TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

IS RUGBY LEAGUE TOO HONEST

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Wikipedia says RLWC 2013 has attracted 120,000 fans to the first 5 games. That's dishonest IMO.

thats cos someone as counted the opening game has having two 45,000 attandances 

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

It's like this IMO...

We have a WC coming up, and some journalists get a chance to write an article. What sort of headline does it generate? 'Cup could provide tonic for game in crisis'...

Now, given that it is a WC, what possible relevance is internal club wrangling to it? Do we not spend all year talking about crises and lack of money etc etc? Why not just have a break from such talk for once?
It's not about lying or spin, its just about putting your best foot forward sometimes and not washing every single item of dirty laundry in public.

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

I can't see any reason to announce attendances at all.  It's like Tesco announcing how many folk come through their doors.

Nobody's business but that of the folk managing the game.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#24 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Look at how the IRB recorded the 1987 RUWC attendances. They didn't give a stuff just rounded two thirds of them up to the stadium capacity. Anyone who watched this tournament would know that was a lie and nearly all games up to the SF and final had attendances well below capacity. Who cares it gave them a 600k tournament aggregate.

http://stats.espnscr...type=tournament

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

How else are you going to record two crowds of 45,000?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Rugby League has been honest since 1895.

#27 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Denmark have some heritage players playing for them (that helped set the sport up there), but always make sure there's a blonde haired, blue eyed young Dane involved with interviews etc http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VassxJ-JSHY

What handsome and capable chaps they are!

Shame about the over-dressed ex-pat :(

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#28 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

we are way too honest as a sport, and have been for as long as i can remember.. You rarely read a report about the sport without a reference to attempts to expand to non traditional areas and failures of the past. I can't think of any other sport that so frequently refers to its failures, which are then rehashed at every opportunity by people who don't really want the sport to be seen in a favourable light.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#29 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

It certainly was the case at Bradford during the cheap ticket years. I don't know for sure but if you see a crowd enough times someone can take an educated guess at the attendance (or at least tell the difference between a low "10,000" and a high "10,000").

As for the second line, you could say you were called Peter (name chosen at random!). No-one would really doubt that, unless you happened to conflict that. There's evidence and taking information in good faith.

Hang on we have someone coming out with a statement is if its fact that many (most is his word) SL clubs have posted attendances below their season ticket figures.

If you see league games some clubs have bigger season ticket sales than crowd figures
recorded and they include walk ups, this happens at most superleague clubs. the NZ Samoa showed less than the sales, 

Asking to have that backed up by some actual figures isn't asking much. He must have got this notion from some figures somewhere, so lets have them and then we can discuss why? Does he mean some Challenge Cup games have attendances less than the number of ST holders, are we talking play-off games. If the poster provides the figures than it can be discussed, otherwise I may as well claim to be Peter.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I know why, but it's dishonest.

#31 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I know why, but it's dishonest.

Why ?  They were there.  They paid a price that covered two games.  If I buy a season ticket for - say - Fev next year, should I only be counted for one game ? After all, I only have one ticket ................

#32 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

Why ?  They were there.  They paid a price that covered two games.  If I buy a season ticket for - say - Fev next year, should I only be counted for one game ? After all, I only have one ticket ................

Cobblers mate. You can't count 90k for that. They 45,000 people bought one ticket for two matches.

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Cobblers mate. You can't count 90k for that. They 45,000 people bought one ticket for two matches.

A season ticket is one ticket for 13 matches.

#34 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

And?

Were there 90,000 people in the Millenium on saturday or not?

#35 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Wikipedia says RLWC 2013 has attracted 120,000 fans to the first 5 games. That's dishonest IMO.

I doubt it does. 120,000 is the official attendance (or thereabouts). Even if there were no double headers and no counting of tickets sold but bodies not turning up, it is clear that some of those 120,000 will have gone to more than one match.

#36 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

And?

Were there 90,000 people in the Millenium on saturday or not?

Not all at the same time.  But you fall into the trap ...

If 1000 Fev supporters buy a season ticket and come to 13 games, at which game would there be 13000 people in the ground ?

The point I'm making, really, is that attendance figures are interesting but they mean nothing unless you look behind them and there's never enough information to do that.

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Not everywhere. At Warrington it is a book of 13 tickets,

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Not everywhere. At Warrington it is a book of 13 tickets,

Is it a season ticket ?

#39 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

I have noticed that the Australian commentators on Premier Sports have been very good at talking up the crowd numbers, the atmosphere, the culture and history of the game in the north of England, the quality of the games and international rugby league generally.  It doesn't sound contrived, either (I think because its true).  

I hope their style rubs off.  I also hope for much more international rugby league having loved the tournament so far.

#40 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Each match being a seperate event on a seperate day. This instance was a single event there is one attendance for both matches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users