Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Room heaters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heartofGold

heartofGold
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

Anyone have any advice or experience of fan/oil/halogen etc heaters?  Which are economic to run and give good warmth?  We don't have central heating or a chimney.  Thanks

oy shked helwa el horiya

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

Get a jumper on and stop being so soft.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#3 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I've got a couple of Oil heaters (Delonghi Dragon) that do a decent job.  My central heating is a bit iffy so they knock the edge off nicely.  However, I've got no moral objections (or outrage towards) wearing an extra jumper so my house can be cold!

I think the fans and halogen will warm a room quicker but the oil filled ones are more efficient.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

I agree oil heaters are better if you are going to run them all day.

Fan heaters make a lot of noise but don't produce a lot of heat.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Oil filled heaters are efficient, but take longer to have an effect. But if you get one with a timer, you can have it set to switch on in time for you to have a warm room when you come home from work.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

My take and experience on this?

Halogen ones for a quick warm up.  You are looking at say 400 or 500 watts per "bar" which really is a halogen light bulb.. so a 4 bar one uses 1600 watts. They don't heat the room, though, in any meaningful way, but they heat  up anything they are pointing at..like you if you sit in front of it. Best for when you are not going to spend long in that room.

Oil filled radiators take a while to heat up  but retain the heat. They warm the air passing the radiator so ultimately they will heat the room. Usually rated at 2.5 or 3  kw.  Best for when you are going to be in the room for a while

You can estimate your costs  from the unit price on your electricity bill.

You could also consider this: https://www.ofgem.go...-obligation-eco  or this http://www.help-link...fordable-warmth

My daugher is disabled and her husband is her carer. They qualify and are going ahead with it as the currently have storage heaters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users