Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

IS RUGBY LEAGUE TOO HONEST

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

The attendance at last year's Challenge Cup final was 160,000 cos 80,000 watched the Under 11s warm up match then another 80,000 watched Wigan v Hull.

It's brilliant this because:

1. Everyone does it.

2. The sponsors love it.

Sheesh.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#62 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,928 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

The attendance at last year's Challenge Cup final was 160,000 cos 80,000 watched the Under 11s warm up match then another 80,000 watched Wigan v Hull.

1. Everyone does it.

2. The sponsors love it.

Sheesh.

No, the attendance was 80,000 for both, it was the same 80,000 people though.

Its bloody simple.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#63 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

It's exactly the same 45,000 people who bought one ticket for one double-event where you could not buy single or separate tickets. Calling that 90,000 fans is dishonest.

All that stuff about season tickets is irrelevent.

An over-the-top example, I admit.

But a deal's a deal - who knows how many bought tickets because it was good value for two games ?

End of the day, £ is the only true measure.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#64 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

End of the day, £ is the only true measure.

Do we count that money twice with so many half-price tickets?

AAARGH!

:fie:  :suicide:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#65 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

Do we count that money twice with so many half-price tickets?

AAARGH!

:fie:  :suicide:

Well, that's another issue.  If people get in for nowt, is it "dishonest" to include them in the attendance ?

They did attend - but they didn't pay.

You decide what the parameters are and interpret the figures accordingly.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#66 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Well, that's another issue.  If people get in for nowt, is it "dishonest" to include them in the attendance ?

They did attend - but they didn't pay.

You decide what the parameters are and interpret the figures accordingly.

They do however end up writing utter bilge in The Times. <_<

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#67 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

No, the attendance was 80,000 for both, it was the same 80,000 people though.

Its bloody simple.

Woosh

#68 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

Wikipedia has now been changed, 91k for the 7 games so far. I think those figures are good, no need for RU style artificial inflation.

#69 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,928 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Woosh

NOT

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#70 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

Wikipedia has now been changed, 91k for the 7 games so far. I think those figures are good, no need for RU style artificial inflation.

Yes, let's leave them to their underhand tricks and substantial sponsorship income. Have you never wondered why they put out endless press releases that trumpet 7.5 billion viewers in 300 countries. Marketing guys don't always read the back up data, they want headlines! If those headlines suggest a thriving sport that has attracted half a million people to it's flagship competition that is far more important than some bizarre desire to be holier than thou in the way we treat statistics.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#71 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,576 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

1. Everyone does it.
2. The sponsors love it.

Sheesh.

Not really, because the Under 11s isn't the Challenge Cup Final.

If you wanted to make your point, Magic Weekend would have been better ;)

Game 1: 30,793
Game 2: 30,793
Game 3: 30,793
Game 4: 30,793
Game 5: 31,249
Game 6: 31,249
Game 7: 31,249

So the aggregate attendance for Magic Weekend was apparently 216,919.

Sponsors will be falling over themselves to get involved with that figure!
Posted Image

#72 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

NOT

No, really. Woosh.

#73 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yes, let's leave them to their underhand tricks and substantial sponsorship income. Have you never wondered why they put out endless press releases that trumpet 7.5 billion viewers in 300 countries. Marketing guys don't always read the back up data, they want headlines! If those headlines suggest a thriving sport that has attracted half a million people to it's flagship competition that is far more important than some bizarre desire to be holier than thou in the way we treat statistics.

Im not sure you understand how it works at all.

#74 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Im not sure you understand how it works at all.

Based upon my unwillingness to accept figures that make us look less successful? Look at where brutal honesty and straight talking has got us, no sponsorship of our flagship competition and incomes dropping at top clubs. Sally Bolton has played the pr game perfectly so far, if she wants to use a method of counting fans that you disagree with all I'm asking is we don't undermine her efforts
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#75 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Based upon my unwillingness to accept figures that make us look less successful? Look at where brutal honesty and straight talking has got us, no sponsorship of our flagship competition and incomes dropping at top clubs. Sally Bolton has played the pr game perfectly so far, if she wants to use a method of counting fans that you disagree with all I'm asking is we don't undermine her efforts

No biggie mate. Companies are not so blasé as to accept any old made up figures when deciding where to invest their money for sponsorship. The reason RU gets such a large wedge is nothing to do with made up numbers.

I don't think this thread will undermine SB's efforts, will it?

FWIW I think RL can look at this WC with all the honesty they want and really use it to promote the game. There's a huge positive vibe coming off it right now.

Also. The figures were on wikipedia. Not seen them quoted elsewhere. Now the figures have been corrected to their true size. No harm done.

#76 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

No biggie mate. Companies are not so blasé as to accept any old made up figures when deciding where to invest their money for sponsorship. The reason RU gets such a large wedge is nothing to do with made up numbers.

I don't think this thread will undermine SB's efforts, will it?

FWIW I think RL can look at this WC with all the honesty they want and really use it to promote the game. There's a huge positive vibe coming off it right now.

Also. The figures were on wikipedia. Not seen them quoted elsewhere. Now the figures have been corrected to their true size. No harm done.

Fair enough mate, I just think we are too brutally honest about our own shortcomings at times yet when there is a great story there to tell we are not even interpreting the figures in a way that would fully support our agenda. You are right in that union and football and cricket have a number of inbuilt advantages over us, that IMHO is why we need to put the best possible spin on them. I'd rather EVERYONE was honest, but I don't want to be the honest pauper claiming that no one else played fair :)

#77 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Fair enough mate, I just think we are too brutally honest about our own shortcomings at times yet when there is a great story there to tell we are not even interpreting the figures in a way that would fully support our agenda. You are right in that union and football and cricket have a number of inbuilt advantages over us, that IMHO is why we need to put the best possible spin on them. I'd rather EVERYONE was honest, but I don't want to be the honest pauper claiming that no one else played fair :)

Yes, of course. I agree with all that. I know 'spin' is a dirty word for some, but RL needs to be as savvy as everyone else when it comes to selling itself. Something the sport's historically failed to do for various reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users