Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

From a post on this forum to a RLWC match in Bristol...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Just over 11 years ago, Phil C came on the TotalRL forum and posted a message about a meeting that had been arranged to talk about setting up an amateur club in Bristol.

A few weeks later, the Sonics were formed.

11 years on, the Rugby League World Cup is coming to the city. Seriously, how amazing is that?

http://www.bristolso...ise-in-bristol/
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

That's great stuff and just shows that things are worth sticking with. Well done to all concerned, a first rate job.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Fantastic!

#4 amh

amh
  • 11,084 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

:) :) :) :)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Just over 11 years ago, Phil C came on the TotalRL forum and posted a message about a meeting that had been arranged to talk about setting up an amateur club in Bristol.A few weeks later, the Sonics were formed.11 years on, the Rugby League World Cup is coming to the city. Seriously, how amazing is that?http://www.bristolso...ise-in-bristol/

Met that young fellow at breakfast in Workington this morning. He did confirm he would be travelling south later today as well!

#6 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Met that young fellow at breakfast in Workington this morning. He did confirm he would be travelling south later today as well!

Phil's dedication to the RL cause - especially international RL - is astonishing. So far he's been at every game bar the PNG-France one. Sadly work + RLWC media stuff means I can't get to as many as I'd like (though I am at all the Cook Islands' games, plus the semis and final, and was at the opener).

Phil's story is impressive, too. He was brought up a Gloucester union fan and then had a road to damascus (well, road to Wigan) conversion after watching the '96 cross-code games. Since then League has been one of his major passions - and, of course, he was instrumental in getting the Sonics up and running.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to have a pint with him at some point after the match tonight, so we can reflect on what I'm sure will be an amazing evening.
www.bristolsonics.com

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'll be getting there relatively early this evening if anyone fancies meeting up for a drink beforehand

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,089 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Just over 11 years ago, Phil C came on the TotalRL forum and posted a message about a meeting that had been arranged to talk about setting up an amateur club in Bristol.

11 years on, the Rugby League World Cup is coming to the city. Seriously, how amazing is that?

Wonderful stuff! :) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

I rem

I remember meeting you both at Wakefield early 2000. Some journey since then and a credit. 

#10 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

I honestly thought that tonight would be simply be another 'trial' game away from the heartlands ... but it's clear to me now that there's a lot significance to it in terms of a milestone in the development of TGG in the West Country (forgive me if Bristol isn't classed as that far SW). I'm sure there will be a small crowd of you involved in this story over the past 12 years who, behind the enjoyment of the match itself, will feeling a bit 'emotional' tonight at these thoughts.. :)

#11 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

well done to everyone in Bristol

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Sounds like its been a great event, hats off to everyone involved, hope those that made it happen are taking time out to enjoy it!

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

Sonics, milk this for all its worth. You deserve to, should do, your entitled to.

7.2k when people were saying if you make 2k its progress is fantastic.

OK the council put in all the ground work and money, but without your persistence in being there and fighting the cause would they have really felt it worth it. I doubt it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#14 Walter

Walter
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

absolutely made up for everybody connected with the gaame at Bristol tonight.

The Wizards had the pleasure of facing Bristol twice last year and I know from speaking to everybody who went down to the game at Bristol that they were a fantastic club and having seen them for myself at Wilderspool there are great people who are running the club.

Well done to all and keep the flag flying for the greatest game of all

#15 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

The Guardian's match report includes quite a bit about the Sonics.
http://www.theguardi...ands?CMP=twt_gu
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#16 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Phil's dedication to the RL cause - especially international RL - is astonishing. So far he's been at every game bar the PNG-France one. Sadly work + RLWC media stuff means I can't get to as many as I'd like (though I am at all the Cook Islands' games, plus the semis and final, and was at the opener).

Phil's story is impressive, too. He was brought up a Gloucester union fan and then had a road to damascus (well, road to Wigan) conversion after watching the '96 cross-code games. Since then League has been one of his major passions - and, of course, he was instrumental in getting the Sonics up and running.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to have a pint with him at some point after the match tonight, so we can reflect on what I'm sure will be an amazing evening.

In fairness WCE, I don't think that your own efforts should go without recognition either.  I shall mention this to your dwarfish brother when I see him next.

#17 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

In fairness WCE, I don't think that your own efforts should go without recognition either.  I shall mention this to your dwarfish brother when I see him next.

Good luck with that - he's slowly making his way round South East Asia for four months with his wife. Chatted to him on Skype yesterday, live from a bar somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Thailand. Bizarre!

There's a lot of people involved in the Sonics who deserve credit. Most of those were at the game yesterday. We also bumped into loads of former players we've not seen in donkeys, which is good.

Whatever happens in future, we can enjoy this. We'll keep working hard to promote TGG in the region, as will all the others at clubs like Swindon, Gloucester, Somerset etc. The sport is still very small, but it's growing, and after last night we should get a bit of a boost. Certainly all the long-suffering volunteers will be re-enthused, which is very important.
www.bristolsonics.com

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

what a superb attendance figure for a wednesday night, this one game has done more for expansion in one night than has happened in the last couple of years, get sonics in the league and fast......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

We're doing our bit to capitalise on the interest created in these parts last night: http://www.bristolso...ld-cup-success/
www.bristolsonics.com

#20 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:12 PM