Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Scotland v Tonga

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

What a turn up. 20-4 to Scotland at half time. Brough and Wallace seem to be destroying Tonga. Mind you narrow pitch and pouring rain hasn't helped Tonga. Gate has been about 10,000 I think. Having to make do with 5 live.

Can't believe that England play Australia at RU at Twickenham. KO 2.30 for both that and England v Ireland in WC. Which game will have the most excitement, speed, skills & tries.

Posted Image

#2 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Like to know how long the World Cup fixtures were out compared to the RU fixtures. Doesn't seem right really, but theres always sky plus.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#3 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

That last try by Scotland was to me a bit dubious. Don't know the ins and outs of the rules but can you score a try with your elbow

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#4 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Controversy. Scotland won 26-24. Tonga had try disallowed on final hooter.

Posted Image

#5 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Tonga have had 4 disallowed in the 2nd half.. was another great game. Crowd of 7600ish.. oh I wish the BBC or itv had of bid for this and shown the country what a great sport it really is.

#6 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

What a turn up. 20-4 to Scotland at half time. Brough and Wallace seem to be destroying Tonga. Mind you narrow pitch and pouring rain hasn't helped Tonga. Gate has been about 10,000 I think. Having to make do with 5 live.

Can't believe that England play Australia at RU at Twickenham. KO 2.30 for both that and England v Ireland in WC. Which game will have the most excitement, speed, skills & tries.

Ah! the curse of the "narrow pitch" at DP crack strikes again. its the same for both teams michael. i often look at other pitches in our leagues and cant see the massive difference in pitch sizes from DP. a very well organised night that did cumbria proud and a very good match too.

#7 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Ah! the curse of the "narrow pitch" at DP crack strikes again. its the same for both teams michael. i often look at other pitches in our leagues and cant see the massive difference in pitch sizes from DP. a very well organised night that did cumbria proud and a very good match too.

town4me, can you enlighten us with the actual width of the Derwent Park pitch compared with the 68m laid down by the RLIF?

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#8 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Great night for Cumbrian RL & especially Scotland, drama throughout the game and right up the the final hooter and beyond, Worky did very well hosting, read some good articles in the media about how the town/club prepared for the games and events put on for the fans, shocking that the games not televised, thank god for the internet & vipbox 

#9 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

A great night but shambolic crowd control.

I take it you weren't trapped at the video screen end with the 200-300 people (including us) with tickets for the popular side who couldn't get in there because it was already packed full? 

I can only presume that people with tickets for the town end had somehow got in through the popular side turnstiles and they hadn't had their tickets checked properly. Either that or someone has grossly exaggerated the capacity of the ground in order to maximise ticket sales at the expense of crowd control/safety.

10,000??? The capacity of DP should be 7000 tops, imho, for safety's sake if nothing else

Could also have done with some lighting around the exits from the car park. It was a little scary shuffling across that bridge in a big crowd in complete darkness. If someone had slipped it could have been disastrous.

Nice scam on the half time draw, though. On the ticket it said "50% of total monies raised to be paid out in prize money".

Half time draw takes place and the announcer says the winner gets £200: A 7600 crowd and they just happened to sell exactly 400 tickets.

What are the chances?

Cracking game, mind!

#10 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

Totally agree with Dave, as a Town supporter last night's game showed me just how outdated our stadiums are in Cumbria and how they are not really fit for purpose in the modern era.

I was on the popular side and there was plenty of space towards the opposite end of the big screen, but you had to fight your way through the crowd to get to that part of the ground.

The terracing is very low, so you do struggle to get a good view of the ground, but i would say that's the same at The Rec and Craven Park unfortunately.

As much as I enjoy standing for the atmosphere, I would have preferred to have had a seat in the grandstand to watch teh game in comfort and have a good view of everything.

That said, hats off to Workington Town and Allerdale, they have done a magnificent job in promoting the game locally and hopefully Sunday's crowd will be close to a sell-out

#11 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Didn't want to put too negative a spin on it as it was such a magnificent occasion and one of the most exciting big games I've seen in a long time.

It was nice to see the old lady DP with a bit of a facelift; I just think the organisation on the night could have been better. Hopefully some lessons will have been learned in time to be implemented in time for Sunday's game. Hiring a temporary light for that bridge area on the way in is a must, I'd argue.

I hope as well that by Sunday someone will have figured out how to work the clock on the electronic scoreboard and how to get the team name in the right coloured lights (Tonga played in red - BLUE lights on the scoreboard; Scotland played in blue - RED lights on the scoreboard) :tongue:

#12 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Sorry Dave. The comment of 10,000 gate was my hearing. It was about 7,630 according to the Mail. Your comments are a bit negative Dave and it was the biggest DP crowd for 20 years. Mind you I was sat in the warmth in an armchair listening to Five Live. Why wasn't Andrew Henderson playing. Well done Scotland.and good luck on Sunday.

Posted Image

#13 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Sorry Dave. The comment of 10,000 gate was my hearing. It was about 7,630 according to the Mail. Your comments are a bit negative Dave and it was the biggest DP crowd for 20 years. Mind you I was sat in the warmth in an armchair listening to Five Live. Why wasn't Andrew Henderson playing. Well done Scotland.and good luck on Sunday.

I was there and it was a little scary getting off the site, Mike; lots of young kids and elderly people in the throng: When you're talking about crowd control and safety you can't afford to be complacent and I think the organisers overstretched themselves with regard to ground capacity and crowd dispersal.

#14 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi Dave W, from what I am lead to believe, the electronic score board timer cannot be used for games on the TV that is for home games only, the official timer for the game was above the tunnel, its something to do with the RL, I am sure Keith T could explain this better, as for the colours on the score board I must admit I didn't notice this, we were in the Pop side and although it was full there was space for specys to stand, as for the lights I am sure this will be resolved for Sunday, as you say it was bad, and would only take one light to sort it out. 

All in all I don't think it was a bad night, Town and Allerdale council did a great job in bringing this great event to Cumbria after Havens and Dopelands  -ock up.

Well done on attending I know of a few who wouldn't attend coz they didn't get the match on there patch ;)

#15 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

town4me, can you enlighten us with the actual width of the Derwent Park pitch compared with the 68m laid down by the RLIF?

no however Whatever the size its same for both teams.

#16 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

I would certainly have gone with my wife if I had thought of staying overnight and got grand stand tickets.

These days I don't fancy the drive at night in the dark down that road

You are of course right Dave about the safety issue.

Posted Image

#17 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

The scoreboard at DP is operated by Town club officials not the timekeepers. The clock that was situated at the tunnel is connected with the official timekeepers. In some Town matches we have instances where the clock has run it's 40 minutes but the hooter hasn't sounded and vice versa, so the scoreboard clock is only used at Town matches as a "guide" to how long there is to play.

Andrew Henderson was down at Clarence House, London, yesterday morning meeting Prince Charles with representatives of all the competing nations. He made it back in time for kick-off and was sat with Steve McCormack.

I was sat in the grandstand and noticed that there was room in the popularside terracing at the town end but people at the river end weren't for moving along to allow those standing at the river end path to get in. I heard several people mentioning how dark it was after the match near the little bridge and hopefully the club will look in to getting some sort of temporary lighting for Sunday.

All in all though it was an excellent evenings entertainment and I can't wait for Sunday.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#18 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Aside from my quibbles it was a fantastic occasion.

Nice to come away from Derwent Park buzzing for a change!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users