST

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Is rugby league too honest when it comes to crowd figures, we know fans are to the point of being OCD when talking about all aspects of crowds. But the game reports actual attendees as figures when all other major sports usually use tickets sold (including walk up fans were applicable) as their figure.
The case in point is evident at premier league and RU matches were empty seats are on show but are recorded as part of the total because the seat was sold.

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

As a game we are not savy, at the end of the international games a player from the actual country should be nominated for the interview. It would give the impression that the team is full of natives and not just heritage players.

The next time England play on the BBC they should have Alibert as the VR, his French accent will look/sound good.

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

IMO RL is too honest for its own good a lot of the time. It's all very well 'telling it like it is' but you don't turn up for a job interview in an old vest and say 'this is me, like it or lump it'.

You should wear a new vest. ;)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,071 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Is rugby league too honest when it comes to crowd figures, we know fans are to the point of being OCD when talking about all aspects of crowds. But the game reports actual attendees as figures when all other major sports usually use tickets sold (including walk up fans were applicable) as their figure.
The case in point is evident at premier league and RU matches were empty seats are on show but are recorded as part of the total because the seat was sold.

We already declare ticket sales rather than bodies.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

If a tickets been sold and they don't turn up you can't sell it again. Can't think of a reason why you wouldn't announce the tickets sold number

#6 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

If you see league games some clubs have bigger season ticket sales than crowd figures
recorded and they include walk ups, this happens at most superleague clubs. the NZ Samoa showed less than the sales,

#7 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

too honest, yes I think so. In this day and age news management is everything. Its not really a question of lying but of ensuring you make sure the version of the truth that gets out is the one that best suites your needs and objectives. :rolleyes:
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,071 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

If you see league games some clubs have bigger season ticket sales than crowd figures
recorded and they include walk ups, this happens at most superleague clubs. the NZ Samoa showed less than the sales,

Examples?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

both warrington and widnes have done this Bradford sold 10000 tickets in the deal season and with walk ups and away fans the totals were around the season ticket sales alone and this is wide spread.

#10 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Wikipedia says RLWC 2013 has attracted 120,000 fans to the first 5 games. That's dishonest IMO.

A Fev Blog

#11 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

If a tickets been sold and they don't turn up you can't sell it again. Can't think of a reason why you wouldn't announce the tickets sold number

But what if a ticket is given away as a freebie and the recipient was not bothered ?

#12 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Wikipedia says RLWC 2013 has attracted 120,000 fans to the first 5 games. That's dishonest IMO.

Screw honesty, we have a fantastic product - use any statistic that we can find to emphasise that and gain positive headlines

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#13 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Wikipedia, the bastion of factual accuracy.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#14 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

As a game we are not savy, at the end of the international games a player from the actual country should be nominated for the interview. It would give the impression that the team is full of natives and not just heritage players.

The next time England play on the BBC they should have Alibert as the VR, his French accent will look/sound good.

I would agree with this. I've felt your frustration a few times over the course of the competition but didn't want to bring it up in a thread simply because the world cup has been awesome so far and the widespread positivity makes a nice change.

But I do feel that interviewing players with a Yorkshire/Lancashire/Australian accent time and time again isn't exactly going to give people a great impression, in spite of the quality of the games.

Then again if coaches, captains and MOTM winners have said accents what are you going to do - ignore them completely?

#15 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

apart from being honest or not being honest we need to hype games a lot better to often we get the usual thing "we will turn up and the best team will win" kind of stuff.

how about "we owe this lot one and we are gonna kick their arses".

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

I would agree with this. I've felt your frustration a few times over the course of the competition but didn't want to bring it up in a thread simply because the world cup has been awesome so far and the widespread positivity makes a nice change.

But I do feel that interviewing players with a Yorkshire/Lancashire/Australian accent time and time again isn't exactly going to give people a great impression, in spite of the quality of the games.

Then again if coaches, captains and MOTM winners have said accents what are you going to do - ignore them completely?

Denmark have some heritage players playing for them (that helped set the sport up there), but always make sure there's a blonde haired, blue eyed young Dane involved with interviews etc http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VassxJ-JSHY

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,071 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

both warrington and widnes have done this Bradford sold 10000 tickets in the deal season and with walk ups and away fans the totals were around the season ticket sales alone and this is wide spread.

You saying they have done it isn't really an example.

I've been out for a morning stroll on Mars.

Give figures for the exact numbers of season tickets and provide figures for the actual games. 

#18 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Definitely need Thierry "Which Button is Non Essai?" Alibert but not the BBC- better on Comedy Central!

#19 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

Quite right. You accentuate the positives - a simple nuance which the "controllers" of the game (media, governing bodies or otherwise) seem oblivious to.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

You saying they have done it isn't really an example.

I've been out for a morning stroll on Mars.

Give figures for the exact numbers of season tickets and provide figures for the actual games. 

It certainly was the case at Bradford during the cheap ticket years. I don't know for sure but if you see a crowd enough times someone can take an educated guess at the attendance (or at least tell the difference between a low "10,000" and a high "10,000").

As for the second line, you could say you were called Peter (name chosen at random!). No-one would really doubt that, unless you happened to conflict that. There's evidence and taking information in good faith.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users